Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA

Options
  • 04-03-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey,

My qca is currently 2.48 so the best I can hope for is a 2.2 degree as its my final semester of 4th year. Ive worked out that I need a 2.96 qca this semester to get a 2.6 qca (=2.2)... I was talking to a couple of people about this and they reckon that if I get my qca to between 2.50 - 2.54 I will get an interview to get the 2.2, or if i get 2.5 or above I will be just given the 2.2.. Are the rumors true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Trader1991 wrote: »
    Hey,

My qca is currently 2.48 so the best I can hope for is a 2.2 degree as its my final semester of 4th year. Ive worked out that I need a 2.96 qca this semester to get a 2.6 qca (=2.2)... I was talking to a couple of people about this and they reckon that if I get my qca to between 2.50 - 2.54 I will get an interview to get the 2.2, or if i get 2.5 or above I will be just given the 2.2.. Are the rumors true?

What department are you in?

While UL has the rule of 0.1 off, get an interview to decide if you should be brought up. It varies from department to department

I know woodwork people who have been 0.1 off and got bumped up automatically

I was 0.03 away from the next band and regardless of an interview the department of Physic doesn't bump unless you're 0.02 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The KBS is all I know about and they will give a 2:2 at 2.50.
    To get a 2:1 you need to be at 2.95 to get it automatically and if you are between 2.90 and 2.95 you have to attend an interview. Same goes for a 1.1, automatic at 3.35 and interview between that and 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If you're in the discretionary band, all your work comes into play over the course of your degree. If the grading meeting is of the opinion you're there because you were lazy, you're unlikely to be bumped up. It's usually used to allow for higher awards to people who deserve the higher award but didn't hit the QCA for it. Doing a good FYP is important if you think you might end up in the discretionary band, and interaction with your supervisor is important here (not licking arse, but just taking it seriously).

Any higher award is at the discretion of the department grading meeting. The external examiner may also make recommendations on awards during that process so if you're called in to see them, it's important to make a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

ryanf1 wrote: »
    The KBS is all I know about and they will give a 2:2 at 2.50.
    To get a 2:1 you need to be at 2.95 to get it automatically and if you are between 2.90 and 2.95 you have to attend an interview. Same goes for a 1.1, automatic at 3.35 and interview between that and 3.30

Yeah, im a final year business student.. would be grand if this is the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement