Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 LC Higher Level Maths take-up

• 03-03-2014 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

17,181 students have entered for Higher Maths in the 2014 LC, which represents 31% of the 54,813-student cohort. Such a high figure has been attributed almost exclusively to the introduction of Bonus Points: in 2011, the year before its introduction, 16% of the cohort took Higher Maths, so if the above Higher Maths take-up is predictive, it will have doubled take-up in three years.

However, every year, as many as 2,000 students switch to the Ord paper on the day of the exam.

Something that is almost entirely ignored in the the discussion about H-Maths take-up is that, in almost all cases, only those who took Higher Maths at JC-level will be in a position to opt to take it for LC (ie very few who sat Ordinary maths for JC would then switch up to Higher at LC).

With that in mind, the number entering for Higher Maths in the 2014 LC as a percentage of the Junior Cert Higher Maths cohort of 2011 equals 67%. In that light, the take-up looks even more healthy. That knowledge should underline the need to focus on encouraging more students at JC-level to take Higher Maths.

For whatever reason, the the number of students sitting Higher JC Maths increased by 8% between 2009 and 2011, and by 20% between 2011 and 2013. If two thirds of the JC-Higher cohort continues on to LC-Higher, and as the JC-Higher cohort has increased by 20%, we may see a rise over the next two years of around 25% in the LC Higher Level Maths take-up purely because more students are taking it at JC.

Bonus points attract record entry for higher-level maths | Irish Independent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I think the situation should be kept organic, without pressuring or heavily influencing students to take up HL Maths. It's not the first time bonus points have been attributed to HL students, there will always be a gradual increase and decline over the years - the bonus points won't last either. This is just a PSA, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Something that is almost entirely ignored in the the discussion about H-Maths take-up is that, in almost all cases, only those who took Higher Maths at JC-level will be in a position to opt to take it for LC (ie very few who sat Ordinary maths for JC would then switch up to Higher at LC).

I can't say I agree with you on this. In our year there are at least twenty who did pass for JC but have switched up to honours. The figure was originally around 40 but obviously there have been drop offs.

The 25 points situation is a bit farcical anyway. I don't genuinely believe it has increased the amount deciding to do Science/Technology/Engineering in Ireland. I think they are on the rise anyway.

It has also put an unfair pressure on students. Firstly, some students have to put 3 or 4 times the amount of time into Maths than other subjects, affecting their grades in other subjects. Also, while the failure rate is being kept deliberately low (to justify project maths), I know 2 people whose LC's went down the drain after failing HL. I also know many last year who, despite passing shouldn't have been anywhere near a HL class.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

The bonus point concept might be crude, but it's definitely working. One can't attribute a doubling in take up to 'natural fluctuation'. The numbers will probably plateau soon enough, but it's good to see. 13-15% doing a subject at honours always was a bit farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

The Irish Times shamelessly published an article - One in three Leaving Cert students to sit higher level maths - which restates old news as though new.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hi guys I'm going into 6th year this Sept. And I was just wondering will the bonus points still count for me? I heard that there is apparently a review after this year and it could be scrapped! If there is a review what are the chances that it will be kept? Thanks in advance😉

• Advertisement

It was introduced for the period 2012-2015, after which it will be reassessed. So, you're safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

It was introduced for the period 2012-2015, after which it will be reassessed. So, you're safe!

Thanks a million for that I got a bit worried! Just curious anyway will it probably be kept after the review?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I think they're actually reassessing it this year but because the 2015 leaving certs went into 4th/5th year expecting the extra 25 they'll probably have to keep it

Janeh9 wrote: »
    I think they're actually reassessing it this year but because the 2015 leaving certs went into 4th/5th year expecting the extra 25 they'll probably have to keep it

They may be reassessing it this year, but will be doing so to decide what happens after 2015: it is set in stone that there will be Bonus Points next year.

As for whether it will be renewed: I think "they" (higher educations with the encouragement of the DoE, I think) would be hugely ill-advised to not do so. The inevitable decrease in uptake wouldn't be good publicity for the subject, and may taint the new curriculum. I suspect they'll wait till the uptake plateaus before withdrawing it.

Advertisement