Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to claim back tax

Options
  • 04-03-2014 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to claim back tax, using taxback.com or the e-tax software found on the Australian gov website? Looking to get back as much as possible, im doing it for my girlfriend who was taxed an awful amount doing her 4 months work so im hoping to get it all back as she didn't earn over 18k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tonydude wrote: »
    Whats the best way to claim back tax, using taxback.com or the e-tax software found on the Australian gov website? Looking to get back as much as possible, im doing it for my girlfriend who was taxed an awful amount doing her 4 months work so im hoping to get it all back as she didn't earn over 18k.

If she only worked for 4 months she may not be classed as a resident for tax purposes and may get very little back. Definitely don't use taxback.com whatever you do. They are a rip off. Best way would be to use etax.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was she only here for 4 months.
    Or did she only work 4 months out of a longer stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

it was more like 3 and a half months she was working with em before we started travelling and I don't think she was classed as a resident , is there any way to find out?

Hi guys, im still trying to figure this whole thing out, she has been in Oz for 10 months total and we are leaving on Thursday coming and would like to have the whole thing sent off before we leave. Ive downloaded the e tax 2013 but that only does returns for 2012-13, help please

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Dont go near tax-back.com..... Way too expensive, Avoid like the plague

• Advertisement

Pogmothone wrote: »
    Dont go near tax-back.com..... Way too expensive, Avoid like the plague
    How else can I get it done

How else can I get it done

You can do it yourself.
    But you need to pay attention to the other posts. You weren't a resident for tax purposes in australia. If you clicked that box on the form with your employer, then you probably underpaid tax. Filling out a return will probably mean you owe the ATO more money.

Mellor wrote: »
    You can do it yourself.
    But you need to pay attention to the other posts. You weren't a resident for tax purposes in australia. If you clicked that box on the form with your employer, then you probably underpaid tax. Filling out a return will probably mean you owe the ATO more money.

She was classed as a non resident when she started, is the process easier if I just fill in a returns form instead of trying it online.

She was classed as a non resident when she started, is the process easier if I just fill in a returns form instead of trying it online.

Online is the easiest. way to do it imo.
    Return form is the same process, just a bit drawn out with the extra boxes.

You can estiamate the tax you should pay based on earnings, situation etc. I'd try that out to see if she paid extra.

What you are classes as when you start doesn't affect how much you should have paid. As she wasn't here 6 months, non-resident was correct.

The 18k tax free threshold only applies to residents. Her tax rate will be high as a non-resident, I think its 32.5%

So, say she earned $15,000, the correct amount of tax would be $4,875 before any deductions for expenses.

Advertisement