Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TULLAROAN MARATHON 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Gijima wrote: »
    What's the start time for marathon? Any updates here will be handy.

Marathon start 9:30am
    Half Marathon start 11:00am
    10K start 10:30am
    5K start 11:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

What's the start time for marathon? Any updates here will be handy.

I'm not involved in this so I won't know everything, but any questions you have, sure ask and I'll see if I can answer!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Username|Full/half/10km/5km|PB|Predicted time|Actual Time
    Toblerone1978|Half|1:27:00|1:30:00|
    Formosa|Half|1:50:17|1:49:59|
    Baldymolloy|Full|||
    Butterbeans|Half||1:35:00|
    Cabaal|Full|3:33:33|Taking it easy|

Finally signed up, plan on taking it nice and easy and when I finish the marathon doing an additional 4miles as to make a nice long training run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Finally signed up, plan on taking it nice and easy and when I finish the marathon doing an additional 4miles as to make a nice long training run :)[/QUOTE]

do the 4 miles first as a warm up... you have no option then of not finishing the marathon ;).. might be very hard to pass the food at the end of the race to do the extra 4 miles :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Cabaal wrote: »
    Toblerone1978|Half|1:27:00|1:30:00|
    Baldymolloy|Full|||

Finally signed up, plan on taking it nice and easy and when I finish the marathon doing an additional 4miles as to make a nice long training run :)

Thinking of doing this as B2B with Derry the next day, how taxing is the route at 9min/mile pace if i'm aiming for 3H30 in Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

do the 4 miles first as a warm up... you have no option then of not finishing the marathon ;).. might be very hard to pass the food at the end of the race to do the extra 4 miles :D:D

Good point, :)
    Nice handy warm up before starting it is so!

Thinking of doing this as B2B with Derry the next day, how taxing is the route at 9min/mile pace if i'm aiming for 3H30 in Derry.

All depends on how fit you are! I would have said it would be a wee bit tough. If you can do 3.30 marathon, then it's no problem doing 4hrs at this one. But to do a 4h marathon and then 3.30h marathon the next day at a puch.... it won't be easy but probably possible.

Toblerone1978|Half|1:27:00|1:30:00|1:32:45
    Baldymolloy|Full|||

Hi all. I didn't know what to expect from this today, what the set-up would be like, what the numbers would be like, etc.

I arrived into Tullaroan with the OH about 40 mins before the race started and the village was buzzing with activity. At that stage, it was coming to 10.30am and the 10k runners were due to go off. We registered for our races (OH doing the 5k race), got our numbers (which were chipped), all done very efficiently. I got in about 6/7 mins warm-up and ideally got to the starting line about a min before start. No wasting around, the race started at 11am on the dot.

To summarise the 1/2 marathon course: first 6 miles was a considerable drag, downhill for about two miles, flattish for about another 2.5 miles and then there was a serious enough hill for about a 0.75 mile, downhill for a 0.75 mile and last mile was fairly flat - so lumpy to say the least! And to think the marathon runners had to do that twice!

I decided to concern myself with the heart rate only and let the pace worry about itself. This was probably a good move for me. A good few runners passed me out in the first 7 miles and I had to hold myself back not to go after them. But other that the 3 'leaders' (which I couldn't see after a mile), I caught them all bar one. Good to see I'm copping on a small bit about pacing but that said, I probably could have still paced it better.

My time was 1:32:45 - I thought I would do better but with an average HR of 170, obviously not! I'm not too bother by it because for a course so lumpy, I don't what would be a good time on this course for me!

Obviously not a PB course. But what a race, I really, really enjoyed this. None of the OTT nonsense that comes with some races, this was just an honest race, if that makes sense. It was all about the running. The organisation was brilliant - accurate course measurement, mile markers, loads of water stations (every two mile, if not less), plenty of marshals, medal, t-shirt, sandwiches + tea etc afterwards. The weather was very warm, really nice.

I really think this could become very popular next year. Well done to all involved.

I'd be very interested to hear from those who done the full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Great place for a race even though it is more than just a bit hilly. I was aiming for sub-3 on the marathon but realised fairly soon on the second circuit that it wasn't going to happen.

I ran sensible race. Finished in 3.03 which I'm very happy with considering the hills. That was good enough for 2nd place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great place for a race even though it is more than just a bit hilly. I was aiming for sub-3 on the marathon but realised fairly soon on the second circuit that it wasn't going to happen.

I ran sensible race. Finished in 3.03 which I'm very happy with considering the hills. That was good enough for 2nd place!

Well done on what sounds like a tough course Artie.
    No doubt you'll nail the sub 3 on your next go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Poncho1964

Did the full and got in at 3:54. Brilliant race but a beast of a route and one of the best organised races ever. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Ran the half today.... Absolutely brilliant organisation... excellent stewarding and water supplies for such a hot day.... and then of course the lovely mountain of grub afterwards. Great community spirit very evident. Yes a toughish course but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Take a bow all in Tullaroan who helped make it such a great day. Thanks to all...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

did the half yesterday - way off a PB - tough course but very enjoyable race - well organised, friendly, great atmosphere and great spread afterwards even got a shower...well done to all in tullaroan AC for a good day out,

fair play to those did the full - not an easy course at all

Ran the marathon, took it easy and even decided to walk a number of the hills just for a change, Finished in {i think} 4:04, did 2miles before the marathon and 2miles after to make it 30miles for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

results are at http://www.precisiontiming.net
    very well organised event. great day (if a little hot)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Take a bow all who organized this as was said superb job.Fair play to no guts no glory who won the full in 2 56 some running, and to all who ran.

fowler1 wrote: »
    Take a bow all who organized this as was said superb job.Fair play to no guts no glory who won the full in 2 56 some running, and to all who ran.

Impressive given the heat and the hills on the course,

Cabaal wrote: »

I presume you did the 2 extra miles on either side by running up and down the last mile of the course?!

I presume you did the 2 extra miles on either side by running up and down the last mile of the course?!

Nah, I run up the road to the left of the start line, mile out and back before and after the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

The set up they had out in Tullaroan was second to none, all the stewards were friendly and supportive, plenty of water stations, and a heap of food afterwards. It's a good challenging course, and for €25.00(half marathon) I'll definitely be recommending it.

I found the half tough on Saturday. I knew from the second mile or so into it that I wasn't going to achieve the time I'd set out to do, I was well off the pace, but I plugged away and got over the line in 1:58 - tired, sweaty and red faced - a good bit off my predicted time of 1:35, but you'll have those days. I already want to run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Unfortunately I had to pull out Saturday morning, was in bits all Friday night with a heavy cold & cough so took the sensible option.

Headed out there Saturday morning, great day for it and a good buzz around the place.

Will definitely be back next year.

Few pictures here
    14288982476_06907ab684_c.jpg

14308863901_521ef0feae_c.jpg

14332424573_c25bf8b7e4_c.jpg

14310263272_231bef43c3_c.jpg

Advertisement