Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this February: March edition

Options
  • 03-03-2014 12:45am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty lousy February for me. Beat Riviera: The Promised Land and finished a new game plus of Shin Megami Tensei IV and the DLC Bosses. All my home and PC games are no hold since with my job I just don't have the time to play them so it's going to be portable for the next while.

This month I'm hoping to finish Lunar Silver Star Harmony for PSP and Super Mario 3D World on WiiU.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Played Condemned again myself, 8 years later :eek:

Melee mechanics still sucked but enjoyed the story and the lack of hand holding there was then, as in if this came out today there would have been a mini map with a big pointy arrow to where you were meant to go next.

Oh played through Dante's Inferno again too, ok story but very poor in terms of looks and the kind of games it's classed with even for it's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Beat Risk of Rain with one character. Its a fun game that doesn't require a lot of commitment. It can be hard if you mess up the first level. It's a casual game for hardcore gamers :pac:

I'm ashamed to say that I gave up on Mass Effect 2 after previously giving up on the first one. That series is massively over-rated. The combat system is so dire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep combat system is a bit dull and the story generic fantasy with a sci-fi paint job but I had a lot of fun role-playing Shepard. I think the trick is to role play it and live with the decisions you make. It's boring if you just go with the good decisions all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Finished off Dust: An Elysian Tale and Ilo Milo in the last few days. IloMilo had been sitting idle for years so I just wanted to get it out from under me.

Played what little more of Hydrophobia I'm ever going to play so have cleared all 3 games off the Hard drive.

Fingers crossed I can knock Assassins Creed 3 and Deus Ex: HR off the list in the next few weeks and keep this completion drive rolling.

At the very end of System Shock 2 (Last level, My first full playthrough 14 - 15 hours;
    I'm at the part that looks like tron
    I remember back in 1999 - I was 14 at the time and I had the PC Gamer demo CD (the random spawn thing freaked me out and I stopped playing the demo shortly after) which was the last time I played it before purchasing the GOG version this year.

I have to say a stunning achievement that's it's still ahead of it's time. I can see how much influence it had on Bioshock and only realise it now, It nearly feels like an identical story at times, although the game machanics are much more indepth and the game is probably one of the creepiest I have ever played. I cannot wait to play this through again.

However, trying to progress through the game was a nightmare at times, I normally consider myself a pretty good gamer but man, there was a couple of sections in the game where I could not for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to be doing so I had to use a walkthrough in certain sections. The last 4 hours were a nightmare.

Am I the only one who struggled? I feel kind of ****e when I had to refer to a walkthrough to progress, but I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where I was supposed to go next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I pretty much knew where I had to go the whole time. The only big negative where ****ty jumping sections near the end and that kind of boss bit before the part you are at.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I pretty much knew where I had to go the whole time. The only big negative where ****ty jumping sections near the end and that kind of boss bit before the part you are at.

Were the objectives that obvious? Unless I missed something in th UI? Navigation was my biggest issue.
    :o

They aren't spoon fed to you. You get clues in the audio logs and environment. There should be a log of objectives as well. You just have to do a bit of exploring as well sometimes. It only ever really gives you the general direction you need to be going in.

Yep combat system is a bit dull and the story generic fantasy with a sci-fi paint job but I had a lot of fun role-playing Shepard. I think the trick is to role play it and live with the decisions you make. It's boring if you just go with the good decisions all the time.

I tend to always do what I want when a choice is laid in front of me. Forcing yourself into good/bad isn't very fun. I usually end being pure evil anyway. I really should finish it since the universe it creates is quite colourful and full of interesting characters. I have dropped the difficulty to the easiest so I can just breeze through the combat.

I can't wait for the south park game to come out

They aren't spoon fed to you. You get clues in the audio logs and environment. There should be a log of objectives as well. You just have to do a bit of exploring as well sometimes. It only ever really gives you the general direction you need to be going in.
    Going to attempt a hard or impossible playthrough next, and do my best to stay clear of any online help. My character was weapons expert / hacker but not sure what to go for now. Any suggestions on setup for an impossible playthrough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Walking Dead Season 1

I played and loved episode 1 about 6 months ago and downloaded the rest when they were on sale. Unfortunately, there was bug that wouldn't let me start Ep.2

Long story short, a recet update seems to have solved the problem and I'm finishing Ep. 5 tonight.

Superb.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Going to attempt a hard or impossible playthrough next, and do my best to stay clear of any online help. My character was weapons expert / hacker but not sure what to go for now. Any suggestions on setup for an impossible playthrough?

Go full psi-ops or psi with some hacker skills.

Go full psi-ops or psi with some hacker skills.

Niceone Psi ops hacker it is, just completed the game there...
    LOL @ the ending "Nah" was not expecting that. Kind of disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The Walking Dead season one.

Played the first four episodes back in November and got distracted by other games. Have been looking at it in my Steam library since then and finally played through episode five at the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot though it didn't seem to pack the emotional punch for me that many rate it so highly for. Would recommend it highly, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished Metro Last Light the other night and it's dlc last night.

Had a lot of fun with it, loved the world and the story was good. I will say it's a generally very easy even on hardcore. No one seems to be able to see you at all if you are in the dark.

It also has at least one major difficulty spike or at least I thought so. I was cruising along the game and then there is a section where you must hold your ground for a bit. My god.. must have dies 20 times doing that.

Also shocked to find out I got the bad ending since I thought I did plenty of good and did my best not to kill people.

Overall it was great.. hopefully I'll get around to the first game someday.

Next up is Tomb Raider I would say. (More PS + goodness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Just beat Dead Space, found it really exciting for the first few chapters as I found it pretty frightening! Not gonna lie, fell into a bit of a slump through the mid levels and it became a bit of a grind for me but the last few chapters drew me right back in to the end which I found really enjoyable.

I shall begin with Dead Space 2 soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just beat Dead Space, found it really exciting for the first few chapters as I found it pretty frightening! Not gonna lie, fell into a bit of a slump through the mid levels and it became a bit of a grind for me but the last few chapters drew me right back in to the end which I found really enjoyable.

I shall begin with Dead Space 2 soon enough

2 and 3 aren't half as good.

I felt DS1 dragged a lot. I started Dead Space 2 and couldn't be bothered to play more than 3 hours. So dull.

It turns into a generic shooter very quickly imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

MadYaker wrote: »
    2 and 3 aren't half as good.

Really? Damn...judging by the review scores I was expecting an even better game in 2....I knew not to expect anything from 3 and wasn't gonna bother with it tbh

• Advertisement

Christ Super Mario 3D World just keeps on giving. Every time I think I'm nearly finished it it keeps giving me new worlds to play. It's insane how much content this game has! Needless to say I'm no where near done with it yet!

Really? Damn...judging by the review scores I was expecting an even better game in 2....I knew not to expect anything from 3 and wasn't gonna bother with it tbh

Harsh critics here, DS2 was atmospheric and genuinely unsettling. Not a generic shooter.

As for DS3 yes I can agree it's a generic shooter

Finally beat Lunar Silver Star Harmony. The battle system kind of dragged but it was just so unpretentious and fun with great characters that I couldn't help but like it. Story got interesting towards the end. It's pretty much the game ni no Kuni should have been. It felt very like Grandia and was made by the same people. Thankfully Grandia has a much better battle system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

-metal gear peace walker
    -journey
    -brothers a tale of two sons all finished
    a bit into metro last light and starting southpark tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished Tomb Raider earlier.. Didn't want to leave it with Dark Souls 2 around so played a bit last night and finished it this morning.

Had a lot of fun with it but I hope the next game is an awful lot different. There were a load of set pieces in this that were all very familiar. I understand having them but it get's a bit boring when they are so similar.

Hopefully with the next one they will have a bit more variety and we actually get to go tomb raiding!

Now. back to Dark Souls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Beat Castlevania Symphony of the Night yesterday for the first time. Downloaded it on XBLA when it came oout but never played it.

Really wish I didn't sell me DS and GBA Castlevania games now.... :(

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Beat Castlevania Symphony of the Night yesterday for the first time. Downloaded it on XBLA when it came oout but never played it.

Really wish I didn't sell me DS and GBA Castlevania games now.... :(

Did you really beat it though? If you haven't gotten to the inverted castle then you've only completed less than half the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Did you really beat it though? If you haven't gotten to the inverted castle then you've only completed less than half the game :)

200.6% :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I got to the inverted castle in this and then found the difficulty spike to be huge. I'll get back to it again some day when I've less of a back log.

• Advertisement

djkeogh wrote: »
    I got to the inverted castle in this and then found the difficulty spike to be huge. I'll get back to it again some day when I've less of a back log.

When you get to the inverted castle you have all your exploration tools so there's plenty of places to go. So bosses are really tough unless you level up like Beezlebub so it's best to take them out later in the game.

A bit like Dark Souls.

Speaking of which Dark Souls 2 has completely halted my progress on every other home console game :)

Advertisement