Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 1), March 7-9, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Good luck to noone but us, hope we beat you all :)

and if we dont well clearly it was the refs fault.

Exactly.Hope yee all fall apart except for Dundalk of course.

I reckon this could be a vintage year for LOI in both the Prem & 1st divisions.
    And despite what i've just said in the first part of this post i do wish yee all the best of luck.Have a good one folks.

LOI-The best league in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

Any Athlone fans in here?? Expecting to bring much tomorrow?? Would have taught the novelty of first game back with a decent away trip they could bring 3-400.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BPF's predictions for the season

1604490_10152337239244203_1422156357_n.jpg

They did a nice preview for each team here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In case some haven't seen this request:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89049101&postcount=46

I can see some have changed too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Good luck to all you teams out there.

See you all next season back in the Premier. Up Shels :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Big Bucks wrote: »
    Any Athlone fans in here?? Expecting to bring much tomorrow?? Would have taught the novelty of first game back with a decent away trip they could bring 3-400.

Two buses heading over anyways and a good few in cars so hopefully will be a good few from Athlone down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Garry Buckley goal from a corner gives Cork City the lead. 1-0. Hope they can keep it up, would be a savage win, supposed to be near full house at the Cross tonight

Gearoid Morrissey, Billy, Buckley and Kearney already booked and it's only HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

College work means I'm not actually at Belfield, unfortunately. Bohs appear to be winning though, so that's a good thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Only 3 goals in the first half of the 4 PD games, but some interesting scores! Dundalk and Pats both losing away from home.

0-0's all round in the 3 FD games.

Drogs 3-0 up against Dundalk :eek:

5,322 official attendance at the Cross. Great to see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Oat23 wrote: »

5,322 official attendance at the Cross. Great to see!

Great stuff.

Don't think there's been a domestic attendance like that since us vs Bohs in 2010.

Drogs 3-0 up against Dundalk :eek:

4-1:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

dfx- wrote: »
    4-1:eek:
    First Louth derby I've missed in about 30 years. Should I laugh or cry :D

Mind you the €20 win at 4/1 I put on will soften the blow of not being there.

5 reds in the 4 games so far. Two players sent off who were not playing.

What a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

5 reds in the 4 games so far. Two players sent off who were not playing.

What a league.
    Apparently Simon Kelly tried to cut in front of Philly Hughes in the chip van queue

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

anncoates wrote: »
    Great stuff.

Don't think there's been a domestic attendance like that since us vs Bohs in 2010.

Sligo Rovers had 5700 for last 2 league games in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

some big shocks tonight!

anncoates wrote: »

Home v Derry in 2011? The game where Ricketts proved useful..

First game at home to Shels in 2012 was the last "this is an event" game I can immediately think of, would've been 4,500+ at that I'd say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ref was a utter joke at Cross.

Draw fair result. Fahey was very average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Great win for Shels. Very well deserved. Dylan Connolly looks like a player who is going places.

Ref was a utter joke at Cross.

Draw fair result. Fahey was very average

Superb according to ET
    Cork City 1 - 1 St. Patrick's Ath
    62' - Keith Fahrey powers through the middle and hits a stringing drive but well over the bar. The Ireland International has been superb today.

8 yellows and 1 red is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Superb according to ET

8 yellows and 1 red is ridiculous.

Thought he was average enough. Did not stand out. Healy was every bit as good as him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just back from the Cross. Poor enough first half but very happy with the lead. Everyone around me said at ht was saying that the ref would definitely send off a city player - you could see it a mile off....and then he did. Thought Dunleavy was poor all night up to the sending off anyway. Elding didn't see a lot of ball but out in a good shift nonetheless. Fahey...meh really. Draw was a fair result. Over 5300.... super crowd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs cruised to a 3-0 win at the UCD Bowl tonight. An early goal of the season contender already courtesy of Patrick Kavanagh got us up and running, he looks good. Dinny Corcoran with the second while 35 year old Jason Byrne netted after maybe a minute on the pitch.

Great result for Bohs and sets up a top of the table clash next week against Drogheda, who'd have thunk it!!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought he was average enough. Did not stand out. Healy was every bit as good as him

I thought Healy had a good game, better than Fahey anyway, definitely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bohs are unrecognisable to last season's side. Very impressive performance even if we were awful. First two goals were quality and Jason Byrne didn't even have to play for 5 minutes to get his customary goal against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good game at tolka tonight. Pure stupidity at the end though. Stupid red made us completely capitulate. Looked good enough for a point til then. Enjoyable match all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway should have taken the lead and really didn't look clinical at all tonight.

Connolly has some engine on him though. He was every where! His decision making can be a bit slow though.

You could see that Galway were trying their best to play it out from the back but they had nowhere to go more often than not.

There was over 2,000 in EDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Have to say I was very impressed by that young Shels side. Tried to pass the ball about as much as possible and kept it on the deck as much as possible. Enjoyable game too but absolute bedlam in the last ten minutes as Darkglasses said. What did the Youths' player get sent off for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

great crowds in galway/cork
    maybe 800 in Finn Park.

Harps the better team but probably didnt muster any more clear cut chances than waterford. much better desire to play the ball from last year with mcCarron and Keating both having great games. good second half despite the ref, who was at least equally crap which it feels is as good as you can ask for in LOI.

good to be back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Mars Bar wrote: »

There was over 2,000 in EDP.

Great to hear.

• Advertisement

Great to see crowds out tonight. Be nice to at least keep it at some decent level throughout the season.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Delighted with that. Superb goal from Kavanagh and Craig Walsh had a super game. Think Jayo only touched the ball once :pac:

UCD were very poor though, would fear for them if they can't improve.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dan1895 wrote: »
    Have to say I was very impressed by that young Shels side. Tried to pass the ball about as much as possible and kept it on the deck as much as possible. Enjoyable game too but absolute bedlam in the last ten minutes as Darkglasses said. What did the Youths' player get sent off for?

None of our fans had a clue, I'll ask one of the players when I get home. It's infuriating how often we shoot ourselves in the foot like that, either silly off the ball incidents or giving too much lip to the ref. Even the boys who've been playing LOI for four or five years still don't know that's it not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Just back from the Cross. Poor enough first half but very happy with the lead. Everyone around me said at ht was saying that the ref would definitely send off a city player - you could see it a mile off....and then he did. Thought Dunleavy was poor all night up to the sending off anyway. Elding didn't see a lot of ball but out in a good shift nonetheless. Fahey...meh really. Draw was a fair result. Over 5300.... super crowd!!

Ref had an absolute shocker and so did the linesman nearest the St Anne's End. It was a pity to see so much diving from Fagan, hate when players try to others booked/sent off.

Not a bad result for City considering the sending off. Thought we did well and with 11 players on the pitch, we could even have pushed on for the win. Still have players to come back too, so I'm actually fairly optimistic about the league this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Can't ask for more than that in the first game. Could be a tough season for UCD, though Bray probably have a poorer side.

Hugely surprised by the Louth Derby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Delighted with that. Superb goal from Kavanagh and Craig Walsh had a super game. Think Jayo only touched the ball once :pac:

UCD were very poor though, would fear for them if they can't improve.
    He'll be a great player for ye.
    The only thing is that we always seem to start slowly. Think it was nearly May by the time we got our first win last season. But it did look worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Well done Drogs.

..Ends

Great pic

BiJ1QjfIgAA44jh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Good draw for Pats down at the Cross - Many a team will drop points down there.
    Dunleavy rightfully was sent off, he smashed Conan Byrne out of it about 5 mins beforehand.

We still haven't really got going but even then we could have won had we took some chances, looking forward to when Quigo is fully fit.

Fantastic attendance - Really great to see for the league. Here's hoping another big load show up in Sligo tomorrow and then up in Wicklow on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

None of our fans had a clue, I'll ask one of the players when I get home. It's infuriating how often we shoot ourselves in the foot like that, either silly off the ball incidents or giving too much lip to the ref. Even the boys who've been playing LOI for four or five years still don't know that's it not worth it
    Think it might have been a stamp. That looked like what the lino was indicating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Very surprising result in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    Great win for Shels. Very well deserved. Dylan Connolly looks like a player who is going places.

A great win indeed, but my personal highlight was Philip Hand's 1:0, absolute beauty of a goal :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yuck. Being in Drogheda is a chore at the best of times but tonight was absolutely rank. Gavin Brennan very good tonight. O'Brien good up top too. O'Donnell the best of a very bad bunch for us. Meenan played well when he came on. Should start next week. Move on and bring on Coleraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Of course he was.....I doubt the tactics of teams playing Cork this season will be to take turns getting yellowed for taking Healy out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Good draw for Pats down at the Cross - Many a team will drop points down there.
    Dunleavy rightfully was sent off, he smashed Conan Byrne out of it about 5 mins beforehand.

We still haven't really got going but even then we could have won had we took some chances, looking forward to when Quigo is fully fit.

Fantastic attendance - Really great to see for the league. Here's hoping another big load show up in Sligo tomorrow and then up in Wicklow on Sunday.

Dunleavy deserved a red for that, alright. The ref gave the benefit of the doubt to him, and he was probably eventually sent off for persistent fouling. But, the fact that it was about the 80th minute before any Pats player got a yellow was laughable. They were every bit as tough in their challenges as City. The ref let them off far too many times, and waved on some very obvious fouls. No doubt, we'll get favourable decisions later in the season, and Pats will be hard done by, but it's still frustrating to see these refs.

On the game, I thought City were better. Pats had plenty of possession, but did f*ck all with it most of the time. We had the better chances and were unlucky not to go 2-0 up. Even when down to 10 men, Pats didn't really take advantage of it as they should have. Very confident of City's season after tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Only one game in and Fahey is sh!t and let's compare him to Healy for no other reason than he got the boat as well.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Of course he was.....I doubt the tactics of teams playing Cork this season will be to take turns getting yellowed for taking Healy out of the game.

yeah-ok.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We had nearly 20 free kicks in that match , Cork players systematically lumping Fahey out of it. Im convinced Dunleavy forgot he was booked. Not all the yellows were yellows imo but nearly 20 free kicks.

Didnt create anything when they went down to 10 so dont think we deserved to win.

Cracking crowd, poor pats who went on the 1st bus that broke down in Mitchelstown are still there as the 2nd bus also broke down :D

1978712_685694494803340_342781973_n.jpg

1978712_685694498136673_1911122160_n.jpg

Best stadium in the league.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Only one game in and Fahey is sh!t and let's compare him to Healy for no other reason than he got the boat as well.

Who said he was shít? He had a poor enough game - that's a fact. Healy ( comparable player position wise and of course they both got the boat;)) had a better game than him - also a fact.

I would prefer Fahey in my teams line up as he is a class player - no doubt about it - chillax fella.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Best stadium in the league.

Hard to disagree with you, it has a few flaws but - although I know I'm biased - it's my favourite LOI ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement