Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full car service for pre NCT

Options
  • 03-03-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have my NCT test coming up shortly. I want to get the car fully serviced before hand. Can anyone recommend someone reliable but who is reasonable. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It makes far more sense to do the NCT, and if it fails, you will know exactly what needs doing. The retest is cheap - far cheaper than any pre-NCT work you'll get done.

The other possible scenario, is that you pay for your pre-NCT, fail (remember, No one will guarantee it'll pass), pay to get more work done and have to retest anyway.

Your car may pass as it is anyway, then just get a service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'd avoid getting a pre-NCT done on it as for same reasons as above. They can't guarantee it will pass the NCT anyway. Best thing you can do however is service the car, which should be done regulary anyway. So oil change, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs if needed, inspect tyres for damage & thread depth. Ensure all bulbs are working and the same brightness including the bulbs for the reg plate. Make sure tyres have correct pressure and all fluids are at correct levels. If you have hubcaps, then remove them. The wheels nuts must be visible to tester. Strap all seat-belts in and secure them. Make sure they operate correctly.

Test to see if the headlights are aligned correctly. This can be pretty obvious if they are mis aligned. Face the car at a big wide wall at night time for easiest way to tell. Change setting to level 0 on the headlight adjuster and see if they are level. You will be able to tell this easily.

Once you have done the basics that you can take care of yourself, then send it in for the NCT itself. If there's anything wrong that it fails on, you'll be told then what work it would need doing. You can take it to a garage to have it repaired then. Saves you the cost of any pre-NCT.

Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Meant to add, that if you're willing to try, it's very handy to learn how to do things with your own car. It might seem daunting at first to start changing the oil etc, but it's far cheaper and much more satisfying being able to carry out your own work on a car.

If you don't wish to go down that route, then bring it to a mechanic for a full service but for recommendations you would need to tell people your location. No point in recommending a place in Cork if you're in Dublin etc.

Best of luck and hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

@OP - Where are you and what type of car is it?

Re the preNCT...have a look here http://www.fastfit.ie/services/car-service.php and here http://www.fastfit.ie/services/nct.php

I've used these guys for years and they have always been great. They're in Togher 021 496 1022. Richard is the Manager.

In my experience, they'll service the car and guarantee a pass - they'll fix anything you fail on for free......but agree any work beforehand and know what you're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

blindsider wrote: »
    @OP - Where are you and what type of car is it?

Re the preNCT...have a look here http://www.fastfit.ie/services/car-service.php and here http://www.fastfit.ie/services/nct.php

I've used these guys for years and they have always been great. They're in Togher 021 496 1022. Richard is the Manager.

In my experience, they'll service the car and guarantee a pass - they'll fix anything you fail on for free......but agree any work beforehand and know what you're paying for.

This sounds strange. A garage that will guarantee an nct pass and fix stuff for free. Why would any garage do that unless they have charged you for replacing everything even slightly worn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Agree with what most of the poster here have said. That being to avoid a pre nct. They usually cost about a much as a retest and are not guaranteed to catch everything. They could also err on the side of caution and recommend remedial work that would not be raised in the nct itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi guys. I'm in Cork. My last NCT test I got it fully serviced, the guys ticked a box re NCT requirements, needed new brake pads, also got 4 new tyres. They passed me without barely looking at the car but I paid almost a grand before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

angeline wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm in Cork. My last NCT test I got it fully serviced, the guys ticked a box re NCT requirements, needed new brake pads, also got 4 new tyres. They passed me without barely looking at the car but I paid almost a grand before hand.

I'd go with the advice above. The test is just the test- ie a standardised method of ensuring your car meets safety and emission regs. The best way to avoid shocks at NCT time is to keep on top of the routine stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd go with the advice above. The test is just the test- ie a standardised method of ensuring your car meets safety and emission regs. The best way to avoid shocks at NCT time is to keep on top of the routine stuff.

Problem is most mechanics and garages don't have the equipment to test things the suspension like the NCT do. It wouldn't be normally included in a reguar service either. Whats the number one cause of failing the NCT test, front suspension.

http://www.ncts.ie/test_stats.html

I thing garages need to step up their game here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

angeline wrote: »
    Hi. I have my NCT test coming up shortly. I want to get the car fully serviced before hand. Can anyone recommend someone reliable but who is reasonable. Thanks.

what part of the city is convenient to you for to get the car serviced. Some poster might recommend someone close to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement