Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 1), March 7-9, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Solid enough performance from Bohs last night. Played some great stuff at times. Very impressed with Craig Walsh and Paddy Kavanagh. We looked a bit shaky defensively at times and better teams will punish us for it.

Early doors for a lot of players and will take time to gel but the signs are looking good.

--

Good to see high attendances around the country anyway. Hopefully that trend continues.

Surprised by the Drogheda result to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

another big crowd from dundalk last night in drogheda, i dont think they announced the size but it will definely be drogheda best crowd of the season.
    Dundalk were brutal- no excuses .:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

blingrhino wrote: »
    another big crowd from dundalk last night in drogheda, i dont think they announced the size but it will definely be drogheda best crowd of the season.
    Dundalk were brutal- no excuses .:(
    2007 according to extratime.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Pighead wrote: »

Thought there was more myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Pighead wrote: »

ah here your joking !
    at least 1200 from dundalk ,we queued for 20 minutes to get in !
    not a seat left in the stand and the away "shed " stuffed.

the drogs side was fairly full too.

me thinks the FAI must be on a cut of the takings ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

CSF wrote: »
    Think it might have been a stamp. That looked like what the lino was indicating anyway.

I've yet to see a report or speak to anyone who actually saw a stamp. The ref had been over ruling that lino all evening. She was shocking. In one incident, one of our strikers was put in on goal from an obviously offside position and she was still near the halfway line, so couldn't raise the flag

Regardless of that, our indiscipline following the sending off came to the fore again and cost us in the end. Other sides would have dealt with it and moved on, but it got to us and we paid the price.

On a side issue. Shels charging €15 (€10 for students) for a 1st Division game is beyond reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We had nearly 20 free kicks in that match , Cork players systematically lumping Fahey out of it. Im convinced Dunleavy forgot he was booked. Not all the yellows were yellows imo but nearly 20 free kicks.

And we had 16 free kicks. Yet, we were given six yellows (including Dunleavy's second), before ye were given any. It wasn't until the last few minutes that ye were given any bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've yet to see a report or speak to anyone who actually saw a stamp. The ref had been over ruling that lino all evening. She was shocking. In one incident, one of our strikers was put in on goal from an obviously offside position and she was still near the halfway line, so couldn't raise the flag

Regardless of that, our indiscipline following the sending off came to the fore again and cost us in the end. Other sides would have dealt with it and moved on, but it got to us and we paid the price.

On a side issue. Shels charging €15 (€10 for students) for a 1st Division game is beyond reality.
    I don't think if we charged 10 euro, we would have got 1150 in the door, or made up the shortfall on alternative income sources, so I'm delighted for us to charge that amount and keep the club bringing in the sort of income required to keep the club going.

I sincerely doubt the woman imagined a stamp. If it had been a bloke the Wexford fans wouldn't have been going on like half the idiot that most of them did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Official attendance from Eamonn Deacy Park last night against for Galway FC v Longford Town was 2,418.

The atmosphere was brilliant too. Delighted to be back in L.O.I.

Goes to show no united club in Galway for 2 years was really missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blingrhino wrote: »
    ah here your joking !
    at least 1200 from dundalk ,we queued for 20 minutes to get in !
    not a seat left in the stand and the away "shed " stuffed.

the drogs side was fairly full too.

me thinks the FAI must be on a cut of the takings ;)

There was loads of space in the away Shed, the far side as you enter was basically empty, was disappointed with our crowd, thought we would have alot more

As for Brennan, what a knob! 4-1 up and gets himself sent off stupidly, 3 games he will miss now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Great crowd in Cork last night. Decent match aswell. Draw was a fair result. We had two great chances to score a second goal but didnt take them, Cork probably had more chances but they werent as clear cut. Ref was very fussy but they usually are at the start of the season anyway.

We were slightly dissapointing last night. We did well in bits and pieces but we never really dominated for a decent period.We were annoyingly narrow when Cork were reduced to 10 men. Tried to play almost everything through the middle. Our wingers were poor and were quite slow. Fahey was fairly ordinary. On the plus side Lynch and Fagan did very well.

Cork are a decent if cynical side. They will cause teams plenty of trouble down in Turners Cross.

I don't think if we charged 10 euro, we would have got 1150 in the door, or made up the shortfall on alternative income sources, so I'm delighted for us to charge that amount and keep the club bringing in the sort of income required to keep the club going.

I sincerely doubt the woman imagined a stamp. If it had been a bloke the Wexford fans wouldn't have been going on like half the idiot that most of them did.

At €15 you don't know how many fans you are keeping away and you are the only club charging that. Delusions of what you used to be I suppose

The 2nd comment does you no service. Not 1 Youths fan made an issue of the lino being a woman, she was just shlt poor doing her job and we paid the price. We are entitled to make that point

In Wexford, we have experience of one of the best officials in LOI, Michelle O'Neill, being involved in our games and we only wish there were more like her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The 2nd comment does you no service. Not 1 Youths fan made an issue of the lino being a woman

Spot on there. Not sure where you're getting that from CSF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

There was loads of space in the away Shed, the far side as you enter was basically empty, was disappointed with our crowd, thought we would have alot more

As for Brennan, what a knob! 4-1 up and gets himself sent off stupidly, 3 games he will miss now.

Ha a knob that destroyed your lot for 87 minutes topped off with a goal and a sexy nutmeg on Towell before the moment of madness.

We played some lovely stuff at times Foley and Doyle dominated the midfield bar the first 20 minutes when Dundalk played well.

First time I've ever had to queue going into Utd park hopefully that performance will see most of them stick with it for the season.

"We can see you sneaking out" :D What a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Athlone lead at Showgrounds through Penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Athlone lead at Showgrounds through Penalty

1 all now

Sligo 2:1 up, afaik

Me again ;)

Cobh with the equalizer against Shams B

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Me again ;)

Cobh with the equalizer against Shams B

You're faster then anyone on twitter Lars. Fair play:)

• Advertisement

You're faster then anyone on twitter Lars. Fair play:)

Kudos to Extratime, I'm only the messenger ;)

The season could be over now, Shels back in the Premier League, and 2013 never happened :D

Both Full times.

Cobh be happy with that I say

Both Full times.

Cobh be happy with that I say

I guess, both Sligo and Cobh are happy campers...so is every team, scoring late goals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This whole Rovers B thing is completely unfair already. They didn't send any first teamers to Cobh because they're playing tomorrow evening. Wait until we see their team next Sunday, it'll be a heap load stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

SantryRed wrote: »
    This whole Rovers B thing is completely unfair already. They didn't send any first teamers to Cobh because they're playing tomorrow evening. Wait until we see their team next Sunday, it'll be a heap load stronger.

I hope not :(

Are they limited to their D1 team plus 3 now, or is it after X appearances in the first team u become ineligible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with you, it has a few flaws but - although I know I'm biased - it's my favourite LOI ground.

Question to corkies, if the stadium holds 7485 and the only noticeable seats that were empty was the neutral area in the St Annes end. How was there only 5300 at it?

Same for us on Sunday our main stand holds 1900 (1800 now some seats are broken:o ) it was full and the official att was 1300.

Drogs seem to have an issue with their attd.

Are we all pulling fast ones ? :pac:

/1st time ever someone has questioned good attendances in the league :pac:

• Advertisement

Spot on there. Not sure where you're getting that from CSF.

The minute she gave a decision that wasn't in Wexford's favour the Wexford fans were going on like she was the most incompetent official in the world even though the early ones were generally correct.

My impression was that a large part of that was down to pre-conceived ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

dont worry you will soon learn just how awful D1 officiating is! its best to expect it, that way its a pleasant surprise when they have a good day!

Question to corkies, if the stadium holds 7485 and the only noticeable seats that were empty was the neutral area in the St Annes end. How was there only 5300 at it?

Same for us on Sunday our main stand holds 1900 (1800 now some seats are broken:o ) it was full and the official att was 1300.

a lad in the Cork City forum mentioned fact that Pats tickets were not scanned till half time.

I reckon it was close enough to 6,000 at game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This was posted in the City thread earlier...
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The two middle sections of the St Annes End were closed off, so that's a thousand off the capacity straight away. Pats had about 300 fans in a section that holds 560. There were odd seats in the middle of packed rows, which latecomers, particularly in groups, wouldn't have gone to. In the context of the entire ground, those seats add up.

If the Pats fans weren't scanned until half time, bringing the attendance up to 5,600 is fair, I think. Fantastic crowd, regardless.

That would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My bus uhh the only bus that made it :D were given tickets with the stub removed. Assume that was for scanning later.

I didnt notice that many empty seats in any other part of the ground.

Poor bastards on the other bus spent 11 hours on it and never got to see the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The minute she gave a decision that wasn't in Wexford's favour the Wexford fans were going on like she was the most incompetent official in the world even though the early ones were generally correct.

You were completely wrong. None of the reaction she got was down to her gender. I can't give you an exact statistic but roughly 3/4 of our home games have a female linesman (Michelle O'Neill) and I can 100% guarantee (I know almost Youths fan there fairly well) none of our travelling support have any prejudice against female officials, which your comment clearly accused us of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My bus uhh the only bus that made it :D were given tickets with the stub removed. Assume that was for scanning later.

I didnt notice that many empty seats in any other part of the ground.

Poor bastards on the other bus spent 11 hours on it and never got to see the match.

Trying not to laugh.......actually, I'm not trying at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

At €15 you don't know how many fans you are keeping away and you are the only club charging that. Delusions of what you used to be I suppose

I believe this was looked at during our last stint in the first division and club believed that they would not get the extra numbers through the gate to make it worthwhile. Incidentally its €10 in on Monday night v Bray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Drogmal wrote: »
    Ha a knob that destroyed your lot for 87 minutes topped off with a goal and a sexy nutmeg on Towell before the moment of madness.

We played some lovely stuff at times Foley and Doyle dominated the midfield bar the first 20 minutes when Dundalk played well.

First time I've ever had to queue going into Utd park hopefully that performance will see most of them stick with it for the season.

"We can see you sneaking out" :D What a night.

Great player but as Captain his sending off was ridiculous. Towell's problem is he hasnt got a proper position, he is being sort of played in a free role which dosnt suit him. How Hoban lasted as long as he did, il never know!
    Hopefully we can turn it around Monday night and kick start the year, but as expected we will prob struggle this year, mid table at best!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know what to make of Rovers' squad yet, but three outfield players makes the B side a heapload stronger...?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Pats fans tickets weren't scanned until half time so they weren't included in the offical attendance. Also Cork didn't print enough tickets for everyone so a lot of home fans just paid cash coming in the gate, so these people also weren't included in the offical attendance.
    The actual attendance was a fair bit over 6,000. The 1200-1500 remaining seats are explained by the two blocks and a bit blocks closed off in the St Annes end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Unfortunate for Athlone tonight, thought a point would have been fair, but to go to Sligo first game back in eighteen years and lose narrowly just shows that we're more than capable of holding our own in the division (please God). Hon the Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

spiralism wrote: »
    Unfortunate for Athlone tonight, thought a point would have been fair, but to go to Sligo first game back in eighteen years and lose narrowly just shows that we're more than capable of holding our own in the division (please God). Hon the Town.

Athlone were exactly what you would expect from a Mick Cooke team, very well organised and tough to break down. I expect ye will be perfectly fine and credit to your board on a good appointment. Great travelling support as well.
    We were very lethargic overall. Started brilliantly and i taught after 10 minutes it was going to be any score once we got the first. Credit to Athlone they didnt give us many chances after that. The penalty sparked us into life and i taught overall we did just enough to deserve to win the game. Will take an opening day win no matter how it comes but room for loads of improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

Oh and a decent crowd too for what was a miserable evening down here. Both stands full with about 400 travelling fans. Would have guessed the attendance to be somewhere between 2800-3000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

A point would have been a disaster for us to be honest. Athlone came looking for a draw and created nothing til they were given a penalty for absolutely nothing. They'll stay up comfortably but don't expect anything resembling decent football out of them.

• Advertisement

So why did the ref over rule two of her decisions in the first half with regard to a corner and a throw in? Like I said earlier, one of our players was yards offside during an attack and she was still near the halfway line. She was really poor and that is what I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To be fair, teams in any division aren't obliged to play their strongest teams on a game by game basis either.

I can't personally see the inclusion of one or two senior players making a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of Rovers' squad yet, but three outfield players makes the B side a heapload stronger...?

The experience three older players will bring to a team of 18/19 year olds is huge. That's without even bringing in the extra quality they would bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

AgileMyth wrote: »
    A point would have been a disaster for us to be honest. Athlone came looking for a draw and created nothing til they were given a penalty for absolutely nothing. They'll stay up comfortably but don't expect anything resembling decent football out of them.

We're a newly promoted side in the top flight for the first time in two decades and even last year we focused on keeping it tight, winning a ton of games 1-0. Naturally we were going to go to Sligo and play for a draw and staying up is the main focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We're a newly promoted side in the top flight for the first time in two decades and even last year we focused on keeping it tight, winning a ton of games 1-0. Naturally we were going to go to Sligo and play for a draw and staying up is the main focus.
    Ye were probably right to play for a point but it doesn't mean a point would have been a fair result. Glad we got the win anyway. Wouldn't be too worried about staying up, I'd say you will be nicely clear of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The experience three older players will bring to a team of 18/19 year olds is huge. That's without even bringing in the extra quality they would bring.

One of those players could be Robert Bayly...most experience of walking back to the dressing room.

It is still ridiculous, could you imagine Barca being able to throw Xavi, Iniesta or even Mascherano into their Segunda team for a week at a time? Further proof that the FAI can do pretty much no right.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bayly starting ahead of McPhail for Rovers, interesting

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I reckon Roddy is gonna start himself up front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The loud hailer is really annoying.

Advertisement