Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penny Dreadful [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally got around to watching and finishing this after a number of failed attempts.

All I have to say what a powerhouse of a performance by Eva Green throughout the 3 seasons.

Green really carried the show at times. Would have liked one more season so that the conclusion for her arc wasn't rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

conorhal wrote: »
    The show really lost me in episode six.

It's utterly disjointed, wildly inconsistant and filled with bizzare moments when plot points are raised, dropped and picked up again mostly to remind you they are still there, while characters stand around explaining their utterly contradictory motivations which rarely make sense.
    A prime example was malcom last night, he wants Mina to find his daughter, no wait, he's off to africa on safari, no wait he's wracked with guilt over his sons death but really he's not, he's prepared to let Mina die, no wait he isn't, but damn it if John Logan isn't going to write a long monologue, something he clearly loves doing, in which the character blathers utter nonsense to try and reconcile the inconsistancies of the plot.

The show is an utter mess held together largely by Eva Green's mesmerizing performance and Dalton's scenery chewing.
    Bambi wrote: »
    It was all about the sets, fx and acting for me, plot was often paper thin.
    Nody wrote: »
    The feeling I'm getting is that the season was cut short; I'd guess they planned for 12/16/20/24 episodes and was told to cut it down to 9 which forced the arcs to be (and feel) rushed.

Some special humans are friends or foes of a menagerie of well-known supernatural characters; it's the show that 'The League of Extraordinary Gentleman' had tried to be. Penny Dreadful, though, had far more positives than negatives. Despite its many flaws, I absolutely loved it, apart from the rushed ending.

Luscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels so different without the other characters .. and with the sunlight

Slydice wrote: »
    Feels so different without the other characters .. and with the sunlight
    Yeah looks completely different, should it be a new thread then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well that looks like some current year woke bull****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It feels like the only reason is to try to get the name recognition in there because it seriously lack a connection; will probably watch an episode or two to see if the series is worth it on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Haven’t watched the trailer but John Logan is writer / producer, so I’m holding out some hope it can be at the same standard as Penny Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah looks completely different, should it be a new thread then ?

Well.. that took me longer to think about than I was expecting. My take: Yes! :)

The example I just thought about how Stargate would probably get separate threads for it's shows like Stargate, Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate: Universe

I was expecting a different aesthetic but that is quite jarring. One of the strengths of Paddy Dreadful was that it was always atmospheric.

Slydice wrote: »
    Well.. that took me longer to think about than I was expecting. My take: Yes! :)

The example I just thought about how Stargate would probably get separate threads for it's shows like Stargate, Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate: Universe

New thread created for the show

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112248727#post112248727

Advertisement