Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 1), March 7-9, 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What channels are the two games on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Cork match is 7 45pm I thought not 7 35pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully good crowd at Cross on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be happy starting off with away point in tallaght

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Relatively optimistic going into this season. Hopefully we can kick off with 3 points in Belfield.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wexford...... depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Up against the Drogs. Hopefully give them a hiding to get the brand new shiny season rolling. Pre-season has been iffy but that won't matter a jot as we destroy the Drogs for ninety long minutes knocking their confidence minute by minute and systematically breaking down their defences as they beg for the pain to stop. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

SantryRed wrote: »
    What channels are the two games on?

I think only one game is live on tv this weekend? Sham.Rovers v Derry on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

We haven't played our 1st 11 together all pre-season. If they are available on Friday, I'd be optimistic about getting something out of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Depressing me arse, can't ****ing wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was under the impression the Cork game was on RTÉ...OP changed..
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd be happy starting off with away point in tallaght

I think it's dead set for a 0-0 or especially 1-1 draw.

Cork City Adult Ticket price gone up 2euro to 15quid now is bit meh.

Still look forward to Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Prick of an opening two for the Town but Rovers at home the following week is some tasty prospect. Nice to see Athlone back where we belong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cork City Adult Ticket price gone up 2euro to 15quid now is bit meh.

Still look forward to Friday.

15 quid is the standard price all around the league though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

groupon link for cork games fair few pats fans got cheaper tickets, expired now i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Going to be interesting to see what kind of crowd turns up to Deacy Park on Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

15 Euro is the standard across the league, I think Shels are still charging adult 15 quid in the 1st Division, open to correction there.

Would be very happy with a score draw against Pats Friday night, maybe a bit of a comeback to keep the large crowd that will be there interested. Typical Cork arrogance has us winning the World Cup same as the start of every season, but realistically we will be doing very well for ourselves if we break the top 4.

oldyouth wrote: »
    We haven't played our 1st 11 together all pre-season. If they are available on Friday, I'd be optimistic about getting something out of the game

Surely that's a disadvantage?
    CSF wrote: »
    Depressing me arse, can't ****ing wait.

Come back to me if we're struggling :(

Come back to me if we're struggling :(

No matter what. It's gonna be the first time in about a year and a half where we get to go to games not knowing in advance it's a loss. We may not go up but we are not gonna come last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't wait.... Even if UCD is a pain in the hole to get to.

Can only judge by the Bray game in the LSC but we played quite well against them. Dinny looked sharp and Beattie's interplay with Kavanagh was quite nice at times.

More optimistic than last season anyway but that wouldn't be hard given the shíte we had to watch for large periods of the campaign.

Roll on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That_Guy wrote: »
    Can't wait.... Even if UCD is a pain in the hole to get to.
    Ye really don't know how easy ye have it up there. Away games on your doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I know. People in Dublin are spoilt for choice. Although to get across town on a Friday for a 745 kick off can be a push sometimes.
    If people are finding it difficult getting to UCD for a match, try the 46A bus and get off around RTE. you can walk in from the N11.

If those of us in Sligo, Derry, Limerick and cork can get across the country for 7:45 (7:00 for tv fixtures or Shamrock games), you can surely make it across the city fairly handy.

I'd love if everyone played on Saturdays.

Anyhow.. Hope for decent performance and three points. Mick Cooke managed to stifle us a few times with Drogheda, he'll try the same again. Think we're a bit quicker going forward now. 3 nil home win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If those of us in Sligo, Derry, Limerick and cork can get across the country for 7:45 (7:00 for tv fixtures or Shamrock games), you can surely make it across the city fairly handy.

I'd love if everyone played on Saturdays.

Anyhow.. Hope for decent performance and three points. Mick Cooke managed to stifle us a few times with Drogheda, he'll try the same again. Think we're a bit quicker going forward now. 3 nil home win.

And then you have all those, who are not able to watch the EPL :rolleyes:

(/ discussion home grown football vs EPL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah I love Friday night football. It's the start of the weekend and te perfect way to let off steam after work. Ps it's been gorgeous weather wise here in Dublin the last two evenings, hope it keeps up for a few more nights. Love sunny football evenings

Pighead wrote: »
    Up against the Drogs.

Question for Drogheda fans mostly...what's the Drogheda squad like? Confidence? Among the big movers Dundalk, SPA, Sligo and even Cork's moves, I haven't heard much about them. I'd have them outsiders to fight it out for a relegation playoff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not if you've been in work all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Surely that's a disadvantage?
    :(

Not really, 6 of our squad are involved with IT Carlow who won the College's FAI Cup tonight (all 3 goals scored by Youths players). Given their cup run(s), they have not always been available for the pre-season friendlies. Those players are well used to playing together, as are the balance of the squad

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not if you've been in work all day.
    Thats right. I forgot those of us outside the pale don't have jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That's not what I meant and you know it. If I'm travelling across the width of the country for a game at 7:45 I'm hardly going to be doing a full days work beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Heading home to catch the first match of the season. If anyone's getting public transport to Belfield, the 39A leaves you inside UCD, about a ten minute walk from the Bowl (I think).

dan1895 wrote: »
    That's not what I meant and you know it. If I'm travelling across the width of the country for a game at 7:45 I'm hardly going to be doing a full days work beforehand.
    Plenty doing just that including myself. Start early, finish early. In work at 7am and not home til after 1 in the morning. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with League of Ireland football...

Then I remember Elding's injury time winner or Kelly's penalty saves. Or Quigley's league clinching penalty. Those fleeting moments that make it all worthwhile. They won't understand that over on the Yanited thread.

Now where was I.. Oh yeah, quit bitching about sitting in a bit of traffic ye soft bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Plenty doing just that including myself. Start early, finish early. In work at 7am and not home til after 1 in the morning. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with League of Ireland football...

Then I remember Elding's injury time winner or Kelly's penalty saves. Or Quigley's league clinching penalty. Those fleeting moments that make it all worthwhile. They won't understand that over on the Yanited thread.

Now where was I.. Oh yeah, quit bitching about sitting in a bit of traffic ye soft bastards.

Tbh, if it was that difficult to get to away games, I genuinely wouldn't bother :pac:

Even the trip to Tolka on Friday feels like a trek.

Oddly enough i find it harder to get to games now with work when we good, when we **** its easy. Had to cover 8 shifts in 98 after Kilkenny :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The boggers moaning as usual are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Heading home to catch the first match of the season. If anyone's getting public transport to Belfield, the 39A leaves you inside UCD, about a ten minute walk from the Bowl (I think).

Didn't know that. I always get the 46A usually but I can get a 39A from college in Blanch so that's handy. Cheers for that.

The 11 is the closest bus to get there, it goes by the Clonskeagh side of UCD, which is the side that the Bowl is in. (far side from the 46A/39A entrance)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The 39A goes straight to UCD. You can either get off at the UCD flyover and wander in the main entrance (bit tricky finding the pitch from if you're not used to UCD), or get off at RTE (traffic lights at Nutley Lane), cross the road and go in the side entrance via Greenfield estate.

Think this is going to be a long season. Hopefully the Matthews effect at Bray will mean we avoid automatic relegation, but with Martin Russell gone and Walsh, O'Connor, Seán Russell and Leahy all moved on, I think this could be the season we go down.
    Not entirely happy with Callaghan as manager but I'm ready to be proven wrong.

Any Bohs fans know if Craig Walsh is expected to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

monkey9 wrote: »
    The boggers moaning as usual are they?

Everyone is tbf.

League must be back. :)

I thought everyone outside of Dublin worked on a farm and finished up around 3pm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Played against Bray and seemed to do well enough, would say he's a decent chance of starting.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dfx- wrote: »
    1-1 draw.

This, after leading Derry for about 75 minutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The 39A goes straight to UCD. You can either get off at the UCD flyover and wander in the main entrance (bit tricky finding the pitch from if you're not used to UCD), or get off at RTE (traffic lights at Nutley Lane), cross the road and go in the side entrance via Greenfield estate.

Think this is going to be a long season. Hopefully the Matthews effect at Bray will mean we avoid automatic relegation, but with Martin Russell gone and Walsh, O'Connor, Seán Russell and Leahy all moved on, I think this could be the season we go down.
    Not entirely happy with Callaghan as manager but I'm ready to be proven wrong.

I'd expect Walsh to start alright.

I think you've a better squad than Bray for what it's worth, though you have lost a lot. Keeping Creevy and Kavanagh fit is essential.

anncoates wrote: »
    This, after leading Derry for about 75 minutes.

Rovers going 1-0 up is a trivial issue compared to knowing what to do from that point. Last season, they had no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

dfx- wrote: »
    Question for Drogheda fans mostly...what's the Drogheda squad like? Confidence? Among the big movers Dundalk, SPA, Sligo and even Cork's moves, I haven't heard much about them. I'd have them outsiders to fight it out for a relegation playoff..

I think we'll be ok. As long as we play a bit of ball and keep our distance from a relegation scrap most Drogs fans will be quite happy.

Good summary of our squad from LouthDrog on the Drogs forum (he wont mind me lifting it i'm sure!)

Goalkeepers
    Schlingermann
    Ryan

Defenders
    Mick Daly
    Paul Andrews
    Alan McNally
    Shane Grimes
    Austin McCann

Ciaran McGuigan

Midfielders
    Cathal Brady
    Paul Crowley
    Gavan Holohan
    Eric Foley
    Daire Doyle
    Gavin Brennan

Forwards
    Declan O'Brien
    Philly Hughes
    Carl Walsh
    Gary O'Neill

Hard to know if we are weak or not at centre half. We all know how good ally can be, but who is going to partner him?
    I literally have zero idea about Andrews. He could be the new Prendergast or the new Jamie Harris. If he turns out good, then having Doyle and McCann as back up leaves us in a good situation defensively.
    We have two of the best keepers in the league.

Centre midfield is probably our strongest position. Doyle is apparently in a similar mould to Crowley whilst Holohan is more of a baller. We know exactly what we get from Foley and Crowley.

We are a bit short on the wings. Bradys career at drogs has never got started despite this being his third year now. Walsh could also play there i think but I would have liked to sign another right winger. Perhaps McCann could do a job there?
    Gav on the left is top class but do we have a back up plan if him or grimes are missing? Do we have any left sided back up?

Hughes and Declan will be top choices up front. Hughes was one of the best strikers two years ago in the league with shels so if he can get back to that form, hell score 20+ goals. Declan will score similar. Walsh is a complete unknown. Hopefully O Neill will be fit enough to challenge Hughes and Declan. Not a bad option to throw in when needing a goal.

Think well be ok. Good starting xi but a bit weak for cover in places. Would have liked another out and out centre half but signings of mccann and Doyle rule it out. Guess well have one more signing, hopefully either a left sided midfielder who can cover at left back in the Philly hand mould or a right winger who could move across similar to Cassidy.

If we compare it to how we started in 2012, i think its as strong and if not stronger. We finished second that year and won a cup. Obviously don't expect that to happen but if Robbie gets his tactics right and we stay injury free, top half and a push for Europe is possible.

Paul Andrews isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

CSF wrote: »
    Paul Andrews isn't good.

So I believe. He looked ok in the friendlies but of course it'll be a whole different ball game tomorrow night...

Cant wait for tomorrow night. Good crowd and result hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Good luck to all tomorrow night (bar Pats, Drogheda and Rovers) Everyone else, have a great season, just not as good as us

Good luck to all tomorrow night (bar Pats, Drogheda and Rovers) Everyone else, have a great season, just not as good as us

Good luck to noone but us, hope we beat you all :)

and if we dont well clearly it was the refs fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement