Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Customer Service Quality

Options
  • 03-03-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Does it even exist? Finished an 18 month contract with O2, paying 50e a month and 10e insurance, and went into a store on Friday to see what happens next. First of all, possibly the rudest staff member I've ever encountred, who didn't even look at me, acted as if I was causing him some sort of hassle. Told him I'd like to stay with O2, except on a cheaper plan, and he offered a whopping 45e deal. Hardly exceptional. Not eligible for an upgrade (despite being with O2 for 5 years), and when I asked about the 37.50e deal (All calls, All texts and Unlimited Data), he gave me some bull about this being a christmas deal. I knew it wasn't as my other half got it 4 weeks ago, in an O2 store, just to get her to come over to bill pay. Anyway, I moved on and asked him what happens if I want to change provider so. I was told that was fine, would need an unlock code which can be texted to my phone, but could all be done in whatever store I went to. Fine so. Went and joined up to Three's 29.50 Everything plan, and they set it up in store.

When I went home I entered the sim and was told that the sim wasn't valid, and the phone was locked to a specific carrier, who needed to authorise an unlocking. First I heard of it. Spoke to a girl on Live Chat, who informed me I would need to provide my IMEI number which would be sent off to Apple to unlock, and would take up to 2 working days (bare in mind this is Friday afternoon). She took all my account details, my IMEI number etc. Asked why I wasn't told of this in store, and could I speak to someone higher. I got no response after ten minutes and closed the chat.

Today I recieved an email saying the IMEI number I registred wasn't registered to O2. Nothing else. Got back on Live chat and was told that in fact yes the IMEI number wasn't registred. No other information apart from "Go get a NEW O2 sim and register" and "I'm really sorry". Once again asked to be passed to someone higher, and just got again "I'm really sorry". Fantastic.

So I ended up getting the customer care number myself. Got through to a girl who informed me that in fact as my phone had been replaced (through o2 insurance provider) the IMEI number they had registered wasn't the updated one! That the one I had given was nothing to do with them, as it came from the insurance provider and they had no clue what network that would be locked to and it definitely wasn't with them. And that was that.

No offer a temporary O2 sim to use whilst the problem gets resolved, no apologies, nothing. Just a number of the insurance company who, and I quote, "We don't deal with queries". Even though when I asked when purchasing the insurance, the benefits of getting it through o2, I was told because it means less hassle with outside entities! So I've had no phone since Friday, the insurance company only open 9-5, and I'll be lucky to have a phone come Friday.

Well done O2. Superb service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Wardie23 wrote: »
    Does it even exist?
    Yes. I'm sure this is actually the first time I've heard of a bad O2 customer service experience, whereas complaints about the other mobile providers seem endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MINTY 2007

Took out contract with O2 IN dec 2013 , mobile , fixed , broadband combined,
    we changed our fixed line number in house wit permission from O2,
    FAST FORWARD after at least 10 phonecalls still no fixed line transferred over from Eircom,
    have been told time after time they will see it is sorted,
    At this stage I HAVE 2 BILLS, EIRCOM AND O2,
    today told will get discount off bill,
    problem is O2 have no person capable of sorting this mess

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - do you want me to move this thread to the Talk to O2 forum, to see if the reps there can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Now that you have left O2 your only hope to get your iphone unlocked is the 02 Talk to forum.

I agree your version of the experience of the 02 shop was crap, which is odd as 02 ask customers to comment on and grade their server after a sale.

I'd write to the manager of the store and make them aware of how their staff are treating customers, but you can't blame the staff if there are no suitable rate for existing customers available or if you are not entitled to an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You say in your first paragraph that the 02 rep advised you that you would need an unlock code before you left their network so that you could use your phone with a different company.

In the second paragraph you say that you were told you would need an unlocking code and "this was the first you heard of it" ......

Would it not have been wise to check with 3 that your phone was unlocked before you switched networks. Would you not have expected 3 to have checked this for you ?

This really isnt a problem for 02 as they havnt dont anything wrong in this situation.Also you are an ex customer, currently a 3 customer. I would say you have words with the 3 agent who was happy to port your number off the 02 network without checking to see if it would cause you a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭lau1247

Few mistakes coupled with unfortunate series of events

OP, You should have got the phone unlock by O2 before porting over

As for the IMEI thing, apple don't do unlock code to the best of my knowledge, they unlock it on their server and you unlock it via itunes.

What comes on as strange for me is that if O2 didn't recognise the phone as supplied by their network because you got a replacement from the insurance provider. Then does that not mean the phone is already unlock?? As in you were using O2 sim in a different network iphone. If it is not unlock, then surely it would be an O2 locked phone.

I think what would help is to look at your iphone box and see if there is IMEI number on it, cross check with your actual phone (assuming when you got it replaced, you didn't send the box).

I would certainly question about the strange observation i mentioned above along with the IMEI. Plus they should have record of you sending the phone for replacement in their system.

As for O2 temporary sim, i wouldn't think they would offer one as you are an ex customer and also they could give you a new blank one with no credit just like one you can pick up from the shop. You're not going to get the same number as you are now signed onto 3's package. It would be a little pointless as no one will know your number anyway.

Good luck

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 o2retailman

lau1247 wrote: »
    Few mistakes coupled with unfortunate series of events

OP, You should have got the phone unlock by O2 before porting over

As for the IMEI thing, apple don't do unlock code to the best of my knowledge, they unlock it on their server and you unlock it via itunes.

What comes on as strange for me is that if O2 didn't recognise the phone as supplied by their network because you got a replacement from the insurance provider. Then does that not mean the phone is already unlock?? As in you were using O2 sim in a different network iphone. If it is not unlock, then surely it would be an O2 locked phone.

I think what would help is to look at your iphone box and see if there is IMEI number on it, cross check with your actual phone (assuming when you got it replaced, you didn't send the box).

I would certainly question about the strange observation i mentioned above along with the IMEI. Plus they should have record of you sending the phone for replacement in their system.

As for O2 temporary sim, i wouldn't think they would offer one as you are an ex customer and also they could give you a new blank one with no credit just like one you can pick up from the shop. You're not going to get the same number as you are now signed onto 3's package. It would be a little pointless as no one will know your number anyway.

Good luck

If your phone was replaced by insurance the imei of your new iphone might not be the correct one o2 have on record the imei number is not allways changed.u must request it to be changed.never the less it is still the phone that the insurer would have and would not take long to sort out...*#06# and press call will give you the correct imei for your phone...check if that is the imei on your account as even when the account is closed that can be checked... im annoyed to hear about the service you got in store what o2 store was it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

.. im annoyed to hear about the service you got in store what o2 store was it

That is irrelevant to the query raised by the OP. Are you an official Boards.ie rep for O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Off topic posts about other service providers deleted. Stick to the OT please.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I had an iPhone with O2 about 4/5 yrs ago which got replaced through insurance (eagle star iirc). Came a time when I wanted to switch network but keep my phone and sure enough they didn't recognise the IMEI. Informed them of the scenario, original damaged, replaced by ins. Co...... and they asked for some proof of this. Off the top of my head I can't remember if I had the document at home or whether I rang ins. co and asked them to email it, but once that was done the phone was unlocked 2 days later. Can't understand why this isn't the practice today. Unless one of the customer service agents got crossed wires and just didn't understand the situation???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 o2retailman

That is irrelevant to the query raised by the OP. Are you an official Boards.ie rep for O2?

No im not but i do work for o2. Staying on topic..if you ask what the imei is on record for your old accout.if it is not that of your current phone please inform them about the insurance change.i had much the same issue 2-3 months ago.got is sorted and the unlock code was sent to the customer within 48 hours

Advertisement