Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade pinball repair?

• 03-03-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I'm just wondering if anybody knows a place in Dublin that repairs pinball machines? I've got an 1979 trident and the boards are damaged. I can buy new ones on eBay. But with postage from the US it's expensive. Just wondering if anybody knows anyone in Dublin who could help me. Cheers Paul

Comments

That the one off adverts?
    can you see whats damaged on the board?

I'd ask the lads here http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fi5hernan123

urbanledge wrote: »
    That the one off adverts?
    can you see whats damaged on the board?

I'd ask the lads here http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/
    Yeah it's the one from adverts. The top left boards battery leaked onto the one below . Think it's the sound board. I need to take proper photos to show. I can buy them from the US on eBay but I'd rather get everything done here. Cheers for the link ;)

DId you clean it up and see whats damaged?
    You could prob just repair the broken traces if the damage is limited to one place.
    Does she power up with no sound?

urbanledge wrote: »
    DId you clean it up and see whats damaged?
    You could prob just repair the broken traces if the damage is limited to one place.
    Does she power up with no sound?

I only picked it up yesterday evening when plugged in it only lights up . That why I think it could be both boards damaged. I'm going to remove them give them a clean and hopefully that will help. If that doesn't work il have to replace them. To be honest I don't know much about pinball machines

Yeah clean the boards up and post some pics.
    I dont know anything about pinballs either but physical damage to the PCB should be a handy enough fix.
    might be time consuming tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

http://pinside.com/ is a very good site for information/help/sourcing parts/etc.
    I'd advise take as many pictures of the boards/connections as possible before you remove them, then test all cabling. The number one problem on pinball machine boards is dried solder joints on the pin headers(connections for cables).

Are you comfortable with a soldering iron and multimeter?

First things first, get some pics up and some of the damage on the board too.

Also I'd imagine that audio board is sharred with a number of games so if you need to source it it may be easier than you think even in europe.

http://pinside.com/ is a very good site for information/help/sourcing parts/etc.
    I'd advise take as many pictures of the boards/connections as possible before you remove them, then test all cabling. The number one problem on pinball machine boards is dried solder joints on the pin headers(connections for cables).

Are you comfortable with a soldering iron and multimeter?

First things first, get some pics up and some of the damage on the board too.

Also I'd imagine that audio board is sharred with a number of games so if you need to source it it may be easier than you think even in europe.

I took afew pics from the boards. The battery really did a job :(

I've got some great advise from people here just wondering where the best place to go in Dublin to repair or replace damaged board or boards. The battery of the top one came down and really damaged the lower :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

OP please do not double post. Threads merged.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

• Advertisement

There's no where in Ireland anyway you could bring a board in for repair.
    You'd be best removing the board and looking out on eBay, pinside, ukvac, etc for one to pop up for sale or create a wated advert on same

Holy bejebus,
    even from that crappy photo I can see it looked wrote off :(

I know nearly came apart in my hand . :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah thats a complete right off. Replacement is the only thing to do I think

That looks like the lamp driver board to me not the sound board.
    Is the part number LDA-100 ?
    if so it shares the same board with the following so shouldn't be too difficult to locate
    Freedom
    Night Rider
    Black Jack
    Evel Knievel
    Eight Ball
    Stingray
    Power Play
    Stars
    Mata Hari
    Strikes and Spares
    Memory Lane
    Lost World
    Lectronamo
    The Six Million Dollar Man
    Wild Fyre
    Nugent
    Playboy
    Dracula
    Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom
    Future Spa
    Trident
    Star Trek
    Paragon
    Kiss
    Hot Hand
    Cosmic Princess
    Magic
    Harlem Globetrotters On Tour
    Meteor
    Supersonic
    Dolly Parton
    Fireball II

This looks like a variation of that board here BIN only €13 even with shipping its only €40
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stern-LDA-100-Pinball-Machine-PCB-Light-Board-/271320791826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2bfabb12

this one ships here too
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stern-Bally-Pinball-Green-Early-Lamp-Driver-Board-Guarenteed-100-/221358754975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338a028c9f

That looks like the lamp driver board to me not the sound board.
    Is the part number LDA-100 ?
    if so it shares the same board with the following so shouldn't be too difficult to locate

This looks like a variation of that board here BIN only €13 even with shipping its only €40
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stern-LDA-100-Pinball-Machine-PCB-Light-Board-/271320791826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2bfabb12

this one ships here too
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stern-Bally-Pinball-Green-Early-Lamp-Driver-Board-Guarenteed-100-/221358754975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338a028c9f

The damaged board is the LDA but doesn't have 100 on it. I'll pop up a better photo

The one in your machine is a LDA-100 Rev. B (ref: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern)
    The ones in the ebay auctions are LDA-100 from what little I've read the bally AS-2518-23, the bally AS-2518-14 and the all the STERN LDA-100 revisions are all interchangeable.
    By the looks of it all your boards are from different revisions anyway/definitly not the original set as they are all different colours

Ohh ok I see. Which board would you recommend as a replacement? I don't want to get the wrong one.

Ohh ok I see. Which board would you recommend as a replacement? I don't want to get the wrong one.

Sorry I couldn't recommend, I've only got experience from working/rebuilding my Williams System 11 game.
    If you put a post up on pinside I'm sure someone will get back to you very quickly but as I said from the little bit I read through it would appear any of those boards would suit. If I was in your position I would just make sure I'm buying a 100% worker.

Cheers for all the help buddy fair play to you ;).

• Advertisement

no probs, good luck with the game and put up plenty of before and after pics.
    I bought most my spares from https://www.marcospecialties.com/ who have very fast shipping, in fact they sell that board you're after but its $99usd, but if you want a 100% guaranteed to work and you could buy all new rubbers/lamps from them save on the shipping, kill two birds with one stone.

no probs, good luck with the game and put up plenty of before and after pics.
    I bought most my spares from https://www.marcospecialties.com/ who have very fast shipping, in fact they sell that board you're after but its $99usd, but if you want a 100% guaranteed to work and you could buy all new rubbers/lamps from them save on the shipping, kill two birds with one stone.

Cheers man that's where il look ;0) legend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fisherman55555

I'm trying to repair my trident pinball machine this year. Before I blow myself up what type of fuse will I put into the plug to power it on? Any help woulf help a lot 🙈

13 amp at the plugtop

13 amp at the plugtop

Thank you

keep us posted !

keep us posted !

I will I want it restored this year. Thanks again

I see your comment on your adverts ad,
    the fuse wont make a difference unless the one in it is blown,
    and if the lights come on its not blown.

I see your comment on your adverts ad,
    the fuse wont make a difference unless the one in it is blown,
    and if the lights come on its not blown.

I see I was thinking I used a lower fuse that would make a difference. Because it lit up but the lights were flickering abit. How it powers up is my using to wires where the coins slot is but when I touched them together nothing happened. I was thinking a stronger amp might slove the problem. I'm new to all this I'm going to have to find someone who knows about pinball machines . Cheers for the advise

• Advertisement

Do you mean coin up by touching two wires ?
    flickering lights is a burt/loose connection.
    I know a bit but its impossible to diagnose a problem with out having the game in front of you.
    Did you get the new mpu board?

Is the coin mechanism switches missing?
    It wont be anything to do with the plug fuse anyway I wouldn't imagine, there should be loads of different small glass fuses inside the back box, I'd start by testing all of these, its best to test them off the circuit so pulling them out is necessary
    This website may be of some help to you
    http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#pd

Rectifier Board Fuses.
    Here is a list of the rectifier board fuses. This applies to all generations of Bally power supplies from 1977 to 1985.

F1 = 10 amp fast-blo (CPU controlled feature lamps)
    F2 = 3/4 amp slo-blo (score display high voltage)
    F3 = 4 amp fast-blo (unregulated +5 volts)
    F4 = 5 amp fast-blo (solenoids, if game has 2 flippers)
    F4 = 6 amp fast-blo (solenoids, if game has 3 flippers)
    F4 = 7 amp fast-blo (solenoids, if game has 4 flippers)
    F5 = 20 amp fast-blo (general illumination lights)
    F6 = 3 amp slo-blo (incoming 120 volts AC line power)

Did you replace that board that was damaged?

Do you mean coin up by touching two wires ?
    flickering lights is a burt/loose connection.
    I know a bit but its impossible to diagnose a problem with out having the game in front of you.
    Did you get the new mpu board?

Yes coin up by touching the two wires. I haven't got the new mpu board yet. I wanted to plug it in first to see if it would start up. Where are you based? Id pay afew € for someone to have a look and give a hand. Id love to get her up and running again

Yes coin up by touching the two wires. I haven't got the new mpu board yet. I wanted to plug it in first to see if it would start up. Where are you based? Id pay afew € for someone to have a look and give a hand. Id love to get her up and running again

I dont know if I could get it running.
    in fact I know i couldn't considering the state of that board.
    If it was mine Id start by getting a new board.

As that's the lamp driver board the lights will be intermittent if they even work at all.
    and if there is a fault on that board chances are the board set wont boot properly, I would take the advise above about getting a new one of them before anything else, you'd be wasting your money paying someone to look at it without having the new board to hand, as the first thing they will tell you is replace that board.

I dont know if I could get it running.
    in fact I know i couldn't considering the state of that board.
    If it was mine Id start by getting a new board.

im going to get the new board in the next few weeks. There's more to get like bulbs etc would be better getting everything together because postage is a kick in the balls. Cheers for the help .

• Advertisement

keep an eye on ebay for that board, and there is someone who break pinballs over on UKVAC.com, might be worth asking him, I'll try find him for you now

keep an eye on ebay for that board, and there is someone who break pinballs over on UKVAC.com, might be worth asking him, I'll try find him for you now

I was just going to ask if anyone sees the boards I need that will do the job it would be class if they let me know. Cheers man ðŸ‘

If you were willing to take a chance on an untested one. there is a few on ebay quite cheap.
    www.ebay.ie/itm/Stern-Pinball-Machine-Driver-Board-LDA-100-Pinball-Arcade-Game-/371202678760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566d675fe8

From what little I've read they are the same board as the Bally AS-2518-23 and the AS-2518-14, you might find a compatibility chart somewhere online or just confirm before you buy, I think there is might be jumper settings, if so here's a cheap tested working one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALLY-LAMP-DRIVER-BOARD-AS-2518-23-100-WORKING-TESTED-ON-BALLY-TEST-FIXTURE-/231360985927

The chance that never pays on ebay!
    looks like a simple board tho

I will ask if it will work with my trident machine. It looks the same but can't be 100% because the battery leaked on mine. Great chatting to people who know they're stuff. Cheers

• Advertisement

If you plan to put LEDs in instead of standard bulbs you might have a read of this here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-ballystern-led-adapter-kit-review

as that board needs to be replaced with a new board anyway
    http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html#lamp

Advertisement