Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox one - does it have wifi?

Options
  • 02-03-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Thinking of getting son a Xbox one for birthday. I have read that there is some one off set up that needs to be done over the net. Will the Xbox work with wifi or do I need to get a 20ft cable to reach where the Xbox will be!?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Eldrew wrote: »
    Thinking of getting son a Xbox one for birthday. I have read that there is some one off set up that needs to be done over the net. Will the Xbox work with wifi or do I need to get a 20ft cable to reach where the Xbox will be!?

Thanks

Has built in wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

Thanks - so why do they say you need Ethernet cable for initial download?

Thanks - so why do they say you need Ethernet cable for initial download?

People where saying that if you dropped connection during the download it could brick the Xbox. I done it over WiFi with no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thanks

Just as an FYI Argos have them at 469.99 with fifa and plants vs zombies at the minute which is the best deal i've seen so far

Thanks for your replies. Final question - XBox or PS4? I know little about either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks for your replies. Final question - XBox or PS4? I know little about either.

You should get him the machine that most of his friends have so he'll be able to play with them. while most of the games will be available on both consoles, he'll only be able to play with people who have the same console that he has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As has been mentioned, get him what his friends have.

Using your smart phone, check your WiFi signal in that area, make sure that it is a good connection, at least three bars. These new consoles are designed to be hooked up at all times, and you'll get the most out of the console witrh a good internet connection.

If you don't think the wifi will be good enough, you could get something like this, it will allow you to use the power cable in the walls to connect to your router. I use them and they are truly great. Saves having to run a cable over the floor.

See an example here.

CatInABox wrote: »
    As has been mentioned, get him what his friends have.

Using your smart phone, check your WiFi signal in that area, make sure that it is a good connection, at least three bars. These new consoles are designed to be hooked up at all times, and you'll get the most out of the console witrh a good internet connection.

If you don't think the wifi will be good enough, you could get something like this, it will allow you to use the power cable in the walls to connect to your router. I use them and they are truly great. Saves having to run a cable over the floor.

See an example here.

Interesting. I only have satellite broadband so it isnt that strong. How do these work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Interesting. I only have satellite broadband so it isnt that strong. How do these work?

I highly recommend www.speedtest.net to see what your connection speeds are like. You can then post the results here.

I highly recommend www.speedtest.net to see what your connection speeds are like. You can then post the results here.

Ok here are my results - I presume they are woeful? Im paying 35 pm for this but net is only used for general browsing.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3345855104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Ok here are my results - I presume they are woeful? Im paying 35 pm for this but net is only used for general browsing.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3345855104

Yikes, your're just about making the minimum requirements for online gaming. Ping can be an issue with satillte broadband, it hops up and down regularly. Is there no DSL broadband in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One other thing to check is your broadband download allowance. If you're limited to 15gb a month, this could be eaten up by system updates, game downloads and patches.

Battlefield 4 for example regularly has patches that are several gigabytes each. If your son wants to use the Console for streaming youtube or downloading games and demos, you're probably gonna run into issues with a low download allowance.

No DSL for me unfortunately. Will only be playing games with console - nothing on line bar initial setup I think.

Its looking a bit better this morning - see below.
    The download speed for the package I pay for is 6mb

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3346914184

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, if you are not going to be playing online, then you are totally fine.

Those adapters I posted aren't really to do with your broadband, they are essentially like an alternative cable in your house.

If your WiFi in the area that you are going to be putting your console is terrible, the only way to hook it up would be to run a network cable from your broadband router to your console.

If running a cable is a bit of a hassle, then what you can use is those adapters I posted. Simply plug one into the wall near your router, and one near your console, then run a short cable from your router to the first adapter, and then from the second adapter to your console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Permanet aren't satellite, it's long range wireless broadband - essentially broadband over radio frequencies. I use permanet at my house in Kerry for xbox live all the time and it's generally fine unless the weather gets very bad. Should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 decon the recon

No they brought out another xbox 360 with built in wifi xbox one doesn't

No they brought out another xbox 360 with built in wifi xbox one doesn't

Yes it has. You obviously have no idea what your talking about

Advertisement