Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banjo stolen on shop street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It'd no grey area. Taking something you don't own of high value when purposefully left in place is theft plain and simple.

It is wrong however to consistently leave a banjo unattended in order to maintain a place and this was likely to happen at some point. Other buskers have an entitlement too to a place there and it's a good lesson for all involved.

I do hope he gets his banjo back and learns to share the space accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Get him to talk to the community warden who was on duty, as well as the guys who were driving the bin emptying van. If it was just left there they may have picked it up and slung it into the back of their van in the course of doing their jobs. If they couldn't see or find an obvious owner it may be safely left aside somewhere.

10:30 on a Sunday morning isn't a hugely busy time around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fey! wrote: »
    Get him to talk to the community warden who was on duty, as well as the guys who were driving the bin emptying van. If it was just left there they may have picked it up and slung it into the back of their van in the course of doing their jobs. If they couldn't see or find an obvious owner it may be safely left aside somewhere.

10:30 on a Sunday morning isn't a hugely busy time around there.

I'd be very surprised if the CWs and bin-guys aren't already well acquainted with James, and if they didn't know that a pitch-marking banjo outside Easons would be his.

And if surprised also to find a CW on duty at 11am on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd be very surprised if the CWs and bin-guys aren't already well acquainted with James, and if they didn't know that a pitch-marking banjo outside Easons would be his.

There could be one who wouldn't normally be in that area and wouldn't know the locals, and they're around most of the day on Sundays now afaik (I met one Saturday morning on duty at 7:15am).

Either way, it would be a simple thing to check just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah I don't think they're on at all on Sunday are they? Isn't that why more people sell stuff on street on Sunday.

I'd agree, they'd probably all know James from around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

You'd need to be a bad article to swipe a banjo from the street like that- regardless of whether it was manned or not. What the hell is wrong with people in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

could one of the residents on the street have taken it to shut him up, a ballady banjo in the morning might not be everyone's cuppa, esp if it's a Sunday morning

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

jkforde wrote: »
    could one of the residents on the street have taken it to shut him up, a ballady banjo in the morning might not be everyone's cuppa, esp if it's a Sunday morning

That could be said of all the buskers to be fair. Still not right, it's taking away his work.

It's still missing . Thanks to everyone for looking out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

jkforde wrote: »

Don't think there are any residents on Shop Street anymore. Una could have set the dogs on him if she was still alive though. Hope he gets it back - best busker I've seen in Galway in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

finlma wrote: »
    Hope its found alive and well.

Sorry I had to borrow it for something

zombieland-banjo-570x710.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gambas wrote: »
    Don't think there are any residents on Shop Street anymore. Una could have set the dogs on him if she was still alive though. Hope he gets it back - best busker I've seen in Galway in recent years.

I don't know about that exact section of Shop St itself. But there are definitely residents just a little further down in High St, up in Williamsgate St, and people down Church Lane.

In general you can assume that there are people living at the top of most buidlings in the inner city.

It would be lovely if people could remember this when they roll out of the pubs/clubs at night. (But unrealistic I know. And yes, we knew that when we moved in.)

I don't know about that exact section of Shop St itself. But there are definitely residents just a little further down in High St, up in Williamsgate St, and people down Church Lane.

In general you can assume that there are people living at the top of most buidlings in the inner city.

It would be lovely if people could remember this when they roll out of the pubs/clubs at night. (But unrealistic I know. And yes, we knew that when we moved in.)

Yeah I lived in a flat in this area for years. There are more people living in this are than you'd think. Noise starts with street sweepers, continues with kegs for pubs, delivery vans, buskers, clubs and drunks.

TBH It doesn't matter how good the buskers are - you'll always be driven mad by the ones that play contrary to your sleep cycle - and that can be morning OR late night (although the ordinance favours people with 'regular hours').

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jimmy's best bet more than anything if he has not done this already is to put signs around the music session pubs, Taaffes, Tigh Cholis, Neachtains and the Crane bar and the same with select session houses around the country like Cruise's in Ennis, Donaghue's, Hughe's, The White Horse and the Brazen Head in Dublin. I would also put this up in the trad music section of the music forum in Boards and post also on the Session.org discussions forum. Even an email message to Irish Music Magazine as the trad communities tends to rally around and look out for other musicians, especially if their instrument is nicked. I had a German friend in Dublin who had his uilleann pipes nicked, eventually he found them again through friends from the session pubs in Dublin.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I created an OP for this in the Session.org, so there is another source to try and check on, I'll post the link here http://thesession.org/discussions/33475
    Hopefully it will show up and good luck.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Jimmy's best bet more than anything if he has not done this already is to put signs around the music session pubs, Taaffes, Tigh Cholis, Neachtains and the Crane bar and the same with select session houses around the country like Cruise's in Ennis, Donaghue's, Hughe's, The White Horse and the Brazen Head in Dublin. I would also put this up in the trad music section of the music forum in Boards and post also on the Session.org discussions forum. Even an email message to Irish Music Magazine as the trad communities tends to rally around and look out for other musicians, especially if their instrument is nicked. I had a German friend in Dublin who had his uilleann pipes nicked, eventually he found them again through friends from the session pubs in Dublin.

It's a bluegrass banjo too I believe? So might show up at venues a bit outside the net IF someone nicked it just to play (though unlikely- I'd say to sell if anything). I'd reckon a youngster bored and acting the eejit tbh. Hope it's not in a bin somewhere, that would be a shame.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's a bluegrass banjo too I believe? So might show up at venues a bit outside the net IF someone nicked it just to play (though unlikely- I'd say to sell if anything). I'd reckon a youngster bored and acting the eejit tbh. Hope it's not in a bin somewhere, that would be a shame.

That's the worst thought- looked around to see if it was just robbed on a whim and dumped bit haven't had much luck.
    Fair play to everyone who's helped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

That guy is an awesome busker.

I've seen better buskers, he needs to get a style of his own, he's convinced he's a reincarnation of luke Kelly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

There was literally just an ad for done deal on RTE2 showing them typing "banjo" into the search field. Anyone else see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I saw him playing today, don't know if he got the same banjo back or got another one. The case had a purple lining today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Nah. Still missing. He's using a borrowed one for the moment.

• Advertisement

Nah. Still missing. He's using a borrowed one for the moment.

This! Thanks guys- I'll update if found

Advertisement