Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carplay

• 03-03-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭

This looks seriously cool... I'm surprised its actually taken this long, I wonder when we'll see it appearing in cars here?!

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ireland isn't mentioned in the CarPlay list of countries http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#applecarplay-applecarplay

I'd imagine this will take a while for car manufacturers to get on board with this, sure the majority of them are signed up, but technology moves 3 times the speed that car industry does.

Car software sucks balls and this has the potential to practically fire everyone that writes software for car dashboards.

Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda missing from the list of both 2014 partners and future partners. Guess even if it does get released in Ireland we still won't be able to use it (Irish love the the above three car manufacturers :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ireland isn't mentioned in the CarPlay list of countries http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#applecarplay-applecarplay

I'd imagine this will take a while for car manufacturers to get on board with this, sure the majority of them are signed up, but technology moves 3 times the speed that car industry does.

Car software sucks balls and this has the potential to practically fire everyone that writes software for car dashboards.

Ireland not mentioned but the UK is... we tend to get similar-ish specs to the UK (for a lot more money!). Most car manufacturers still charge an absolute fortune for ICE / Sat Nav upgrades. The large screen sat nav in a new VW Golf costs the bones of 2 grand for example :eek: The profit margin must be huge in them...

Also don't forget this is a two way system - just because it's built into the car, it may be restricted from the iOS device side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Is this going to be like the Apple TV where only approved apps are added slowly over time or will it have an app store of compatible apps like the iPhone and iPad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think it's the Apple TV model where Apple partners with various app makers to have their software on there. Obviously it'll be much more limited than an Apple TV but Spotify is a natural fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Their confidence in the Maps app must be pretty high at this stage. Personally I still use Google Maps.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Their confidence in the Maps app must be pretty high at this stage. Personally I still use Google Maps.
    Apple maps works pretty well*

* if you live in or around cupertino

that being said i prefer the colour palette and the fact that apple's maps are vector based (you load a city view, it loads it down to street level) as opposed to Google's tiled based (each change in zoom requires a new tile to be downloaded).

that being said i prefer the colour palette and the fact that apple's maps are vector based (you load a city view, it loads it down to street level) as opposed to Google's tiled based (each change in zoom requires a new tile to be downloaded).

Yeah Apple do it nicer but the only thing that matters really is accuracy and what has more info, points of interest etc. Apple doesn't even come close there and I wonder if they ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Google maps is vector based. The old "classic" maps is tile based but the current is vector based same as Apple. Obviously the street view images and the satellite view are still tile based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

You have to plug your phone in each time???
    Bit surprised by that - would have expected all to work over bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

keith_d99 wrote: »
    You have to plug your phone in each time???
    Bit surprised by that - would have expected all to work over bluetooth

Apparently it'll be cable at the launch, but Volvo put this in their press release:

One final detail shared by Volvo in its press release: while currently CarPlay requires a physical Lightning cable connection, Volvo says Wi-Fi connectivity is coming in the “near future.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Aodhagan wrote: »

I use Apple maps now most of the time. Sometimes my work android defaults to Google, but i prefer the colour contrast and route contrast in Apples version. In fairness though, i dont use POI's or anything, just simple A-B routing.

kceire wrote: »
    I use Apple maps now most of the time. Sometimes my work android defaults to Google, but i prefer the colour contrast and route contrast in Apples version. In fairness though, i dont use POI's or anything, just simple A-B routing.

Yeah I guess for general navigation it should be ok but if you're looking for a specific hotel, bar, restaurant etc, Google Maps has a lot more places.

Advertisement