Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Gigabit ADSL Router with 3G Backup?

Options
  • 02-03-2014 10:51pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am looking for an ADSL router with a backup 3G option, something similar to the Eircom Zyxel F1000. It would have to faciltate VLAN's, mobile isolation, port forwarding, WPA2-Enterprise, guest wireless and QoS.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Mikrotik RB750GL with an ethernet 3G router, though ideally I would like the 3G backup only to be used when the ADSL goes down, so I wouldn't have to pay monthly. The hope is only to pay per day for the days the ADSL goes down on a Pre-pay basis. Is this possible? The problem with the 3G ethernet modem is that I would be paying for it all the time.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Mr. G wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am looking for an ADSL router with a backup 3G option, something similar to the Eircom Zyxel F1000. It would have to faciltate VLAN's, mobile isolation, port forwarding, WPA2-Enterprise, guest wireless and QoS.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Mikrotik RB750GL with an ethernet 3G router, though ideally I would like the 3G backup only to be used when the ADSL goes down, so I wouldn't have to pay monthly. The hope is only to pay per day for the days the ADSL goes down on a Pre-pay basis. Is this possible? The problem with the 3G ethernet modem is that I would be paying for it all the time.

Thanks in advance

There are plenty of different failover scripts available for Mikrotik RouterOS, what you do is set up the RB750 with 2x Wans using one ethernet and usb and a script watchdog pings some external ip and changes the default route to the other gateway if the main route is down. See the links I posted in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89132327

Why not go for the RB951, it's a much more powerful cpu, has 128MB ram and wireless. More ram makes a huge difference if you have Vlans and QOS

Advertisement