Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a Chippy Van

Options
  • 03-03-2014 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I am highly considering buying a chippy van and hopefully get a pitch somewhere near Letterkenny but would like to know whats your views & experiences on owning & running one, profits, pitfalls, highs and lows etc any help & advice i'll be gratefull! I have done all the research & know all the back ground things like insurance, certs, suppliers etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

My brother owned one way back in the day and it was a lot of work. Loads of cleaning during the day to keep things right was what really got to him. It was good craic though (I worked for him) but at the same time if you're doing late nights you see a pretty unpleasant side of people.

Also if you overfill a certain type of sauce bottle it'll fire a small amount of ketchup on to the ceiling every time you put it down. Took ages to work out what was going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Charliexxx wrote: »
    Hi I am highly considering buying a chippy van and hopefully get a pitch somewhere near Letterkenny but would like to know whats your views & experiences on owning & running one, profits, pitfalls, highs and lows etc any help & advice i'll be gratefull! I have done all the research & know all the back ground things like insurance, certs, suppliers etc

Good luck with that. All the decent profitable spots have been taken and there are established chip wagons operating in them. I personally wouldn't fancy starting out afresh hoping to get a pitch anywhere near the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I know it's a week old thread but how good a chef are ya OP? If I was going to buy a van I wouldn't go for the normal burger/chip menu, go for something a bit more niche like restaurant type meals or thai/chinese/indian/mexican food. Do something different to set yourself apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Firblog

guttenberg wrote: »
    I know it's a week old thread but how good a chef are ya OP? If I was going to buy a van I wouldn't go for the normal burger/chip menu, go for something a bit more niche like restaurant type meals or thai/chinese/indian/mexican food. Do something different to set yourself apart.

Remember being in Castletownbere years ago, there was a german guy making crepes outside the local pubs at closing time - had fillings - which went down a treat, seemed to be making a bloody fortune, £1 a crepe

Advertisement