Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates at the door?

Options
  • 03-03-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭

Local elections are taking place on May 23rd, what question will you ask the candidates when they come knocking at your door?

What issues do you care about most in your area and what would sway your opinion about a particular candidate?

For the moment this is a thread for opinions and questions. Boards are hoping to arrange a Q&A with some local candidates nearer the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

1) Traffic solution to Lucan - when will the loop be made one way and when will through traffic be discouraged.
    2) Where's the tenner the council owe me since December 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What are their credentials for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

water meter outside. after the property tax, where am i supposed to find the money to pay that? my income has been cut heavily, also getting taxed more? where am i supposed to get extra money?

I want to see what the councillors knowledge is on local issues, taxes are more national so they cant do anything about that, thats our lucan td's job.

I want to see what the councillors knowledge is on local issues, taxes are more national so they cant do anything about that, thats our lucan td's job.

funny you should say that. havent heard a dickie from our local tds since election. im assuming they are hiding. sent an email to derek keating. no reply.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    funny you should say that. havent heard a dickie from our local tds since election. im assuming they are hiding. sent an email to derek keating. no reply.

I am sure you will hear something when the next election comes around. He be your best buddy then.

Councils are going to have power to adjust the LPT so what about a commitment to reduce the LPT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

lord lucan wrote: »
    what question will you ask the candidates when they come knocking at your door?

Don't worry, I'll knock on their doors long before they get the chance.

foreign wrote: »
    Councils are going to have power to adjust the LPT so what about a commitment to reduce the LPT?

Did they say when this will happen?

any candidates stick their heads above the parapet yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

any candidates stick their heads above the parapet yet?

Paul Gogarty is the only one to knock on my door (that I noticed). Unfortunately, I was just heading out with the kids. Would have liked a chat with him. I don't know him and I am no fan of the green party (RIP) but I have a feeling he is a decent guy

Saw William Lavelle in my estate too, canvassing. Sound guy, he invested a lot of his time and expertise (earning him nothing, that was before he was a councillor) into opposing the Clonburris high rise 900 unit development that was to be built right outside of my garden :eek:

The county council granted permission for that horror of a development (the brown envelopes must have flowed richly). And that was even after the most corrupt politician who has ever lived in Lucan, Liam Lawlor, was already dead :eek:

One small mercy of the recession, that development will never happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

is there a list anywhere of people running?

Nice to see them getting their posters up before they are meant to also.

I see Tuffy and Jones are back around too, only see and hear from them at election time, will run them from the house this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

lots up today and I doubt they were out after midnight putting them up.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/ElectionPosters/
    Q. What about the May 2014 elections?

A. Local election candidates can only erect posters from 23rd April 2014, which is 30 days before the polling date.

European Parliament election candidates can only erect posters from 23rd April 2014, which is 30 days before the polling date.

Candidates must remove all posters within 7 days of the poll. These requirements for election posters are set out under section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He's been keeping a very low profile since the whole newspaper incident.

Anyway, regarding the local issues:
    1. I'd certainly be echoing the previous poster concerning the trafic in Lucan village.
    2. I'll also be asking what will be done about the inevitable increase in traffic on Esker Lane once the new school opens on the old recycling centre site. I dread to think what the trafic is going to be like on Willsbrook Road in the morning once it opens.
    3. I'll probably also raise the LPT topic and ask how the candidates see that panning out over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'll also be asking if Lucan will see the same amount of investment as "more deprived areas" into facilities for kids and teenagers.
    I will be looking for answers on LPT, water charges.
    I will also ask when are we getting our promised fire station, after a recent incident in waiting 40 mins for an ambulance that got lost twice, shouting down the phone to the dispatcher while performing CPR.
    Will the council support a local first responder team, there are plenty of AED machines in clubs and pubs around and lots of people trained in their use.
    Are the council going to install a few more rubbish bins, the litter about is terrible.

one candidate from one of the "big 2" parties has called at doors and claimed to be independent! also heard a new term called "independent minded" or "independent thinking". either way the FF/FG name is obviously so tarnished that their candidates are trying to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

How are you going to fix the employment prospects of our youth. How will you remove Jobsbridge and any other schemes that exploit the unemployed.

Been lookin at the candidates, so far this chap is standing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Xios wrote: »
    How are you going to fix the employment prospects of our youth. How will you remove Jobsbridge and any other schemes that exploit the unemployed.

Been lookin at the candidates, so far this chap is standing out.

While local employment may be something for councillors, overall youth employment is national policy, not local governance.
    Similarly, Jobsbridge is national policy and our local councillors have zero influence concerning it.
    That's the sort of stuff we talk to TDs about and get the councillors to fix the potholes.

EDIT: from looking at Alan's webpage, he looks a very good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Heroditas wrote: »
    While local employment may be something for councillors, overall youth employment is national policy, not local governance.
    Similarly, Jobsbridge is national policy and our local councillors have zero influence concerning it.
    That's the sort of stuff we talk to TDs about and get the councillors to fix the potholes.

EDIT: from looking at Alan's webpage, he looks a very good candidate.

Totally realised that after i posted, but i go down with my posts :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement