Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Mowing Today

• 03-03-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Is it too early?
    I'm itching to get out there...
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Realtine wrote: »
    Is it too early?
    Any advice?

I usually wait until after St Patrick's weekend. At that stage the soil is a little warmer and harder underfoot. We have had a lot of rain recently, so ground could be very soft

1st cut of the season is usually a very light one., remember there is always danger of frost into April.

Happy mowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

My lawn looks more like paddy fields!!

TheBody wrote: »
    My lawn looks more like paddy fields!!

There are lots of Paddy fields around the country at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

someone beside me was mowing their lawn today, first i have heard this year,

i'm in cavan, not the dryiest part of the country either,

going to mow my lawn around paddys day aswell,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My garden has needed cut all.winter and is getting really long but I took a walk through it the other day and its absolutely sodden. Can't see me taking out the ride-on for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

NIMAN wrote: »
    My garden has needed cut all.winter and is getting really long but I took a walk through it the other day and its absolutely sodden. Can't see me taking out the ride-on for a while yet.

+1 to that. Better wait a little longer than risk grass and soil damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Realtine wrote: »
    Is it too early?
    Any advice?

Done mine today, high cut, was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

did mine on sunday, not too much to take off but the soil underneath was fairly solid despite all the rain. wont get a chance over the next few weeks so probably just as well to have done it as it will grow like mad. Lots of moss though so gonna start mulching instead of collecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Iv started this week..get it early and keep on top of it,hate cutting when it's to long

Soil like a sponge. Lawnmower in danger of sinking into ground and ploughing up the grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There's a fair bit of dead grass in my lawn, would it be too early to take the scarifier (lawn raker) to it? I haven't taken the mower out yet but was thinking of raking it first before cutting or would that be the wrong way around?

Advertisement