Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Degree

Options
  • 03-03-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi I got my degree BSc Zoology around 10 years ago but have since worked in a number of different non science jobs. I would like to go back to college and study something more job friendly like food science or microbiology. Is there a way to get back into one of these programs without having to complete the entire 4 years again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ali123 wrote: »
    Hi I got my degree BSc Zoology around 10 years ago but have since worked in a number of different non science jobs. I would like to go back to college and study something more job friendly like food science or microbiology. Is there a way to get back into one of these programs without having to complete the entire 4 years again?
    I would imagine there's some sort of Masters out there that would suit you. But, I'm not sure it would be of great value to you if you already have professional experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ali123 wrote: »
    Is there a way to get back into one of these programs without having to complete the entire 4 years again?

It is possible some institutions will award RPL - recognition of prior learning. Another option might be that if you do a degree in a field that has some overlap with zoology (biology, perhaps?) that you may be granted exemption. However, these are dependent on your circumstances and the institute itself.

As djpbarry mentions, don't rule out a masters - there are plenty of "conversion" type courses for those with a primary degree in an area different from the subject.

What area are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Here's the MSc in Biotechnology in UCD, I'd say they'd welcome an application from a zoologist.

University of Birmingham do 'Accreditation of Prior Learning', similar to what Tom mentioned, so I'd say for their MSc in Microbiology and Infection, they'd give your undergrad and experience etc... some fair bit of weighting.

Advertisement