Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

K09 wrote: »
    Final questions...hopefully :D

1) On the area with removed concrete, do I need binding dust on the existing sub-base?
    2) If so I then need 50m2 of binding dust. Otherwise just 15m2. So not sure if 1 tonne is enough?
    3) We are looking at the Glenview stone rather than Ballylusk. Is this also chipped stone?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Glenview is similar chipped stone to Ballylusk, very slight colour difference but cheaper too!
    You need to blind all hardcore areas.

Where are you located in Dublin? Prices for Glenview and Ballylusk can vary considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Glenview is similar chipped stone to Ballylusk, very slight colour difference but cheaper too!
    You need to blind all hardcore areas.

Where are you located in Dublin? Prices for Glenview and Ballylusk can vary considerably.

From that website where I linked to the stone, the glenview and ballylusk are same price. €95 per tonne.

Located in South Dublin. Near cabinteely.

Options:

Patio Centre - Johnstown Rd
    Cement Roadstone - Fassaroe (Bray)
    Milbrook - Greystones

Hi,

I plan to break up the concrete tmr. Seems to be much thicker the closer you move to the house - possibly 4 inches or more!

What is the best way for me to break this up? A Kango or Hydraulic hammer?

Also how far down should gas/water pipes be?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Forget how far down they 'should' be and concentrate on how far down they 'are'. The older the house more unreliable the 'should' becomes.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I plan to break up the concrete tmr. Seems to be much thicker the closer you move to the house - possibly 4 inches or more!

What is the best way for me to break this up? A Kango or Hydraulic hammer?

Also how far down should gas/water pipes be?

Thanks!

Kango not suitable (underpowered), a Bosch breaker would deal with 4" - 6" of concrete with ease, for deeper or stronger concrete a hydraulic hammer would be the job. The pneumatic is really for heavier work and too clumsy for a modest driveway.

Kango not suitable (underpowered), a Bosch breaker would deal with 4" - 6" of concrete with ease, for deeper or stronger concrete a hydraulic hammer would be the job. The pneumatic is really for heavier work and too clumsy for a modest driveway.

Thanks. I hired this out but still took 6 hrs to break up. Easy in places. Other parts 8 inches thick.

Hi,

I have broke up and removed the concrete. One area underneath is heavy wet clay. How much of this would I have to dig up before laying the sub base? Do I need to dig as much as 6 inches deep?

Thanks

Any ideas on this? Have started digging deep - about 8/9 inches. So if this not required then it would save me lot of heartache.

Thanks

Best to remove at least 3 inches of the soil and put in a Teram membrane before filling with Hardcore.

It ain't easy but the Bosch Breaker is probably no good for removing the heavy soil. Try a kango with a wide head.

• Advertisement

Best to remove at least 3 inches of the soil and put in a Teram membrane before filling with Hardcore.

It ain't easy but the Bosch Breaker is probably no good for removing the heavy soil. Try a kango with a wide head.

Thanks.
    I have been using a pick axe to dig up the clay soil. :D
    Used the Bosch breaker just to break up the concrete.

I have calculated 5m3 need to fill. How many tonne is this? How do I calculate this? Seems to be different variations of tonne/ton. No idea why not all done in metric.

I bought this for weed membrane. Is this good enough quality?

Thanks again!!

To calculate the amount of hardcore requirement :multiply area x depth

Area x depth eg 20sqm x 0.15m (150mm depth) = 3 cu metres

5cubic m @ 150mm depth = 33 sq m
    5 cubic m @ 200mm depth = 25 sq m.

return that membrane and buy Teram at your local Builders Merchant

This is the soil at bottom. It's heavy and when I dig some up its like putty.

To calculate the amount of hardcore requirement :multiply area x depth

Area x depth eg 20sqm x 0.15m (150mm depth) = 3 cu metres

5cubic m @ 150mm depth = 33 sq m
    5 cubic m @ 200mm depth = 25 sq m.

Sorry, but how do I calculate tonne from cubic metres?

Hi,

I want to create a border along the wall where I can plant a hedge or some other plants. (similar to the attached image)

How do I create this while putting down the driveway? I imagine I set a barrier between the border and the hardcore?

The depth is 6 inches below the surface of driveway. Should I put the hardcore on in the entire area and compact it before then removing some for the border?

Struggling to find any articles/youtube clips on constructing similar border.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

try pavingexpert .com, it's a uk site by an ex landscaper and paver. Very good.

Hi,

I want to create a border along the wall where I can plant a hedge or some other plants. (similar to the attached image)

How do I create this while putting down the driveway? I imagine I set a barrier between the border and the hardcore?

The depth is 6 inches below the surface of driveway. Should I put the hardcore on in the entire area and compact it before then removing some for the border?

Struggling to find any articles/youtube clips on constructing similar border.

Thanks!

Firstly decide on the width of your planted border. You will need to extend the compacted hardcore to beyond the inside line of the border edging. Once you have installed the edgings and the concrete has set, you can remove any surplus hardcore, backfill the planting area with soil and then plant up.

If you do set have a secure sub-base under the edgings, these will break as soon as a car wheel comes near them!

Hi,

I have concrete remaining along the side of driveway. I thought a sledge would be enough.
    However I'm worried as it looks like the wall is sitting on that concrete!

How best to remove this? Is a consaw my best option?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have concrete remaining along the side of driveway. I thought a sledge would be enough.
    However I'm worried as it looks like the wall is sitting on that concrete!

How best to remove this? Is a consaw my best option?

Thanks!

Consaw for sure or an angle grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

that looks like it might be the footing for your wall's foundation, that footing needs to extend at least the width of the wall on each side, from that photo it also looks like it might have been undermined already, i wouldn't remove that wiidth or anything under it, or you'll likely have a cracked / failing wall after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

bazbrady wrote: »
    http://www.resinbondedireland.com/what-is-resin-bonded-aggregate

I would go with this solution the resin bonded driveway ,i had a previous house with similar size driveway and stone and it drove me mad,stone will naturally move about and there is a fair bit of dust you bring into the house,unless you use the stabilizer as mentioned but ive heard this is farely dear stuff considering its only recycled plastic,may come down in price in a few years as its not long on the irish market or used alot.The resin bonded leaves a lovely finish and i have seen a good few around dublin suburbs and its fantastic,no weeds coming up through it either and u already have the concrete there.Just a taught but if your dead sure on stone get the stone stabilizer stuff.

http://www.stonedriveways.ie/

Does anyone have any experience in getting this done? How does price compare to paving or gravel with the honeycomb stabilisers?

Advertisement