Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Habitat v Diesel

• 03-03-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience paddling both these kayaks?

I currently own a Habitat and while I find it very comfortable and stable, I struggle to keep it in a straight line. Of course that's more me than the boat. I mostly do runs down the Boyne so wondered if the Diesel was better suited? I was offered a used one recently and having read up on it I feel it may be better for me.

So what are the main differences between both boats?

Bear in mind I'm only paddling lees than a year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Thanks nookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've paddled both and I currently own a habitat which I love. I don't like the diesel as much though. It has an awfully flat hull and I just don't like the way it carves. I didn't have the diesel as long though.

I'm also thinking of switching, possible to a Jackson Karma, got the lend of one for a few laps of the flesk a few weeks ago and it was amazing.

Like Nookie said though if you can't keep it in a straight line thats probably your technique. I wouldn't worry about either boat being overkill, I've never paddled the boyne but either boat should be grand for it and if you plan on moving on to more difficult runs both boats should serve you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've paddled both and I currently own a habitat which I love. I don't like the diesel as much though. It has an awfully flat hull and I just don't like the way it carves. I didn't have the diesel as long though.

I'm also thinking of switching, possible to a Jackson Karma, got the lend of one for a few laps of the flesk a few weeks ago and it was amazing.

Like Nookie said though if you can't keep it in a straight line thats probably your technique. I wouldn't worry about either boat being overkill, I've never paddled the boyne but either boat should be grand for it and if you plan on moving on to more difficult runs both boats should serve you well.

What are you liking about the Karma mate?

It boofs really nicely. It also has quite a high bow which makes it easier to punch through stoppers (because you just go over them) and it feels a lot faster than my habitat. I don't really like the rope system for the outfitting though, maybe I'm doing it wrong but the backrest tends to slip.

That said I don't really have a spare €1000 to blow on one at the moment and it'll be a while before any start appearing on the second hand market :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

MadYaker wrote: »
    It boofs really nicely. It also has quite a high bow which makes it easier to punch through stoppers (because you just go over them) and it feels a lot faster than my habitat. I don't really like the rope system for the outfitting though, maybe I'm doing it wrong but the backrest tends to slip.

That said I don't really have a spare €1000 to blow on one at the moment and it'll be a while before any start appearing on the second hand market :(

Yeh I have a Superstar and what I found with the rope system is that you have to pull it in nice and high and then put pressure on the back band to anchor it in, maybe that will help.

I was looking at a Karma as a possible new boat, heard lots of good stuff about them but I've also heard that the plastic is a bit weak and that they may not be ideal for low volume ditches like here in Ireland. heard anything similar?

I haven't heard anything bad about the plastic. A guy I boat with a lot paddles one, we mostly paddle low volume steep rocky stuff in Mayo and he has had no problems with the plastic.

Advertisement