Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom moving house 7 dsay cooling off

Options
  • 03-03-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i moved house last friday, called on wednesday and asked eircom to move my line to the new address. On friday I discovered that eircom had changed our plan from unlimited to 30gb limited without us knowing and had been charging us for going over the limit without us knowing. Quite annoyed i decided i would change providers as this is not my first problem with them.
    They said that as i had moved house i was now in a new 12 month contract and told me that 7 day cooling off period does not apply, is this correct as its a brand new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Presumably this was a recorded phone contract. They should have told you that you were entering into a new 12 month stretch. Ask for a copy of the recording to see exactly what was said.
    I would have thought as it's a new contract, the 7 day rule should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Yes they did say there would be a new 12 month contract but i want to change provider because of the overcharging issue and they say there is no 7 day cooling off period, can this be right i thought all new contracts had a 7 day period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

cadete wrote: »
    Yes they did say there would be a new 12 month contract but i want to change provider because of the overcharging issue and they say there is no 7 day cooling off period, can this be right i thought all new contracts had a 7 day period

I would have thought so, I'm sure someone will clarify it. Were you led to believe that your new deal would be similar to your last one with unlimited data?

What happened was we called the on wednesday to move our line to the new house they said new contract we said no worries, we said we would decide if fibre was an option depending on speeds when the line was activated and decide on a package when we knew more they said thats fine.
    Friday we call to decide on a package when i look at the bill i see we have been charged for going over our download. I call and query this and they say our limit was changed last november probably by mistake and that we have been changed back and our account credited.
    After the call we decided that it wasnt acceptable and that we would just change provider. I call eircom and say we want to cancel the service because of what happened and they say we will have to pay off the fees because its a new contract. I ask about the 7 day cooling period and they say it does not apply!
    I have made a complaint and i am waiting on a response

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

so you had an issue after looking at bills 4 months old, they rectified and credited your account?

Also you moved house hence there is a line activation fee which they are obviously waiving amongst other things....

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    so you had an issue after looking at bills 4 months old, they rectified and credited your account?

Also you moved house hence there is a line activation fee which they are obviously waiving among other things....
    No i looked at my latest bill when i discovered what they had done, And found out from them they changed it in november.
    they changed the service i was on without telling me. Im on direct debit so they took money from me, this is what im unhappy about, and why would i wish to remain a customer when they have done this,
    They never mentioned a line activation fee, so that really has nothing to do with the subject,
    I asked for my line to be moved i changed my mind does the 7 day cool off not apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im on direct debit so they took money from me, this is what im unhappy about, and why would i wish to remain a customer when they have done this
    Surely this would be a bargaining tool if nothing else. Just a suggestion.

I asked for my line to be moved i changed my mind does the 7 day cool off not apply?
    Sorry, cant give you an honest answer but I would have thought that ALL contracts would be subject to a cooling off period. Just my opinion though.

If its any help Eircom have a "Talk To" forum here on Boards. You might be able to get their help there.

Advertisement