Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 1 (around James Joyce Street) - What's it like?

Options
  • 03-03-2014 9:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've just started working on a James Joyce Street, and there's an apartment next door which I'm looking at, but I'm just wondering what the area is like. One of the lads mentioned it can be a bit dodgy around there, but wasn't able to be much more specific than that.

It would be dead handy as its literally next door to work.

Also, any good gyms near there?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

That's a fairly new st, it's beside Liberty house, probably one of the most dangerous areas in Dublin in its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My parents have an apartment rented there. And its not what you call the most pleasant area to live. The tenants said you hear children shouting on the streets at 11.30pm on a school night.

But if its right beside work, I say you have a pretty good idea what the area is like yourself. Like TBH anywhere between the two canals isnt going to be nice suburban living. But living in the city is amazing. I have friends that have live in the roughest parts of the city and none of them have had issues. I have walked home through rough parts of the city in the middle of the night with no issues. Dublin is a pretty safe city, the media just happens to portray it as a gloried slum. Just be smart and you will be grand.

For gyms you have the ben Dunne one at Jervis St or the DCC Markievicz one on Townsend St which is supposed to be nice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Only started work last week, and not really been around at night. Was there tonight around 8pm, and i'm not sure about it. I've lived off James and Thomas Street over the years, and for all the bad name that came with some of that area, i never had any trouble there. Seems like D1 has a worse reputation, from what i've heard though.

Don't really fancy having any hassle when walking home from the pub at the weekends.

I don't agree with the "two canals" comment at all. @ OP, I personally wouldn't live in that particular area for free, but if you widen your search slightly there are some nice little apartment developments in around Ignatious road just off Dorset st, short walk to a few nice pubs in Drumcondra and great access to public transport, 5 minutes by bike to your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I wouldn't live anywhere near liberty house, only 1 takeaway delivers there , gardai wont go in and tbh what lives in it and hangs around James Joyce street would be the biggest deal breaker

You would be stone mad to live there. I know people in the new apartments there dying to get out of it, just tied up until leases expire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not an issue anymore, as the flat is gone unfortunately. Ah well, back to daft.

Cheers for the info folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

roadsmart wrote: »
    I don't agree with the "two canals" comment at all. @ OP, I personally wouldn't live in that particular area for free, but if you widen your search slightly there are some nice little apartment developments in around Ignatious road just off Dorset st, short walk to a few nice pubs in Drumcondra and great access to public transport, 5 minutes by bike to your workplace.

Dorset Street is "rough" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Ive worked in dublin 1 for 6 years now. Ive never experienced problems myself, but have seen all sorts of thievery, fighting and other skullduggery. It certainly has an edge about it. That said, thats been during the day, if ive been around at night ive found it pretty quiet normally, although i work at the other side of d.1 by capel st.

Ive lived in stoneybatter for the last year or so, i love it, close to the park, a couple of really good pubs in the area, generally pretty safe. Its a 20 min walk to parnell st, or you could get a 15 min luas to abbey street, could do a lot worse than looking for an apt in the stoneybatter/smithfield type area.

Best of luck.

anncoates wrote: »
    Dorset Street is "rough" too.

The end of Dorset st bordering on Drumcondra is nowhere near like the central or city end parts, and none of it remotely compares with the original area under discussion. The streets I mentioned are very old quiet streets with a couple of modern quiet hidden developments mixed in, and IMO I t's actually a very pleasant area to live in. Smithfield would also be good for the OP, as would the Mater area. I don't live there, but would be happy to do so in other circumstances.

Advertisement