Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

• 03-03-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

With local elections (and Euopean elections) taking place on May 23rd, what question will you ask canvassers when they come calling?

What are the issues you care most about on a local level? Any dealbreakers that would turn you on/off a candidate if they aren't on the same line of thinking as you?

Caveat: this thread is for questions only. At a later stage Boards will try to arrange responses from local politicians.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'd ask them about the secret clause in the new Greystones Harbour Public Private Partnership contract.
    The one that was allegedly inserted after the downturn, and allows Sisk to walk off site and not come back until property prices reach a certain level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Are the town councils no more this time around??

If so, I will ask Any perspective coubty councillor to look into ways of limiting the power of Co Manager.

Eddie Sheehy is essentially king of Wicklow for the rest of his working life should he choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are the town councils no more this time around??

If so, I will ask Any perspective coubty councillor to look into ways of limiting the power of Co Manager.

Eddie Sheehy is essentially king of Wicklow for the rest of his working life should he choose.

Town councils will be abolished from 1st June

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mail4liam

If it's Labour calling, I won't even open the door as they are a waste of space!

If it's F/G I'll be asking what about their 5 point plan?

If it's F/f I'll say no thanks guys, we just can't trust you any-more!

If it's S/F calling, I'll gladly give them a vote & a chance to prove themselves!

If it's a you person running as an Independent, I'll listen to them & judge them on their spiel!

no votes for FF/ FG / or The Labour Party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If it's Sinn Fein I'll be asking John Brady to show us that eviction letter that he claims to have received...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

zoobizoo wrote: »
    If it's Sinn Fein I'll be asking John Brady to show us that eviction letter that he claims to have received...

I'd say he received it alright. Very interesting stuff....I'm way too nosey for my own good! Would love to know the ins and outs of this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mail4liam

John Brady couldn't buy publicity like that for love nor money, coming up to the local elections! I'm sure the story is true or John wouldn't have published it to the Bray public!
    It's an ill wind that blows some good for people, I'm sure John will do fine, he's a great following in the Bray locality!

As regards the local elections coming up, best of luck to all Candidates by the way!:cool:

What he received was a letter that his neighbours who had also renovated their houses received... and that was a letter asking them to revert the house to its original state or be faced with possible eviction.

The attics in those houses need to be reverted for fire safety reasons....

What he received was a letter that his neighbours who had also renovated their houses received... and that was a letter asking them to revert the house to its original state or be faced with possible eviction.

The attics in those houses need to be reverted for fire safety reasons....

I believe the attic was converted before they moved in and they just added stairs.

Still no sign of the letter though....

How did they access the attic without stairs?

• Advertisement

Hot air currents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭anonanymore

Do they support Eddie Sheehy as County Manager?

Still no sign of the letter though....

How did they access the attic without stairs?

I don't want to add to the gossip mill so I am not talking about any particular person but some tenants had their attics converted with just a pull down stairs to access.

I will be asking John Brady to show me the letter from the council regarding his alleged eviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I will be asking John Brady to show me the letter from the council regarding his alleged eviction.

Why? Would you not just say that you think he is a liar and will not get your vote

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

I will be discussing the new North Wicklow ET school and how the children of North Wicklow (GETNS and WETNS) are not on the feeder list and asking how they will stand up for our children.

While I'm here...

After all of our efforts - in 2016 - patronage for a North Wicklow ET school has been granted (a location has not been confirmed) but the bad news is Greystones ET and Wicklow ET are NOT on the feeder list. PLEASE SIGN all 3 PETITIONS on this page and help us send a message to the Minister, the TD's and all current Councillors and those running in the upcoming election...our voices will be heard, thank you for your support.

http://northwicklowetsecondary.ie/

Nancenet70 wrote: »
    I will be discussing the new North Wicklow ET school and how the children of North Wicklow (GETNS and WETNS) are not on the feeder list and asking how they will stand up for our children.
    In fairness, Wicklow town ET is a long way from Bray, and the pupils of Greystones ET primary school have already been given priority admission to the new Templecarrig publicly owned secondary school to be built in Greystones by Dept. of Education.
    It would not be very fair for these GETNS pupils to get priority in Bray as well as Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I will be telling any canidate from FF/FG/LAB to step off my property as they all paid the bondholders and all supported the FEMPI Act. Im not sure who I will vote for? Are there any people before profit out here? SF? I suppose SF in Bray?!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I will be telling any canidate from FF/FG/LAB to step off my property as they all paid the bondholders and all supported the FEMPI Act. Im not sure who I will vote for? Are there any people before profit out here? SF? I suppose SF in Bray?!
    I hope so because if I'm voting anyone it'll be PBP first of all if they're in the area or SF. The current government makes me sick. Even more so that I didn't vote for them.

If voting PBP-take time over your number 2. Good chance candidate will be eliminated so your number 2 will come into play. I think SF/IRA owe a real apology over North but Im voting for them because the establishment need a shock otherwise nothing will rally change.

• Advertisement

The PBP candidate in Bray really has nothing to offer in my opinion. Just shouting. I mean there are some people in PBP that I genuinely think are good candidates/politicians but honestly not the Bray one.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If voting PBP-take time over your number 2. Good chance candidate will be eliminated so your number 2 will come into play. I think SF/IRA owe a real apology over North but Im voting for them because the establishment need a shock otherwise nothing will rally change.

I'd never vote for a candidate who posted a tribute on his FB page to a failed IRA bomber .

Had the bomber been successful with his 20kg of semtex, would the same candidate have been happy with the murder of innocent people residing in London?

Not only did the bomber blow himself up but injured innocent travellers and left a bus driver happy.

Yet last year, the SF candidate lauded this guy as a "brave volunteer" who "fought bravely".

I'd like to ask John Brady what is so brave about trying to murder innocent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I'd never vote for a candidate who posted a tribute on his FB page to a failed IRA bomber .

Had the bomber been successful with his 20kg of semtex, would the same candidate have been happy with the murder of innocent people residing in London?

Not only did the bomber blow himself up but injured innocent travellers and left a bus driver happy.

Yet last year, the SF candidate lauded this guy as a "brave volunteer" who "fought bravely".

I'd like to ask John Brady what is so brave about trying to murder innocent people.

Why don'tcha.

What are the big questions to ask the MEP candidates? Really not clued in on that one at all.

Why don'tcha.

What are the big questions to ask the MEP candidates? Really not clued in on that one at all.

I will when or if he calls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I would ask them to spare me the no to: water charges, austerity, cuts, immigration, chem-trails and freemasons. Do not preach to me, it is easy to say no to everything, any four year old can tell you that, besides these are national issues.

I am voting to put someone in for my local needs; planning, community development, playgrounds, parks, local enterprise, quality of life, job creation you know Wicklow stuff!

What ideas do they have in that regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Wally Runs wrote: »
    I would ask them to spare me the no to: water charges, austerity, cuts, immigration, chem-trails and freemasons. Do not preach to me, it is easy to say no to everything, any four year old can tell you that, besides these are national issues.

I am voting to put someone in for my local needs; planning, community development, playgrounds, parks, local enterprise, quality of life, job creation you know Wicklow stuff!

What ideas do they have in that regard?

Conspiracy theories are not a national issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

LEIN wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories are not a national issue.

<<<snip>>>

I wish they were every year along with the general elections, it would keep the politicians on their toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Wally Runs wrote: »
    <<<snip>>>

No, it posted alright, I removed it as it's a non issue on this thread.

As I said and you have backed me up now, conspiracy theories are not a national issue.

You can talk about that issue as much as you like in the conspiracy theories thread.

• Advertisement

I'd like to ask Mr. Brady what his take on the latest arrest has been and if he believes Mr. Adam's denial of IRA membership.

I'd also like to know if he agrees with Mary Lou McDonald's assertion that the arrest is politically motivated.

Lastly, I'd like to ask him if he thinks that SF should stop co-operating with the PSNI if Mr. Adams is found guilty.

Preferably, he'd have his own thoughts on this rather than spouting the party line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I think Mary Lou could well be right. The timing is very shifty to me.

Anyway.

The obvious first question is about that ******* Eddie Sheehy. Do they support him etc. Not that it makes much difference since they apparatnely can't get rid of him so we are stuck with him.

Then there are the questions on what exactly they HAVE done for Wicklow and what they ARE going to do. If you get the usual drivel it'l be 'yeah whatever'. I know solidly who I am NOT voting for. And I know solidly who my number 1 is going to. After that it is so far an open line.

As to the EU elections I haven't the first fog. Thanks to the eyesore posters I know of a few who are standing, although I have never heard of any of them before apart from Simon Harris. Again I know who I would NOT vote for, but not the first fog who to vote for.

I'd want to know why Europe is worth it. Why electing them to the EU yokie is gonna help me. It seems that being part of Europe is nothing but bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yosserhughes

I would ask them 1..Are you in favor of water taxes? 2...Are you in favor of home tax?....3..Do you agree with the very unfair Green Party carbon tax being imposed on people?...Yes to any of the above and I would be politely asking them to leave.

Have had only two canvassers not impressed. Im just waiting for the Fianna Failures to show up or Labour. In the end FG were at hear -heartless. So nothing surprising there. FF grossly-incompetent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In the East-Wicklow LEA (covering Wicklow Town, Rathnew, Ashford, Glenealy, Newtownmountkennedy, Kilpedder and Roundwood):

Quota was approx 1,400.

John Snell (SF) has been elected at the first count with over 1,500 first preferences, beating the quota. Well done to John!

Daire Nolan (Ind) was second place after the first count, with 1,139 first preferences.

Pat Casey (FF) was third place after the first count, with 1,114 first preferences.

Shay Cullen (FG) was fourth place after the first count, with 1,013 first preferences.

There was a big gap then to the 5th placed candidate, who I believe was Irene Winters (FG), 6th Gail Dunne (FF), 7th Malcolm Earls (FG).

Most pollsters predict that Nolan, Casey and Cullen will be declared elected early tomorrow, with a heated battle emerging for the final two seats between Irene Winters, Gail Dunne and Malcolm Earls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Wicklow LEA after Count 6:

10417538_10152400437848116_5798430259764892773_n.jpg

Baltinglass LEA after Count 5:

10361063_10152400465298116_3448523119069091806_n.jpg

Arklow LEA after Count 5:

10013520_10152400460488116_6126355345636997684_n.jpg

Bray LEA after Count 4:

10357174_10152400456713116_2243348591599988209_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Fair play to Brendan for getting a seat.

Fair play to Brendan a shame he didn't get in

Huh?

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement