Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit check issues

Options
  • 03-03-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm being refused credit and I don't understand why. I don't buy what I can't pay for. I have had a couple of disputed bills in the past few years, took legal advice and didn't pay. I would have gone to court in both cases - the matters just went away.

Recently I have been refused credit and am going through the process of getting a report. My issue is why should I only become aware of a poor credit rating when someone runs a quick check on me? Surely citizens are entitled to be informed that they have been put on a credit 'blacklist'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

babarino wrote: »
    I'm being refused credit and I don't understand why. I don't buy what I can't pay for. I have had a couple of disputed bills in the past few years, took legal advice and didn't pay. I would have gone to court in both cases - the matters just went away. .

Seems something didn't just go way ,

• Registered Users Posts: 42 babarino

Gatling wrote: »
    Seems something didn't just go way ,

Quite obviously the case, which I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

It's hardly fair that someone can have you put on a blacklist without you being informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

I'm curious as to why you say it's unfair? You didn't pay the disputed bills, what did you expect those companies to do, ignore this? As you can see, it seems they've had the final word. Credit history is exactly what it says and whether or not you think it unfair, it is your history with credit / bills that's shown. Harsh, maybe, but if they don't get you one way, they will another!

Bof No1 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you say it's unfair? You didn't pay the disputed bills, what did you expect those companies to do, ignore this? As you can see, it seems they've had the final word. Credit history is exactly what it says and whether or not you think it unfair, it is your history with credit / bills that's shown. Harsh, maybe, but if they don't get you one way, they will another!

I didn't ignore the bills. In both cases it was they that ignored me when I made my case. One was a bill for a service I had already paid for - a tale of two telecoms providers. I provided proof of payment. The other was a cowboy builder, whose defective and unfinished work I've been living with for over three years. No point suing - they went bust, I wouldn't see a cent.

Why should a registered company tarnish an individual's name without the individual being informed? It goes well beyond 'harsh'. They shouldn't have the the final word, without me being given a right to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

First off, I didn't say that you ignored the bills, I asked you if you expected them to ignore this. Secondly, your name isn't tarnished, your credit history could be. As your credit history isn't in the public domain, your name isn't called into question. Third, all of this is speculation, until such time as you find out for sure that there is a problem with your credit history and if there is, that it pertains to the problems with these bills. Fourth, if the information in your credit history is incorrect, you furnish the relevant proof that this is so and any wrongs will be righted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why should a registered company tarnish an individual's name without the individual being informed? It goes well beyond 'harsh'. They shouldn't have the the final word, without me being given a right to reply.
    Maybe you should get your credit report first and see what details need to be contested or amended before blaming anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

In Ireland anyway, it's highly unlikely that a bill from a telecom provider or a builder can affect your personal credit rating, that privilege is generally confined to certain bodies who are members of the ICB.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/credit_ratings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

jor el wrote: »
    Yeah, pay your bills. If you can't get credit anywhere there's probably a very good reason and it's probably for the better.

I think credit history lasts 5 years, so in 5 years (if you stay clean) you'll be OK.

Lay man nonsense, it is possible but mainly with interested party agreements

slimjimmc wrote: »
    In Ireland anyway, it's highly unlikely that a bill from a telecom provider or a builder can affect your personal credit rating, that privilege is generally confined to certain bodies who are members of the ICB.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/credit_ratings.html

100% on the money

First off, I didn't say that you ignored the bills, I asked you if you expected them to ignore this. Secondly, your name isn't tarnished, your credit history could be. As your credit history isn't in the public domain, your name isn't called into question. Third, all of this is speculation, until such time as you find out for sure that there is a problem with your credit history and if there is, that it pertains to the problems with these bills. Fourth, if the information in your credit history is incorrect, you furnish the relevant proof that this is so and any wrongs will be righted.

Not that easy pal, unless you live in parallel universe with no bureaucracy. Collecting data required for correction for average individual a near impossible task requiring C.I.S. @ min.

• Advertisement

First off, I didn't say that you ignored the bills, I asked you if you expected them to ignore this.
    And I didn't say that you said I ignored my bill. They ignored my response to their bills.
    Secondly, your name isn't tarnished, your credit history could be. As your credit history isn't in the public domain, your name isn't called into question.

Businesses clearly have access to information about me, which they can pull up in seconds, which I'd like an opportunity to challenge. I have to go through a bureaucratic loop to do so. I'm from a small business background. People who don't stump up for what they get have a tarnished reputation.
    Third, all of this is speculation, until such time as you find out for sure that there is a problem with your credit history and if there is, that it pertains to the problems with these bills. Fourth, if the information in your credit history is incorrect, you furnish the relevant proof that this is so and any wrongs will be righted.

I don't think there can be any doubt that there's a problem. All I'm saying is why do I have to have to find this out by accident. There is some speculation as to where the problem lies (I was trying to satisfy your curiosity.) When I'm furnished with the report I'll then have to set about addressing the problem. It's a complete waste of time. Had I been brought to court for non payment it would be open, done and dusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Businesses clearly have access to information about me, which they can pull up in seconds, which I'd like an opportunity to challenge. I have to go through a bureaucratic loop to do so. I'm from a small business background. People who don't stump up for what they get have a tarnished reputation.

Whoever looks at your credit history, must have your prior permission.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Whoever looks at your credit history, must have your prior permission.

If you believe you have nothing to hide you give permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm from a small business background. People who don't stump up for what they get have a tarnished reputation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the above statement and the fact you're seeking "credit" leads me to think you might be seeking a business credit facility. Yes?

If it is your business credit rating that's the issue here then there are many other private commercial rating agencies other than the ICB may indeed hold ratings on you.

You should ask your lender for the name of the credit rating bureau, then contact that bureau for your rating history.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

The ICB is not always correct. I have seen guys who have defaulted on loans and this was not recorded on the ICB print out that they got.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the above statement and the fact you're seeking "credit" leads me to think you might be seeking a business credit facility. Yes?

No.

muffler wrote: »
    Maybe you should get your credit report first and see what details need to be contested or amended before blaming anyone else.

I haven't named anyone so how can you say I'm blaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I haven't named anyone so how can you say I'm blaming?
    Really? I never said you named anyone but I did say you were blaming someone or some business based on the following comments from yourself.........................

Why should a registered company tarnish an individual's name without the individual being informed?
    It's hardly fair that someone can have you put on a blacklist without you being informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm being refused credit and I don't understand why. I don't buy what I can't pay for. I have had a couple of disputed bills in the past few years, took legal advice and didn't pay. I would have gone to court in both cases - the matters just went away.

Recently I have been refused credit and am going through the process of getting a report. My issue is why should I only become aware of a poor credit rating when someone runs a quick check on me? Surely citizens are entitled to be informed that they have been put on a credit 'blacklist'.

If you are being refused credit by someone like a mobile phone company for a bill-pay phone then it has nothing to do with your credit rating but al to do with their own credit scoring software.

Is it possible that wherever you sought credit they were using their own credit scoring software rather than actual credit ratings?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you are being refused credit by someone like a mobile phone company for a bill-pay phone then it has nothing to do with your credit rating but al to do with their own credit scoring software.

Is it possible that wherever you sought credit they were using their own credit scoring software rather than actual credit ratings?

Yes this is possible. If the report comes back clean, is it possible to get feedback on their credit scoring software?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Really? I never said you named anyone but I did say you were blaming someone or some business based on the following comments from yourself.........................

No, I'm guessing, so I'm left to conjure up difficult dealings I've had of late. I know it's not mortgage, bank loans and am irked that I have to go through bull**** to find out.

What's your problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes this is possible. If the report comes back clean, is it possible to get feedback on their credit scoring software?

No, the staff in store will have been told to follow what the computer tells them or face being sacked. often people who you would expect would be very high risk are accepted without a problem or even deposit while much more secure persons get asked for huge deposits or just get a flat refusal.

Is there any possibility/what is the likelihood that someone has stolen your identity?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No, the staff in store will have been told to follow what the computer tells them or face being sacked. often people who you would expect would be very high risk are accepted without a problem or even deposit while much more secure persons get asked for huge deposits or just get a flat refusal.

Is there any possibility/what is the likelihood that someone has stolen your identity?

It's possible given an incident I've had recently with a transaction, which I didn't authorise.

One check concerned a department store credit card, and at the time I was pleased it was declined:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out from old thread and moved to new thread. Please do not drag up old threads.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

And the Credit check report came and there were no problems with it.

We were worried that it was more serious. Thanks for the insight of those in the know. It seems that you can be refused credit when there isn't problem with your credit rating and various companies, like Vodafone, use their own sources to come up with an inaccurate finding...and at the moment I couldn't be bothered pursuing it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think at least one of the private scoring firms (experian, Equifax, etc) tries to operate here. These buy data from wherever they can and sell to firms that would not usually be ICB members

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

And the Credit check report came and there were no problems with it.

We were worried that it was more serious. Thanks for the insight of those in the know. It seems that you can be refused credit when there isn't problem with your credit rating and various companies, like Vodafone, use their own sources to come up with an inaccurate finding...and at the moment I couldn't be bothered pursuing it with them.

I've worked for a major telco company in the sales dept, specifically bill phones. Let me confirm that their scoring system is just unbelievably backwards. Yes means no. I was able to sell bill phone contracts to unemployed 18 year old people without any issue. The system rejected people who were earning huge sums of money and had great jobs. I was embarrassed to have to tell a surgeon that she was flat out rejected ( even though she was out of contract with another telco and was spending way more ) and that her husband, a teacher, had to pay a €300 deposit. The scoring software was created in the usa and nobody could explain why it was rejecting sound customers.

Advertisement