Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry to France booked, suggestions?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

rat_race wrote: »
    Another topic change: security? We're gonna have a lot of gear. I have hard luggage, would take a saw to take them off the bike. But I was planning on bringing a very expensive backpack and a cheap tankbag too, and various other valuable stuff that just won't fit in them and aren't practical to carry around as normal.

Gonna be a bit of a nightmare to secure everything if we are camping and decide to "head out" for a few hours.

Am thinking bring my most valuables with me (passport, satnav, phone, wallet, keys, etc.) at all times...and lock various bags/helmets, etc, to the bike using a cable + padlock...sure, they could be cut off -- either by cutting the item (i.e., helmet strap, tankbag strap, etc), or cutting the cable lock itself -- but what other options does one have?

Best option is a pacsafe, a wire mesh exoskeleton that can you around a bag and be keep your gear in. I brought a Pacsafe 85l that I put around a roll bag with My motorbike gear and other valuables.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Keep a blanket handy to throw over the bike on the ferry they throw grimey freight straps across them on the ship, if you're precious about paintwork you might be annoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have heard most of the ferries now have the foam blocks for the motorbikes....but yeah, knowing my luck they be out when I am going. Can you imagine a strap "SAWING" away at paintwork for 2-4 hrs crossing the water. Some damage there at the end of it.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have heard most of the ferries now have the foam blocks for the motorbikes....but yeah, knowing my luck they be out when I am going. Can you imagine a strap "SAWING" away at paintwork for 2-4 hrs crossing the water. Some damage there at the end of it.....:mad:

Yeah...will be keeping an eye on them, for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Dunno about other ferries but Irish Ferriy's have big enough pieces of carpet that you put over the seat and helps prevent any damage. Well both times I travelled I had none

There was also rubber wheel stops as well on the French ferry. Gives additional staying power if your gearbox gives up

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Best to cover the bike then let them strap it how they like. The lads on the oscar wilde are good enuf and bikes go under the stairways out of harms way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

throw you jacket or a jumper underthe strap and it'l be fine, i think people read too much into the strsapping of bikes, make sure there tight tho, its your own responsibility to check

Advertisement