Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 910xt - HR reading

Options
  • 03-03-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone using a 910xt have an issues with the HR reading when cycling in a cold head wind ? sounds weird i know, but its happened a few times. if its a cold day, with head wind and i am only wearing one or two light layers the reading sits at about 230 - as soon as i put my arm over it, it drops down to the true reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone using a 910xt have an issues with the HR reading when cycling in a cold head wind ? sounds weird i know, but its happened a few times. if its a cold day, with head wind and i am only wearing one or two light layers the reading sits at about 230 - as soon as i put my arm over it, it drops down to the true reading.

Static, the wind blowing the cloth and generating static perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

yeah i just did some reading on it. some people have issues for the first few mins of cycle and gel seems to get them around that and it settles. Thats not the case with me at all. The static from the clothes makes sense though - not sure how i can get around the issue.

BUT.... the first time i noticed it was IM austria, on one of the bike sections there is a long steady decline where speeds pick up....as do winds and temp drops. I was wearing a tri suit that day..... perhaps i am being stupid, but i wouldnt have thought they would create static.... would they ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Slightly off topic but..... I've been using a new 910 for the last couple of months with the old HR strap from my old forerunner 405. Did a 10k race two weeks ago and averaged 240 bpm - lucky to survive that one..... Did Kinvara Half on saturday and averaged 115 bpm - should've tried harder :)

Have tried washing it etc, but now going to bin the strap and get a new one.........

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

EC1000 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but..... I've been using a new 910 for the last couple of months with the old HR strap from my old forerunner 405. Did a 10k race two weeks ago and averaged 240 bpm - lucky to survive that one..... Did Kinvara Half on saturday and averaged 115 bpm - should've tried harder :)

Have tried washing it etc, but now going to bin the strap and get a new one.........

Mine was acting in a similar manner. Then is stopped working althogether. I replaced the battery, no its not working at all, wont pair with the 910xt.

A new strap is €70 :mad:

Are there alternatives (non garmin) to that one which work woth the 910?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

StaggerLee wrote: »

A new strap is €70

100 quid for a pair of runners. 80 quid race entry. 1000+ on a bike.

But 50 quid for a new HR strap is too much. Some people...

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/computers/garmin-premium-heart-rate-monitor-soft-strap-.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Mine was acting in a similar manner. Then is stopped working althogether. I replaced the battery, no its not working at all, wont pair with the 910xt.

A new strap is €70 :mad:

Are there alternatives (non garmin) to that one which work woth the 910?

Apparently you can put your Garmin sensor on a Polar strap and it's far more reliable.

Only what I've heard so I can't stand over it.

I had the same story last week, long run on a cold, windy day and the HR just jumped from 140 to 240 and stayed there for hours. Wonder what the TSS for that would be?

pointer28 wrote: »
    Apparently you can put your Garmin sensor on a Polar strap and it's far more reliable.

Only what I've heard so I can't stand over it.

I had the same story last week, long run on a cold, windy day and the HR just jumped from 140 to 240 and stayed there for hours. Wonder what the TSS for that would be?

I can vouch for this solution.

TSS for 240bpm? nothing. TRIMPS yes, TSS no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pointer28 wrote: »

Polar are wise to that one and have modified their straps accordingly.

(Check El D's blog for how to bodge a hack for that)

AKW wrote: »
    Polar are wise to that one and have modified their straps accordingly.

(Check El D's blog for how to bodge a hack for that)

Polar have also reduced the quality of their straps. Worth noting.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Polar have also reduced the quality of their straps. Worth noting.

Strangely enough they have gone very like the Garmin / Timex strap of old with 'plastic' type contacts rather than their old woven electrode type (which Garmin now seem to use in the premium strap)

Haven't noticed a difference in the HR data myself so happy with the change so far.

Strangely enough they have gone very like the Garmin / Timex strap of old with 'plastic' type contacts rather than their old woven electrode type (which Garmin now seem to use in the premium strap)

Haven't noticed a difference in the HR data myself so happy with the change so far.

You wouldn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

"Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not."

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

catweazle wrote: »

"Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not."

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Here smarta*se! I think he
    You wouldn't smile.png
    is referring to the fact that I'm not training!!

(Any implied allusions to me not finding fault in Polar products are entirely unfounded and will result in a challenge being thrown down to race.)

Here smarta*se! I think he is referring to the fact that I'm not training!!

(Any implied allusions to me not finding fault in Polar products are entirely unfounded and will result in a challenge being thrown down to race.)

With or without tutus?

With or without tutus?

You'll never find one that will fit me!! :p

You'll never find one that will fit me!! :p

Glenda can make them...........

Advertisement