Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon box and laptop, limited connectivity

Options
  • 04-03-2014 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

In my bedroom with laptop, horizon box is downstairs. Connection at about -65 to -75dB.

Both my android devices connect fine from here. Laptop connects, then drops into limited after a few seconds, then cycles in to connectivity for a few seconds and out for a few minutes repeatedly.

Tried dropping into b/g/n, tried forcing g/n, tried forcing n. Connects in b, limited in g, never in n. The laptop has a broadcom n adapter.

Tried 20MHz, get OK speed for about a min, then lose it again.

Out of ideas. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spudato7

I'm having similar problems with the horizon box also

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

have u tried giving the laptop a static ip and turn off dhcp on the laptop???

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I live in a small apartment, the horizon box is in the living room and i get 0 (none at all) internet in the spare bedroom / office!

Is this normal? Had magnet before and was fine as we had a router in the hall way, now the horizon box acts as a router i think and its a room further up (hallway is perfectly in the middle of all rooms)

Magnet has the apartment wired up with cables so could use an ethernet cable in the office if needed etc, upc had to run a cable all the way from outside the apartment through the hallway into the living room to have TV / internet there. All wall connections for internet do not work anymore now.

Anybody have any tips or advice how to get internet in the office?

Static ip-ing does work I've done it and seems to be working well

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Should we change our IP to static and then the box has a wider range?

I cannot get any signal in my office now... ridiculous?
    spudato7 wrote: »
    Static ip-ing does work I've done it and seems to be working well

• Advertisement

Yurple wrote: »
    Should we change our IP to static and then the box has a wider range?

I cannot get any signal in my office now... ridiculous?

It's not that the box would have a wider range it's that it would connect more easily so you should give it a shot sure you can easily undo it I have had to buy range extenders which are terrible but they have to do but static iping definately helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Why would setting a static IP put a stop to issues with a connection dropping out?

Same thing is happening to me but i only seem to have trouble with windows devices. I have 3 laptops, one is running linux and has no issues the other two have Win 7 and keep dropping out. Phones have no issues either.

Laptops are used in the same room as the box so its not a distance problem.

Tried changing wifi channel, tried changing frequency etc and nothing solves it.

I havent had a chance to try an old wifi router as an AP yet. Will give it a go during the week.

When a laptop has that yellow triangle over the wifi range it can mean it had trouble obtaining an IP address so if you static up it it connects easily as rarely does that anymore

Advertisement