Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Salthill, quickest way?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

I know it's a bit short notice, but hopefully someone will see this before I leave. I have to be in Salthill tomorrow for 12 noon. I don't know Galway City well at all and, my only recent experience of driving in the city involved terrible traffic and endless traffic jams. I'd rather avoid those again, if possible, as I can't afford to be late.

Google Maps wants me to go through the city centre, but won't that involve terrible traffic, especially in Eyre Sq? According to Google's map of the route, there is a turn off at the G Hotel roundabout that will take me on to the R338. This then runs into the R864, which will take me directly into Salthill itself. It is going the long way around, but I get to bypass the city & all of its traffic completely.

Is this what I should do, or should I stick with what Google Maps and my sat nav will probably tell me to do? Also, do R338 and R864 have names that they are known locally by, just so I'll know them if I see a street sign?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Howdy folks.

I know it's a bit short notice, but hopefully someone will see this before I leave. I have to be in Salthill tomorrow for 12 noon. I don't know Galway City well at all and, my only recent experience of driving in the city involved terrible traffic and endless traffic jams. I'd rather avoid those again, if possible, as I can't afford to be late.

Google Maps wants me to go through the city centre, but won't that involve terrible traffic, especially in Eyre Sq? According to Google's map of the route, there is a turn off at the G Hotel roundabout that will take me on to the R338. This then runs into the R864, which will take me directly into Salthill itself. It is going the long way around, but I get to bypass the city & all of its traffic completely.

Is this what I should do, or should I stick with what Google Maps and my sat nav will probably tell me to do? Also, do R338 and R864 have names that they are known locally by, just so I'll know them if I see a street sign?

Thanks.
    I would suggest stick to the N6 dual carriageway the whole way til you cross the bridge over Corrib river after which it is no longer called N6.

There 4 major signalised junctions on this route before the bridge but you won't b waiting to long at lights. Signs for salthill will appear at traffic lights at Galway shopping centre before the bridge. Straightforward route to salthill from there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ok thanks for that. Does the route still take me through the city, or do I bypass it if I just follow the signs for Salthill? The signs appear before the bridge over the Corrib, but the road itself will be after it, right?

Ok thanks for that. Does the route still take me through the city, or do I bypass it if I just follow the signs for Salthill? The signs appear before the bridge over the Corrib, but the road itself will be after it, right?

Yeah that's right when you take the dual carriageway you bypass the city. The closest youu come to city is traffic lights at shopping centre where you turn right for bridge and salthill. That's where you will get slowed down but the delays are not as bad as when we had all the roundabouts

That's brilliant. Thanks. I presume I run into this dual carriage way, after I come off the motorway?

That's brilliant. Thanks. I presume I run into this dual carriage way, after I come off the motorway?

Yup once you see the green N6 signs you can't go wrong safe journey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Type Salthill into google maps on your smartphone. It'll give you the best way.

Thanks D Trent, I got there save and sound, with very little hassle or traffic. Had time to spare to stop for brekkie too. :)

Advertisement