Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry to France booked, suggestions?

• 03-03-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey, myself and a fluent French speaking pal are heading to Cherbourg via ferry, 19th May. Ferry back is 8th June. So, 20/21 days.

Bringing a 1200 GS and Tiger 800. Tents, etc., will be brought. Staying in campsites, hostels, friends couches...I'm 28, he's 34. Or something. Apart from ferry, nothing yet booked/reserved/definite.

Plan is to go down the south, close to the coast-ish, then maybe into Spain a little (San Sebastian), then along the south French coast, possibly along the Pyrenees or just slightly north, all the way over to Andorra. Then eventually all the way to Nice. Then, depending on time left we might slowly go up the west side of France, or just take the motorways back to Cherbourg (2/3 days)...

So, we have set ourselves targets of about 7 or 8 cities all the way to Nice (think of a big L shape), as a marker/guideline of roughly where we need to end up everyday. We plan to spend a bit longer down the south -- not necessarily a new destination every day, if we like somewhere.

Sooooo for those of you who have done these sorts of trips in France, I'd love some ideas on things we "must do", places we must stay, or just things that really stuck out in your mind that you would recommend...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm not new to camping/equipment/luggage, etc., so no advice needed there really -- unless specific to France! I'm also aware of the strict speed limits, and other laws (breathalyzers, etc.)... But any other tips are welcome...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I did something kinda similar, the Gorge Du Verdon is amazing and there are loads of other fantastic routes around there. We bommed it down the motorway to get there but I would have preferred to take B roads and take more time. Deffo do the Route De Napoleon also. If you have time to do switzerland, austia and Italy, there are some of the worlds best driving roads around there.

The motorways can get expensive - I paid €28 for one toll. I also skipped a few going behind a car or beside my other biker mate, but that's cause it kept refusing my card. We were pushing pretty fast and no hassled with the police whatsoever.

I'd say do some research, seek out the best roads and routes and plan around that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Zascar wrote: »

The motorways can get expensive - I paid €28 for one toll. I also skipped a few going behind a car or beside my other biker mate, but that's cause it kept refusing my card. We were pushing pretty fast and no hassled with the police whatsoever.
    Tolls can get expensive if you are speeding, they add the speeding fine to the toll and you just pay at the counter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Did that trip last September, Cherbourg to La Rochelle then down to Biarritz and on to San Sebastian as quick as possible then took our time criss-crossing the Pyrenees before blasting back up again.

All down the coast is great for scenery but I should have taken more time to look around. You don't need to worry about breathalyzers or hi-viz jackets - none of the bikers we spoke to had them. We held 130-150kph on the motorways, stopping for breaks occasionally and not acting the goat so we didn't attract any attention from Les Fuzz. (I saw a few camera flashes but my number plate was accidentally covered by my out-of-date tax disc so I should probably email them and tell them to forward the fines or something.)

Dunno what to say apart from get off the motorways for as much of it as possible and spend as long as you can in the Pyrenees. Jaca in Spain, St. Jean Pied de Port in France and lots of other small towns welcomed us with open arms despite our smelly leathers and dead fly-filled teeth.

I envy you very much.

'c

VFR_zps5728de7f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would it be worth it if you only had 3-4 days going to France. How long is it off the motorway to the decent scenic "twisties" even if you had to use the motorway for an hour or two to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I stayed in Sète for a few days on my last trip. It was a nice place. However I was there during Bastille Day so not sure what it would be like on a normal day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would it be worth it if you only had 3-4 days going to France. How long is it off the motorway to the decent scenic "twisties" even if you had to use the motorway for an hour or two to get there.

Its always worth it but the ferry crossing is a bit long for such a short break. The Pyrenees are a bikers paradise but getting there takes a day and a half in the saddle on motorways and you'll be b0llixed by the time you arrive in Pau.

I'd probably ferry to Roscoff and spend the time doing an anti-clockwise lap of Brittany instead. There are scenic twisties in most directions but it depends on whether you are chasing warm weather. You could hit Rennes in under two hours from Cherbourg and use it as a touring base, pick a different direction each morning and explore to your hearts content or head toward Rouen and do the same.

That said if I had 3-4 days I'd probably head to Scotland...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

If you need to use a motorway for part of the return trip, the A75 from Montpellier/Beziers to Clermont Ferand is free except for the crossing over the Millau bridge, but there is a scenic route around this up through the Gorge Du Tarn which has some cool roads.

Motorways are both mind and bum numbing, so only worth it if want to blat out a few hundred kms in a hurry.

The Cevennes can be reached from Nimes, Montpellier and the A75. There are some great bike routes through the Cevennes. It's a bit cooler than on the Mediterranean coast so more comfortable on the bike. Its probably not a destination in itself, but an interesting side trip if you are heading across just north of the Mediterannean coast en route to Nice.

Alfon.

Looking like it will be Dublin, Wales, Dover, France, Belguim, Holland, Germany now! Trying to take in as much as possible without going mad. Prolly 4-6 days now. Will truck on through Wales and UK and start the picnics one I hit France and beyond......Should be good spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

rat_race wrote: »
    Then, depending on time left we might slowly go up the west side of France

I meant, up the *east* side, at the end.

Thanks all for the info/replies...quite excited now. Wonda, thinking of doing Scotland myself for 4/5 days in April or early May sometime!

Interceptor, how much did you plan your routes ahead of time? Did you use sat nav or just follow road signs?

By the way, I cycled the Camino de Santiago late 2012. Started off in St. Jean Pied de Port...great town.

. Wonda, thinking of doing Scotland myself for 4/5 days in April or early May sometime!

That plan is well and truely knackered now we asked another "MAD FELLA" along, route has been expanded to western europe for 4-6 days :rolleyes:

In fairness prolly would have went mad in Wales for 4 days lol

• Advertisement

You must be planning to cover some distance!

Ferry or channel tunnel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Did you use sat nav or just follow road signs?
    We had satnav when we went to france, and man am I glad we did. Made things sooo much easier. The motorway network is vast and complicated and you could easily go wrong and waste a log of time. Satnav for bikes is expensive but it was a lifesaver for us.

We had satnav when we went to france, and man am I glad we did. Made things sooo much easier. The motorway network is vast and complicated and you could easily go wrong and waste a log of time. Satnav for bikes is expensive but it was a lifesaver for us.

I actually purchased a 660LM, it hasn't arrived yet. Will have stay off the beer for a few weeks!!! Still have my Garmin Edge for the bicycle, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made, so I'm hoping this is the same...

But I'm unsure whether I should bother meticulously planning out routes, or trust Garmin's "scenic" routes option to get me from A to B. Or just wing it day by day...

You must be planning to cover some distance!

Ferry or channel tunnel?

Ferry, my mate has travelled extensively around europe so we in good hands. Best satnav around. Plan is to get to France (Dunkirk) as soon as possible and then take it slow.

Glad to have the new GoPro 3 for this trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That said if I had 3-4 days I'd probably head to Scotland...

'c
    +1
    Don't spend your whole time on ferries and motorways. Head up to larne, fast boat across a you have great roads right there. And not just scotland, loads of great roads towns and villages in northern england.

Cienciano wrote: »
    +1
    Don't spend your whole time on ferries and motorways. Head up to larne, fast boat across a you have great roads right there. And not just scotland, loads of great roads towns and villages in northern england.

Nah wont be on them that much they are a necessary evil for getting to the good stuff fast. After the UK it will be pretty much scenic stuff etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

When you got to get somewhere in a hurry motorways although boring are great...

The A9 from Stranraer to Inverness is a savage ride through the Highlands, breathtaking scenery, good roads & a miriad of off-road camping spots & independent distilleries to take one off the beaten path :eek: ;)

All you old geezers and your wonderful stories....makes me so envious....LOL.

Hopefully by the summer I will have hours of Go Pro footage and many a wonderful tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

+1, the satnav is vital. I find the best way is to plan a route with a map (which shows contours) through whatever scenic roads you want then program it into the satnav.

Another question, lads...obviously the weather in south France will be warm in May/June, most likely.

I have Hein Gericke textiles (jacket + trousers, which zip together). 100% waterproof/windproof, and have never been cold in them. They're nothing flashy to look at, just all-weather commuting type gear.

I can remove the inner thermal layer, which does make a big difference, and remove the jacket's storm flap, and open the vents (not sure how useful the vents actually are). As for the trousers, I can unzip them at the bottom to flare the leg a bit, which will let some air in.

I have lightweight summer gloves (generally too cold to use in Ireland), and a standard carbon helmet.

Am I gonna be ridiculously too hot in this gear, or will I be okay? I don't don't want to fork out lots of money on new gear...although I'd consider it. But I also don't wanna find myself riding in casual jeans just because I'm miserable in the textiles...

This is my first time abroad on a motorbike/in hot hot weather; so I'm a noob. I've been bicycle touring abroad before and I know how crucial it is to have suitable gear, but it's not the same thing (extreme physical exercise vs. pulling a throttle)... So, the question is, will my gear be okay? Obviously they're not ideal...but I'd like to know if others have done something similar to me and lived to tell the tale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

The average temps in south of France in June are 16 night 27 day. Can get hot with sun on your back. A light weight or mesh jacket is a good thing, even helmet with mesh or vented sections. Also good to get out early on the road and find a shady place to eat/sleep/chill in the early afternoons. Temperatures lower in mountains Alfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Another question, lads...obviously the weather in south France will be warm in May/June, most likely.

I have Hein Gericke textiles (jacket + trousers, which zip together). 100% waterproof/windproof, and have never been cold in them. They're nothing flashy to look at, just all-weather commuting type gear.

I can remove the inner thermal layer, which does make a big difference, and remove the jacket's storm flap, and open the vents (not sure how useful the vents actually are). As for the trousers, I can unzip them at the bottom to flare the leg a bit, which will let some air in.

I have lightweight summer gloves (generally too cold to use in Ireland), and a standard carbon helmet.

Am I gonna be ridiculously too hot in this gear, or will I be okay? I don't don't want to fork out lots of money on new gear...although I'd consider it. But I also don't wanna find myself riding in casual jeans just because I'm miserable in the textiles...

This is my first time abroad on a motorbike/in hot hot weather; so I'm a noob. I've been bicycle touring abroad before and I know how crucial it is to have suitable gear, but it's not the same thing (extreme physical exercise vs. pulling a throttle)... So, the question is, will my gear be okay? Obviously they're not ideal...but I'd like to know if others have done something similar to me and lived to tell the tale...
    Stick with what you've got...even if you sweat like a paedo in a Barney suit you can always have a shower when you get to where you're getting.

Road rash don't come off in no shower :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

if you roasting just drive faster! on a serious note: u should be OK driving but stopping in traffic might be uncomfortable as you will heat up quickly from sun. I drive jn textile gear all year round (akito desert jacket and rst ventilator pants). I keep the waterproof lining in jacket all year round and just open up zips (they only really make a difference when driving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

When I went to Spain for the motogp last year, roll on this year, I went in leathers and whilst I drove down at night was comfortable, driving during the days was a sweat box even in late September but the Pyrenees were cold and damp but not enough to bring out the wet gear

As others have said, watch the speed and tolls. I had a jetboil with me and stopped several times for a drink at one of the rest areas, which put this country to shame

Join Ireland Weather Network

http://www.jetboil.com/

They look the part.....how long does the canister last? (as in how many cups of tea would a single canister make)

They look the part.....how long does the canister last? (as in how many cups of tea would a single canister make)

I use an MSR PocketRocket. Same idea. Average thingy of gas would probably make 20 cups of tea, I'd imagine. Depends how u make it. I used to boil water in a pot, then pour it into my cup. Not the most efficient (heat loss)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I bought a jetboil standard and a large Coleman canister. Used the small one extensively over the weekend and only ran out when I get back to Ireland. Still have the larger Coleman one to use yet

I boiled water to make coffee and a soup or noodles or similar. I used the cup on it to drink the coffee and a camping mug for soup and noodles

Join Ireland Weather Network

Another topic change: security? We're gonna have a lot of gear. I have hard luggage, would take a saw to take them off the bike. But I was planning on bringing a very expensive backpack and a cheap tankbag too, and various other valuable stuff that just won't fit in them and aren't practical to carry around as normal.

Gonna be a bit of a nightmare to secure everything if we are camping and decide to "head out" for a few hours.

Am thinking bring my most valuables with me (passport, satnav, phone, wallet, keys, etc.) at all times...and lock various bags/helmets, etc, to the bike using a cable + padlock...sure, they could be cut off -- either by cutting the item (i.e., helmet strap, tankbag strap, etc), or cutting the cable lock itself -- but what other options does one have?

Obviously I'll try to minimise what I need to bring.

When I was bicycle touring, I'd setup my tent, put stuff in it, and lock the tent, and feck off. 10 seconds and a knife would get past that, but a cyclists aren't as attractive to rob as motorcyclists with expensive equipment!

Try to plan and camp near a b&b or the like....bring the expensive stuff with you and ask to leave some gear in the B&B. Sure they wont even know its there.....might be an option.

Will be in the same boat going to Germany in August but I am planning on staying in the cheapest places with "secure" or as good as parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It can and does rain during the summer months on the continent. When it does rain, it buckets down.
    I went on a quick 10 day trip around all over east europe, and down to italy, and it pissed rain for 7 of the 10 days.

Advertisement