Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba Encore 32gb Full Win 8 Tablet, €230

• 03-03-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Encore-8-inch-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00GNBAL36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393881579&sr=8-2&keywords=toshiba+encore

Also available in PC world for €250, it was about 50-60 quid more around Christmas when I was in the market for a tablet like this, I ended up with its Dell rival, but they are all essentially the same, a small form factor windows 8 machine. It comes with Office 2013. They are also very fast to use, despite what you would think, browsing the web and the metro UI are a pleasure. Theres still a lack of apps in the windows store, but you can run anything a full machine could run, provided it plays nice with a touchscreen (and doesn't need a massive processor/RAM/CPU). Only cavet is that theres only about 8-9gb free space between windows and recovery disks, but you can add a micro SD and move the recovery partition off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

imitation wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Encore-8-inch-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00GNBAL36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393881579&sr=8-2&keywords=toshiba+encore

Also available in PC world for €250, it was about 50-60 quid more around Christmas when I was in the market for a tablet like this, I ended up with its Dell rival, but they are all essentially the same, a small form factor windows 8 machine. It comes with Office 2013. They are also very fast to use, despite what you would think, browsing the web and the metro UI are a pleasure. Theres still a lack of apps in the windows store, but you can run anything a full machine could run, provided it plays nice with a touchscreen (and doesn't need a massive processor/RAM/CPU). Only cavet is that theres only about 8-9gb free space between windows and recovery disks, but you can add a micro SD and move the recovery partition off.

Comparison with the Dell Venue Pro

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=49SngOGBWgk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS-...R_1281901.html

is it better then the one above?

edit...
    Ok the toshiba is better if happy with 8 inch.

The Dell is better again but way more expensive and doesnt include office beyond a trial version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Vivotab is windows rt, it cant run desktop apps. The dell is lighter and has stylus support, but performance wise it should be the same.

You can get the dell with office, you need to get it through the home store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

**** sake bargain alerts I just bought a dell venue pro 8 32gb for 280 and the delivery has been delayed till 17th kicking myself now :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cas2kx wrote: »
    **** sake bargain alerts I just bought a dell venue pro 8 32gb for 280 and the delivery has been delayed till 17th kicking myself now :/

can you not cancel it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Might do now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

So can you hook up to monitor and us Bluetooth mouse keyboard and also charge at the same time, essentially getting a desktop for the basics if I neeed a bigger screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

id say you could

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

jmorrisey wrote: »
    id say you could

http://www.toshiba.ie/laptops/tablets/encore/

"Encore offers comprehensive connectivity options – including a micro-USB for sharing content, a micro-HDMI® for displaying your media in lifelike detail on a TV screen, and a micro-SD slot to increase storage capacity or swap and transfer files."

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gerry26

Hi . Thanks for the post but just wondering is it possible to view my recorded lecture on this tablet which needs flash player support. I'm currently doing my masters and all my lecture video needs flash player and I couldn't install flash player in my samsung tab3. So I would be ideal if it supports flash. Any advise on this would be a great help.

• Advertisement

gerry26 wrote: »
    Hi . Thanks for the post but just wondering is it possible to view my recorded lecture on this tablet which needs flash player support. I'm currently doing my masters and all my lecture video needs flash player and I couldn't install flash player in my samsung tab3. So I would be ideal if it supports flash. Any advise on this would be a great help.

it's full Windows 8 so will run any PC app.
    Well, non demanding ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gerry26

long_b wrote: »
    it's full Windows 8 so will run any PC app.
    Well, non demanding ones anyway.

Thank you long b for the reply. It would be really handy and helpful for my purpose. Thanks

gerry26 wrote: »
    Thank you long b for the reply. It would be really handy and helpful for my purpose. Thanks

This is its biggest advantage, metro ie supports far more sites and plugins than android, such as flash and silverlight. It makes them great tablets for power users. And if IE doesnt suit, just switch to desktop and use firefox or chrome. Windows 8 has great touchscreen support so most basic programs are very usable. (not going to be using autocad thoigh).

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Yeah, looks good. Need a basic device and have been looking at the new Samsung 13" Chromebook now that it has a decent screen, would suit my needs. My old iMac G5 is on its last legs and I just can’t afford a new iMac right now but will most likely get one in the future or a second hand one (I like to use Garageband), but for now need something basic for the day to day browsing, touching up CV’s etc.

Pro’s for the chromebook is that I could us as is, the Toshiba tablet I would more than likely still need a monitor for more intensive work (remote access to work etc)…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I actually just reviewed this tablet myself over the last few weeks and must say it was a pleasure to use. €230 is an excellent price.

The best thing I found about it was the battery life considering how small the tablet actually is. PC Mark 8 battery benchmark lasted over 5 hours with a reported battery life of over 6 hours and that was with 50-percent brightness and the WiFi connected. That being said, there wasn't really anything negative about the entire tablet and most things were spot on.

Anyone have any questions about it, just asked. Still have it here.

Thor wrote: »
    ... Anyone have any questions about it, just asked. Still have it here.
    Does anyone have any info on how much the 64GB SSD version impacts battery life?

Great price. Thanks OP.

mathepac wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on how much the 64GB SSD version impacts battery life?

Great price. Thanks OP.

The one I reviewed is the 64GB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Just bought a W8 phone and like it, will head to PC World and try this out before I buy. thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just bought a W8 phone and like it, will head to PC World and try this out before I buy. thanks OP

This is more comparable to a laptop, rather than a phone. It will run anything your laptop will(so long as you're not trying to run something ridiculous like Call of Duty).

I have one and love it. I can use it as a regular tablet for internet and other things, can fire up a full desktop to do real work, and everything works on it. Rather than using Android and the likes where somethings just wont work. And plus the battery life on these devices is great.

Anyone have any questions about it, just asked. Still have it here.

The little ones love their Flash games - how do they work on such a small screen ?

I've a netbook I've grown to dislike ... does it perform like a netbook or a desktop ? Have you tried loading it up full ?

how does B/T mouse and external hdd work together ? Can it power a 2.5" HDD ?

• Advertisement

This is more comparable to a laptop, rather than a phone. It will run anything your laptop will(so long as you're not trying to run something ridiculous like Call of Duty).

I have one and love it. I can use it as a regular tablet for internet and other things, can fire up a full desktop to do real work, and everything works on it. Rather than using Android and the likes where somethings just wont work. And plus the battery life on these devices is great.

Dont do gaming, so sounds great for the money. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I just bought a LG GPAD but this may be more suitable, can you charge it while connecting other USB devices hubs etc? What's the desktop like on a small screen? And what's the keypad like?

Thanks

I actually just reviewed this tablet myself over the last few weeks and must say it was a pleasure to use. €230 is an excellent price....
    The one I reviewed is the 64GB version.
    Sorry just a bit confused. Either you reviewed the one costing €230 or the one with the 64GB SSD. They are different models of the Encore

long_b wrote: »
    The little ones love their Flash games - how do they work on such a small screen ?

I've a netbook I've grown to dislike ... does it perform like a netbook or a desktop ? Have you tried loading it up full ?

how does B/T mouse and external hdd work together ? Can it power a 2.5" HDD ?

Not sure what you mean by flash game, but if your talking about flash game sites, they would the same as they do on a desktop, but if you need a keyboard/mouse to play them, then you just need to add them, bluetooth or usb will work.

I have been used a a 2.5-inch USB 3.0 hard drive on the tablet through a USB on the go connector and it works perfectly.

Sorry just a bit confused. Either you reviewed the one costing €230 or the one with the 64GB SSD. They are different models of the Encore

They are exactly that same with the only difference being the 64GB vs 32GB nand flash built in for storage. Everything else, spec wise, is the same. Like a 32 iPhone vs a 64GB. Just bigger capacity. Doesn't change a thing performance/battery wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

How much of the 32gb does the os take up or is that separate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    How much of the 32gb does the os take up or is that separate?

I don't have the device but given that it's Windows I'd say maybe 20GB. This seems like a great bargain, Microsoft seems to really be giving Android and iOS a run for their money!

... This seems like a great bargain, Microsoft seems to really be giving Android and iOS a run for their money!
    I agree that it's a bargain but the only reasons I'm considering it is the 32GB+Office+Toshiba combination. They used to make great laptops, top of the range in build quality & reliability. If it was a "me too" manufacturer, I'd wait and buy an iPad. Even years later, mentioning Toshiba still gets my attention due to my experience with a work lap-top. That is a fair endorsement from a dedicated Apple user.

... Anyone have any questions about it, just asked. Still have it here.
    Out of the box, how much of the 64GB SSD is free for user files, extra apps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Had a play with one in PC world today and I'm tempted to sell my ipad 4 and get one of these, very smooth and quick.

Out of the box, how much of the 64GB SSD is free for user files, extra apps?

I just did a factory reset and took the following screenshot.

297264.png

So basically, you have 59GB total on the NAND flash. 5.48GB is taking up by the recovery built in, this brings it to 52GB available to the Windows OS. The OS and other applications use 11.60GB. So out of the box you have 40.49GB available.

So assuming the 32GB has the same setup with 29GB available on the NAND flash and the same recovery and OS files. You would only be left with around 11.92GB available space. Which is fairly low, but given a 64GB card would only set you back 30-40 euro, not too bad if you need the extra space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Whats an 8 inch screen like? If you would be using it 90% at home for internet and catch up tv is one better off getting a ten inch?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Whats an 8 inch screen like? If you would be using it 90% at home for internet and catch up tv is one better off getting a ten inch?

I think its the sweet spot between portability and screen size, its nice for browsing and watching TV. I'll admit some sites can be a bit on the small size in IE, it doesn't reflow like a nexus 7 would, but 99% of stuff is fine. 10" will give you more screen real estate, but its much less portable, even if you just walking between rooms etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think its the sweet spot between portability and screen size, its nice for browsing and watching TV. I'll admit some sites can be a bit on the small size in IE, it doesn't reflow like a nexus 7 would, but 99% of stuff is fine. 10" will give you more screen real estate, but its much less portable, even if you just walking between rooms etc.

I have a 7 inch Chinese Android tablet, which is fine, and great for travelling, but having tried out an 8 inch, I think you are spot on - the extra inch makes all the difference, but it is still very portable.

I'm thinking of getting one of these Toshiba's for my brother for his birthday. He has never used Android, and I must say that I am a getting a bit irritated with it. This might be stupid question, but if you browse a web site with a Windows tablet, do you get the full version of the web site? These mobile versions are mostly fine, but they can be a right pain.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I have a 7 inch Chinese Android tablet, which is fine, and great for travelling, but having tried out an 8 inch, I think you are spot on - the extra inch makes all the difference, but it is still very portable.

I'm thinking of getting one of these Toshiba's for my brother for his birthday. He has never used Android, and I must say that I am a getting a bit irritated with it. This might be stupid question, but if you browse a web site with a Windows tablet, do you get the full version of the web site? These mobile versions are mostly fine, but they can be a right pain.

You only get the full website in either desktop browsers or Metro IE. No popups for tapatalk or any annoying stuff like that. The only cavet I have had is, websites that need mouse over, like boards menu, don't work very well with a touchscreen. You can also get a mouse emulator that basically turns the touchscreen into a giant laptop trackpad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Not sure about windows tabs but definitely on Android most websites will have a link, usually in tiny text at the foot of the page to change to 'full website'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

iPhone. wrote: »
    Not sure about windows tabs but definitely on Android most websites will have a link, usually in tiny text at the foot of the page to change to 'full website'.

Windows will load full websites by default in Windows 8. Even on tablets, as the user agent will be be the same as on a laptop. So no worry with websites showing mobile pages.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Argh, I dont know what to do. My wife and daugher bought have the iPad mini, I have the old Hannspree Hanspad, and Im looking to get a new tablet. I have a windows phone and a HTC one, so Im ok with both operating systems. I suppose I need the following answered, Better to go for the new Nexus tablet, or this?

Main use: Basic browsing, emails, watching videos and playing the odd game.

It would also be handy if I could use remote desktop with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Think I might get this for an elderly relative but worried that browsing the internet will be a chore with such a small screen. Can the IE browser settings be changed so that websites see the device as a tablet and load an appropriate resolution for that size? In general how is it for user friendliness for the technologically illiterate?

• Advertisement

Went for it......got the flip cover too. Deliver between 14th and 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Looks good - looking for a portable pc myself and I would get it where it not for the user reviews

17 out of 45 gave it 3 stars or less out of 5 - that's quite a lot of issues - and the 3 star reviews are mostly for Amazon as they accepted it back without issue after the users failed to get it to work.

Anyone got to use one - What you think of it?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Encore-WT8-A32-8-Inch-Tablet/product-reviews/B00G1YKHHA/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

baldshin wrote: »

Agghhh! I couldn't resist any longer, one more not really necessary gadget will shortly be arriving chez Dogre.

Dogre wrote: »
    Agghhh! I couldn't resist any longer, one more not really necessary gadget will shortly be arriving chez Dogre.

U got it just in time so -

Price has gone up to just over £250

Interestingly that makes the 64G and 32G pretty much the same price now.

“Roll it back”

....damn

Anyone still interested in the tablet it's on ebuyer.com for the same £180.

http://www.ebuyer.com/584647-toshiba-encore-tablet-pc-pdw09e-00100een

Do they post to Ireland or is parcel motel needed?

Anyone still interested in the tablet it's on ebuyer.com for the same £180.

http://www.ebuyer.com/584647-toshiba-encore-tablet-pc-pdw09e-00100een

Good spot - but anyone wishing to use Ebuyer - to avoid disappointment consider some address other than parcel motel.

Some get lucky - but my order was rejected and account disabled with them them last week for asking them to post to my parcel motel address.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89281108

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Just ordered one at the lowest price quoted in this thread 180 sterling.

If people want one, its back !

(No I have nothing better to do at this time in the morning)

I just did a factory reset and took the following screenshot.

297264.png

I see bitlocker there - is that on by default or did you enable it? Do you think there is any performance hit with it being on?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement