Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nepotism in state broadcaster..

• 03-03-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Simple question...
    we all know it exists and is grossly unfair to the myriad of media graduates who are never told of these jobs being advertised (sic) but what can we do about it?

if all people do is mention it on a forum it's never going to change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 big panda monium

So what do you suggest ? I listened to lottie ryan yesterday it was the worst piece of radio I have ever heard. She was reading anytime she spoke, and when she did it meandered on and on and on , at one point she played the wrong song, then realised , spoke over the song and just continued to play it. Then at one point she pretended she was crying because the show was coming to an end, and to think tax payers are paying for it. Honestly people in community radio would be better than her. People need to listen to yesterdays show on the player just to get an idea how bad it was. If i can get a link I'll post it up. Nepotism ? its alive and well but like I sai what do you do to counter it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

So what do you suggest ? I listened to lottie ryan yesterday it was the worst piece of radio I have ever heard. She was reading anytime she spoke, and when she did it meandered on and on and on , at one point she played the wrong song, then realised , spoke over the song and just continued to play it. Then at one point she pretended she was crying because the show was coming to an end, and to think tax payers are paying for it. Honestly people in community radio would be better than her. People need to listen to yesterdays show on the player just to get an idea how bad it was. If i can get a link I'll post it up. Nepotism ? its alive and well but like I sai what do you do to counter it ?

Not a lot, not a lot unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Nepotism ? its alive and well but like I sai what do you do to counter it ?

I dont know? but surely there must be something that can be done? I may have heard that these jobs surely must be advertised as they are public service appointments? Cant there be some kind of disclosure re: the appointment process as It is our money that is funding it?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Send a demo tape to Noel Kelly Management.

And the keys to the RTE kingdom are yours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Stop listening.

Write letters/bombard their Twitter or Facebook with abuse.

• Advertisement

Stop listening.

Write letters/bombard their Twitter or Facebook with abuse.

Won't make a blind bit of difference Michael, regretfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Campaign for Pat Rabbitte's new broadcasting charge to be made voluntary vis-a-vis RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Because a nod and a wink is the exclusive preserve of RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

It is rife in every public service job too make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

As somebody who has been unemployed I have seen it first hand. It's all about who you know not what you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

youtube! wrote: »
    It is rife in every public service job too make no mistake.
    FYP - do you really think nepotism is confined to the public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

serfboard wrote: »
    FYP - do you really think nepotism is confined to the public sector?

No, nepotism is everywhere but the public don't pay the wages of private sector workers. The public have every right to scrutinize who gets jobs in rte and how much they are paid, especially if, as in Lottie Ryan's case, basic talent and experience are lacking in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Can someone list out people in broadcasting in the BBC and RTE who are there because of nepotism......?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

reg114 wrote: »
    The public have every right to scrutinize who gets jobs in rte and how much they are paid

Actually they don't. People are employed on behalf of the public to do that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Simple question...
    we all know it exists and is grossly unfair to the myriad of media graduates who are never told of these jobs being advertised (sic) but what can we do about it?

if all people do is mention it on a forum it's never going to change.

We have by your own admission a "Myriad of media graduates" being pumped out of colleges each year. On the other side we have a small population of radio stations and a tiny number of hosting slots coming available every year. To be honest if you haven't got some contacts in the industry it was a foolish course to opt for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

Nepotism is fact of life, It is everywhere, not just in rte. Ian Dempsey said in an interview last year that his oldest son works as a sound engineer for communicorp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

What are the employment laws like regarding RTE? Surely they must advertise positions and hold interviews? I know they don't, so is there legal recourse here?
    Hiring somebody based on who they are related to side steps other kids coming up, narrows the chance of finding actual talent and condemns us, the financiers of these endeavours, to piss poor entertainment just so the likes of the Ryan dynasty need never worry about having to do a 9 to 5 in a factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Look ! It's not what you know it's who you know !

This is particularly prevalent in the world of broadcast media..why in the freek are the likes of Larry Gogan ,Dave Fanning and Gay Byrne still getting airtime on National airways..when so many talented and eager presenters cannot find a slot .

Fcukin disgrace !

A.J.Plumb wrote: »

This is particularly prevalent in the world of broadcast media..why in the freek are the likes of Larry Gogan ,Dave Fanning and Gay Byrne still getting airtime on National airways..when so many talented and eager presenters cannot find a slot .

Fcukin disgrace !

Can't argue with that AJ, this wafting along for aeons is what is holding RTE back

When you are finished get the fcuk out, go away from the place.

No need for Gaybo,Mike Murphy, Anne Doyle,and countless other has beens to be constantly popping up.

Give good, honest new blood a chance, not the children and relations of current presenters.

Time to shake that kip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I graduated from college last year and the aim is to get into radio, but hearing the likes of Lottie Ryan getting a job that I and many others would value and appreciate so much, is more than demoralising.

Why can't 2FM and others just give people the chance to shine instead of banking on 'safe' bets?

I'd happily accept not getting an advertised radio position if the successful person actually was a newbie in the industry and given a chance to prove themselves. This country is still so backwards.

• Advertisement

Liam92 wrote: »
    I graduated from college last year and the aim is to get into radio, but hearing the likes of Lottie Ryan getting a job that I and many others would value and appreciate so much, is more than demoralising.

Why can't 2FM and others just give people the chance to shine instead of banking on 'safe' bets?

I'd happily accept not getting an advertised radio position if the successful person actually was a newbie in the industry and given a chance to prove themselves. This country is still so backwards.

Too right Liam...but it was ever so !

RTE have some neck in giving Lottie Ryan a National Radio Slot given the huge and justified criticism of the amount of nepotism in that organisation.

As ever the insiders look after themselves.....:eek:

Too right Liam...but it was ever so !

RTE have some neck in giving Lottie Ryan a National Radio Slot given the huge and justified criticism of the amount of nepotism in that organisation.

As ever the insiders look after themselves.....:eek:

Nailed it there AJ , insiders find a way to bypass the system.

Don't go to the top, burrow in from underneath, tried and trusted method in semi- states and PS.

Burrow in, get your protege, usually a relation ,in at ANY LEVEL and then given the culture they can only go up.

Seen it done many times, I tells ya, many many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Fcukin disgrace !

Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning and Gay Byrne are among the most respected broadcasters in Ireland. If you wanted examples of people who don't deserve their jobs in RTE, there's an awful lot of better names you could have used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

For Reals wrote: »
    What are the employment laws like regarding RTE? Surely they must advertise positions and hold interviews? I know they don't

Two years ago RTE advertised publicly for a panel of Audio Engineers. 12 people were taken on on a casual basis and three have now been made full time. One of those is a friend of mine. To say RTE doesn't advertise positions is just ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

dib wrote: »
    Two years ago RTE advertised publicly for a panel of Audio Engineers. 12 people were taken on on a casual basis and three have now been made full time. One of those is a friend of mine. To say RTE doesn't advertise positions is just ridiculous!

Rte do advertise jobs,

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/working-with-rte/vacancies/

I think it is in the presenting area that there does not seem to be a system other than the head hunt option.

I feel that there should be a slot where new graduates could present a show for a time and gain some experience, would benefit RTE as they could be first to catch the up and coming talent at the early stage of their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Liam92 wrote: »
    .......I'd happily accept not getting an advertised radio position if the successful person actually was a newbie in the industry and given a chance to prove themselves. This country is still so backwards.

We'll if the position wasn't advertised publicly then the only way somebody would know about it is if they had a connection with RTE.

So the person who gets the gig would be unknown and unproven but still get the job.

Isn't that exactly what happened with Lottie Ryan?

She's an unproven newbie given a chance in RTE.

More Music wrote: »
    We'll if the position wasn't advertised publicly then the only way somebody would know about it is if they had a connection with RTE.

So the person who gets the gig would be unknown and unproven but still get the job.

Again filling a presenters slot seems to be done by head hunting an individual, not through interviews to establish suitability for the slot.

Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning and Gay Byrne are among the most respected broadcasters in Ireland. If you wanted examples of people who don't deserve their jobs in RTE, there's an awful lot of better names you could have used

I am sure they are my friend...but Gogan and Byrne are tippin eighty years old..respected or not they should be retired.

Fanning is well in his fifties but tries to look like he is in his thirties...dosn't work pal.

And I never said that these people didn't deserve their jobs in RTE...just that they are now past it....normal retiring age is 65....move on lads make room for some younger folk.

Do I not have a point ....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

But surely it would be fairer, and better for the station and the listeners, to hire someone with proper experience, someone who had served their time and built their skills at a local/Internet station or in nightclubs and actually had the knowledge and ability to be a really good radio presenter? Rather than just the last guy's daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Lottie Ryan has featured on RTÉ several times in the past and don't even deny this was not down to her surname. There are so many talented people out there who could attract listeners on radio/viewers on tv, yet they'll never receive the same opportunities. It's a pity.

I am sure they are my friend...but Gogan and Byrne are tippin eighty years old..respected or not they should be retired.

Fanning is well in his fifties but tries to look like he is in his thirties...dosn't work pal.

And I never said that these people didn't deserve their jobs in RTE...just that they are now past it....normal retiring age is 65....move on lads make room for some younger folk.

Remember that most presenters are sole traders/self employed with contracts so the 65 age limit (I think) does not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Say they did have a cull of every presenter over 65 in RTE and hired new graduates to replace them that would fill what, 3 or 4 slots? So extend it to cover all national stations and force out the likes of Pat Kenny and George Hook. Now we might get up to 7 or 8 jobs for the new graduates. Still won't solve the problem. So lets we sent in the guards to purge everyone over 65 from every local radio station in the country and that will probably just about get the whole class of 2013 jobs.

But what do we do next September when the class of 2014 start looking. Do we shoot every presenter over 60?

The fact remains we are talking about an industry with a small employment base in this country and low turnover of staff. Unless you have a real passion for the industry and a proven exceptional talent in say podcasting and local DJing then I'm afraid setting your heart on a career in Radio presenting is foolish and bound to lead to a high level of frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

touts wrote: »
    Say they did have a cull of every presenter over 65 in RTE and hired new graduates to replace them that would fill what, 3 or 4 slots? So extend it to cover all national stations and force out the likes of Pat Kenny and George Hook. Now we might get up to 7 or 8 jobs for the new graduates. Still won't solve the problem. So lets we sent in the guards to purge everyone over 65 from every local radio station in the country and that will probably just about get the whole class of 2013 jobs....
    The problem with accommodating all graduates is that some of them don't have a great deal of talent.

Neither do I think that all of those currently employed in broadcasting have sufficient talent.

I am very disappointed at how poor the major broadcasters are at discovering talented broadcasters, and then using them correctly. In a way, I get more cross about good broadcasters being wasted on the wrong sort of programme: it makes for worse programmes, and can ruin the reputation of a good broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

why in the freek are the likes of Larry Gogan ,Dave Fanning and Gay Byrne still getting airtime on National airways
    because their experienced compitent broadcasters, you don't have to listen to them if they bother you that much
    so many talented and eager presenters cannot find a slot
    while unfortunate, maybe some of them aren't what RTE is looking for.
    Fcukin disgrace !
    no its not

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I am sure they are my friend...but Gogan and Byrne are tippin eighty years old..
    who cares, the BBC have broadcasters older and hey, they get huge listenership
    respected or not they should be retired.
    no they shouldn't, their pulling in the listeners.
    what are you on about?
    I never said that these people didn't deserve their jobs in RTE...
    nobody knows what you said.
    they are now past it....
    yet their on the radio and your not
    normal retiring age is 65....
    and yet these lads are still working because they bring in listeners.
    move on lads
    i'm sure they will when their ready to.
    make room for some younger folk.
    why should they, if RTE finds some young presenters who will fit they will be given a chance, a, you know, some have been all ready
    no, it just sounds like the whining of someone who applied and was unsuccessful

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

I am very disappointed at how poor the major broadcasters are at discovering talented broadcasters, and then using them correctly.

I wonder about this too, but apparently it's not a commercially viable strategy to give a broadcasting gig to talented but unknown kids. Look at the way Newstalk keeps giving presenting jobs to middle aged and older people who have already made a name for themselves, sometimes in a totally different field. When Yates left because of his bankruptcy they were casting round for months before they came up with...Norah Casey. Presumably their market research had told them x thousand more people would tune in to the Breakfast Show just because yer one from Dragons Den was on it.

When Yates left because of his bankruptcy they were casting round for months before they came up with...Norah Casey. Presumably their market research had told them x thousand more people would tune in to the Breakfast Show just because yer one from Dragons Den was on it.

Come on.. Norah Casey on air because of the dragons den, doubt it as this lady is well established and respected in the business world,

I did hear her present and I found her to be worth listening to as she was well able take charge and debate any topics that came up.

what are you on about?

why should they, if RTE finds some young presenters who will fit they will be given a, you know, some have been all ready

Eh... It doesn't mate.

To me it's a fair statement of what's happening on broadcast media, be it radio or television.

Other people with fresh outlook could well pull in listeners too.

Surely it's a corporate strategy from the service provider, stay stuck in the past,hold on to the tried and trusted performers and take no risk with newcomers.

Most people in management as I am would baulk at that strategy Nd form the opinion that they will run out of road in the long run.

Look at aviation.

Tried to hold the industry in a cartel and national carriers,but along came O'Leary and Ryanair who turned the whole setup upside down.

Same will happen with the broadcasting industry if the Neanderthals don't pull their heads out of the sand.

Look at aviation.

Tried to hold the industry in a cartel and national carriers,but along came O'Leary and Ryanair who turned the whole setup upside down.

Same will happen with the broadcasting industry if the Neanderthals don't pull their heads out of the sand.
    will it, how exactly, i don't see it happening, look at the UK, had many different radio stations (still do to an extent) but along came the big groups and started networking stations, then when global came a load of heritage brands would disapear forever to become heart or capital which provides mass market pap to the masses and provides nothing exciting and engaging to anyone, its just background music to listen to at work or in the car and thats it, if anything thats how the broadcast industry will end up here, the schedules for both stations include "celebrity" presenters, some who probably have no radio experience but are well known to some of the listeners at least, tried and trusted is the way the broadcast industry is now days, its **** but its not going to change.

• Advertisement

what are you on about?

why should they, if RTE finds some young presenters who will fit they will be given a, you know, some have been all ready

I find the tone of your post unnecessarily aggressive my friend.

I am entitled to my point of view as you are to yours.....

You harp on about "pulling in the listeners" and they do pull in the listeners, but somebody in a prime slot will always have listeners !

I can assure you my friend that I have no wish to be on radio...no ambitions in that area at all.

What i am concerned about is that a public body funded with my taxes is operating an unfair recruitment policy and rife with nepotism.

And lastly I am not "whining" as your post suggests...just putting a valid point of view

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    Come on.. Norah Casey on air because of the dragons den, doubt it as this lady is well established and respected in the business world,

I did hear her present and I found her to be worth listening to as she was well able take charge and debate any topics that came up.

But would she have got the gig if she was 'merely' a successful businesswoman who had never been on da telly? I thought she was ok on the Breakfast Show but I doubt any better than dozens of recent journalism graduates who, unlike her, really need the job.

As I said, there must be a solid commercial reason why NT keep hiring 'names', but their failure to groom in-house talent ultimately comes back to bite them: if, as rumoured in another thread, Chris is gonna take off to travel the world soon, they'll likely have the same scramble to replace him as they did when other presenters left the show.

somebody in a prime slot will always have listeners !
    not always
    I can assure you my friend that I have no wish to be on radio...no ambitions in that area at all.
    fair enough
    What i am concerned about is that a public body funded with my taxes is operating an unfair recruitment policy and rife with nepotism.
    it maybe unfair but their not going to axe their older presenters who pull in listeners to "give young people a chance" i'd imagine many of the commercial stations are reluctant to do the same, yes it may be unfair but we need to be realistic here.

what are you on about?

not always

fair enough

it maybe unfair but their not going to axe their older presenters who pull in listeners to "give young people a chance" i'd imagine many of the commercial stations are reluctant to do the same, yes it may be unfair but we need to be realistic here.

You certainly have a way with words Buddy !

Name me ant presenter in a primetime slot who does not pull in the listeners ?

Never wanted the to axe their "older presenters" merely cull 70/80 somethings like Gogan and Byrne.

And 50 somethings like Fanning trying to look edgy and grungy and act as he were thirty.

Never wanted the to axe their "older presenters" merely cull 70/80 somethings like Gogan and Byrne.
    but why should they axe Gogan and Byrne if their bringing in the listeners, Byrne is on lyric anyway and is well known, i'm sorry but their not going to axe well known presenters to give an unknown a chance unless their very very good.
    50 somethings like Fanning trying to look edgy and grungy and act as he were thirty.
    i don't think he's acting anything at all, he's a rock dj and is well known and respected for what he does

You certainly have a way with words Buddy !

Name me ant presenter in a primetime slot who does not pull in the listeners ?

And 50 somethings like Fanning trying to look edgy and grungy and act as he were thirty.

I'd have to agree there AJ and pursue the point that you are making.

Any company which stands still and relies on tried and trusted output will ultimately fail.

Why?

Because not the presenter or broadcaster will change,but the audience profile will.

Look at it this way would the output of the 1980s and presentation style and format be acceptable today.

Don't think so even though Fab Vinnie was ahead of his time.

You have to think ahead especially when all is going well

That much maligned organisation the GAA are a case in point.

They could have stood still, their headquarters,Croke Park was fine ,held 75 000 and everything was kosher. Nobody was complaining.

But they thought ahead,sank huge amounts of money into building a 'world class' stadium and are now reaping the benefits.

So whilst the various analogies may not be totally analogous,the strategy is ,in my opinion,valid.

You gotta move with the times however comfortable the present may be

But would she have got the gig if she was 'merely' a successful businesswoman who had never been on da telly? I thought she was ok on the Breakfast Show but I doubt any better than dozens of recent journalism graduates who, unlike her, really need the job.

As I said, there must be a solid commercial reason why NT keep hiring 'names', but their failure to groom in-house talent ultimately comes back to bite them: if, as rumoured in another thread, Chris is gonna take off to travel the world soon, they'll likely have the same scramble to replace him as they did when other presenters left the show.

First point, Hard one to call she moves in big circles and would attract listeners.

Second point, NT by hiring names allow the show to hit the ground running, peak times would not be a good starting point for a newbie.

Mobile Dj wrote: »

Second point, NT by hiring names allow the show to hit the ground running, peak times would not be a good starting point for a newbie.

Well Chris was pretty much thrown in at the deep end - was it when Conor Brophy left? - and that worked out ok. The broader point is, they don't seem to be making any sort of effort to groom new presenters in-house: whenever Yatest or Hook or PK is off its invariably Shane Coleman filling in. Surely they could give one of their reporters or researchers a crack at it, even just for a day? Have they any sort of plan for the not too far off day when Hook packs it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Fcukin disgrace !

You're right about the 'disgrace' element there AJ...only one word for your viewpoint - ageist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Eh... It doesn't mate.

To me it's a fair statement of what's happening on broadcast media, be it radio or television.

Other people with fresh outlook could well pull in listeners too.

Surely it's a corporate strategy from the service provider, stay stuck in the past,hold on to the tried and trusted performers and take no risk with newcomers.

Most people in management as I am would baulk at that strategy Nd form the opinion that they will run out of road in the long run.

Look at aviation.

I'm really behind you to use the system and acquire your own broadcast licence, implement your beliefs and sit back and laugh at the 'Neanderthals' as your listenership rockets...:-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement