Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 tenancy question?

Options
  • 03-03-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Our 1 year lease was up recently and the agents proposed a new rental amount per month amounting to an increase in the rent of approximately 8%, which we accepted, although the new monthly rental amount is now the max we can afford unless our financial circumstances improve in future.

That aside, I also requested that we go onto a part 4 tenancy arrangement rather than a new 1 year lease, as was also proposed to the agent. I was on this arrangement with a previous landlord for nearly 6 years in my previous place and the arrangement worked pretty well as I used to regularly bargain the rent downwards over a 4-5 year period (circa 2007-2012).

Am I right in thinking that the landlord has to choice but to accept my request to go onto a part 4 arrangement?

I haven't had a response yet (only mailed them earlier today) and just want to be 100% clear or our rights as tenant in case they try and pull the old "can't go on part 4 / haven't heard of part 4" card etc...

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have been on a part 4 tenancy since month 6 of your lease, it did not come into effect on its own until your lease finished. The LL can't force you to sign a new lease and can't evict you and also can't raise the rent more than once in any 12 months period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

OK that's along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks alot!

Advertisement