Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thorowgood t4 saddle

Options
  • 03-03-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Does anyone ride in a thorowgood t4. My horse needs a high wither saddle and I'm thinking of getting this saddle in the high wither version. I like that it has a changeable gullet as he has been changing shape.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I have a Fairfax for my monster withered creature

when fit:
    559554_10150699486052972_1049354586_n_zpsb79ffe6b.jpg

when very not fit:
    485818_10150813944982972_651886325_n_zpsdf591ee9.jpg

They're on the same tree as the thorowgood t4/6 but leather and I find it fits him well and can be worked enough to suit him as he muscles up.

My other half had a T6 and while it worked for a while on her mare, it did become very uncomfortable when she muscled up correctly, so just because they're adjustable doesn't mean it can be made to fit.

I also find the stirrup bars a bit far forward so they tend to encourage a chair seat IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I have the T6 I think... the one without the suede bit on it & its not leather either, I think the girth straps are leather.

But its a fantastic saddle - so comfortable & adjustable. I got it for my veteran with high withers & find it brilliant :) Very secure for jumping but also a decent leg position for flatwork & it was adjustable to fit his shark fin withers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

Hm. Not sure what to do.
    Had to sell my lovely stubben as he was out of work and changed shape and lost a lot of muscle turning him into shark withers and the stubben no longer fitted at all. He's a 6 yo Irish draught so going to change more.
    Currently riding in a wintec but I have to use a riser and a polypad and a prolite wither pad to fill in the hollows. Was hoping a high wither saddle would be a better option but can't afford anything expensive at the moment.

Why dont you look at getting the Wintec adjusted to remove the need for a riser, getting it refitted shouldnt be expensive - €75 with one saddler I know of to come out & refit & then get something like this for his withers??

http://www.saddlery.biz/brand/acavallo/acavallo-gel-front-riser.html

I've used one of these before until the horse filled into himself :)

Hadn't considered getting the wintec adjusted. Might look in to that. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

A wintec will NOT fit a high wither.

elusiveguy wrote: »
    A wintec will NOT fit a high wither.

no it doesn't really fit without all the extras and even then its not right.

Maybe a saddler/fitter could do something with it - otherwise you might be able to trade it in against something else? They might have something 2nd hand in stock that would be suitable.

If you fancy taking a long spin, Old Mill Saddlery up north is well worth the trip - over 600 saddles in stock in their stock at any time, 2nd hand and new, and they have an arena you can ride in & they will adjust there & then aswell. They are unbelievably helpful & knowledgeable aswell.
    Well worth the spin - honestly!

color_girl wrote: »
    Maybe a saddler/fitter could do something with it

you really couldn't, it would either be in awful balance or bridging horribly. Either way, horsey will suffer :(

Think I'll go with the t4 for now anyway. Maybe get the saddler out when funds allow and upgrade when he hopefully fills out again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement