Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway. German vs Multiples

Options
  • 03-03-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

The whole of Ireland seems to think that Aldi and Lidl offer better value than Dunnes and Tesco. This is not always true.

In fact the best value I have found is at Joyces supermarket in Galway. They generally match the 39c veg thing and will do other loss-leading items but you have to watch for them.

Having said that Aldi are really good. For tins of beans, tomatos, rice, pasta, biscuits, bread, oil, wine, spirits, washing powder. I suppose my message is that you have to shop around. Lidl have some really good products but NEVER as cheap as Aldi. Joyces are excellent and always have great offers.

Lesson learned: DO YOUR RESEARCH and then drive to three different stores. Bring a calculator for multiple packs such as loo-paper etc. or be very good at mental arithmetic. Obviously quality is important so you need to be able to put weights on your input variables when performing calculations.

So we do a weekly shop at Aldi, swing by Dunnes and go to Joyces for quality items and discounted items -cheaper than anywhere else a lot of the time!. For meat we would occasionally use Divillys in Westside. I would say at this stage 65% of groceries bought at Aldi and remainder elsewhere.

ALL Supermarket chains use the same strategy. They have what are called 'loss-leaders', i.e. 39 c. Then you pay premium prices for mainstream, branded products.

Aldi and Joyces best value I have seen in Galway. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Appreciate your post Mr Joyce......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

The whole of Ireland seems to think that Aldi and Lidl offer better value than Dunnes and Tesco. This is not always true.

When you compare like with like its interesting. For example, a 500 ml bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup is €2.99 in Lidl, and only €1.49 in Tesco for the exact same bottle. So Tesco is half the price of Lidl.

In addition, Tesco, because it is a bigger store, has different size bottle,of Heinz unlike Lidl. You can get even better value in Tesco for Heinz ketchup per ml of ketchup by buying a bigger bottle/ container. You cannot do that in Lidl.

Course if you go for unbranded / cheapo s*** ketchup in lidl it may be a little cheaper, but it tastes like ****. A friend tried to fool her kids by putting the lidl unbranded stuff in a heinz bottle but her kids were not fooled, said the ketchup was off / tasted foul.

Advertisement