Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheehans Butchers (The one closest to Tesco in Douglas)

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

They have an offer on of 10 for £10 on chicken fillets. This seems like a good deal to me. Does anyone know if the chicken is fed healthily or is it injected with chemicals and stuff to make it grow bigger?

Thanks

*Hopefully a mod can change the title to Sheehan Brothers and not Bresnans. Too early, my apologyies

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If its the same Bresnans as have a stall in the english market , then you can trust it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I find them very small compared to others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Why not just ask the butcher? I'm sure they could answer your question and if they can't... well, it's up to you but I'd steer clear. A butcher should know where his meat is coming from. If you want to be sure of it being free of antibiotics and not corn fed, just ask is it organic. At that price I can't imagine they are. At least check if they are antibiotic free.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Bacchus wrote: »
    Why not just ask the butcher? I'm sure they could answer your question and if they can't... well, it's up to you but I'd steer clear. A butcher should know where his meat is coming from. If you want to be sure of it being free of antibiotics and not corn fed, just ask is it organic. At that price I can't imagine they are. At least check if they are antibiotic free.

I really doubt they would tell me if they were organically fed. Although I suppose all the information I need to know is in the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i would say ask, they've answered every random question i have asked them anyways,

and to be fair to their offers they don't just tend to ship in cheap meat to sell cheap, i have always found their meat is top quality

• Advertisement

I really doubt they would tell me if they were chicken fed. Although I suppose all the information I need to know is in the price...

Chickens eating chickens!! :eek: :P

If they won't say or don't know, assume the worst. Not much you can do if they lie to you but I'd be surprised if they would. At that price I would say they are swimming in antibiotics and are corn fed. Can they even say if they're Irish chickens or imported? Also, don't fall for "free range". The term means very little and only refers really to how tightly packed the chickens are in their housing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Oops. I meant Sheehan Brothers and not Bresnans. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I love that butchers prices are great and they staff are loverly in there very honest.

They probably would tell you as they have to in regard to customer service, if you took it away and discovered that it was chemically feed then they would be lying to you. Fine you would have to do a lot to prove them wrong other than that you will have to trust them..

They will tell you if tis corn feed chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Oops. I meant Sheehan Brothers and not Bresnans. My mistake.

I think the mods should change the title, I always felt there is a distinct difference in quality (and price) between Sheehan Brothers and Bresnans. I know which one I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Bresnans Butchers chicken fillets are boned fresh in store each day from Clonakilty chickens ... they are Antibiotic, Hormone & GM FREE ... I usually pay about €2 per 6oz fillet and they are superb. They always do heaven boneless skinless thighs for curries & casseroles.

Sheehans Butchers chicken fillets are taken from gas flushed tubs processed in clearing houses in the Netherlands(hence the NL1234 number on the label). The chicken originates in Brazil & Thailand. It is then barrel roll pumped with 10-12% water and stabilisers to give it up to a 4 week shelf life once gas flused.

You choose ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I find them very small compared to others

Nothing wrong with small breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Got 10 for 8e in cork meat company on South Douglas road last week. Grand for curries etc

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Got 10 for 8e in cork meat company on South Douglas road last week. Grand for curries etc

Grand for curries they may well be but they're probably still stuffed full of antibiotics, GMO corn and who knows what else.

To maybe get an idea of what "better quality" chicken costs... in the English market one of the butchers sells antibiotic free fillets, medium size, for €1.50 each. Not organic though. Farmers market in Mahon sells organic fillet for €2.50 each. Seeing prices like 10 for €8/10 is a big red flag IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I think the mods should change the title, I always felt there is a distinct difference in quality (and price) between Sheehan Brothers and Bresnans. I know which one I prefer.

If Sheehans are nearest Tesco are Bresnans the ones nearer to the post office? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Bresnans Butchers chicken fillets are boned fresh in store each day from Clonakilty chickens ... they are Antibiotic, Hormone & GM FREE ... I usually pay about €2 per 6oz fillet and they are superb. They always do heaven boneless skinless thighs for curries & casseroles.

Sheehans Butchers chicken fillets are taken from gas flushed tubs processed in clearing houses in the Netherlands(hence the NL1234 number on the label). The chicken originates in Brazil & Thailand. It is then barrel roll pumped with 10-12% water and stabilisers to give it up to a 4 week shelf life once gas flused.

You choose ...

And although they might have a 4 week shelf life....once they are opened, this drops to 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

You choose ...

Sweeping statement .....I hope you have proof of this before posting ?

If you are talking of Clonaklity chickens, are you referring to Shannonvale ?

Andip wrote: »

Ya...all there chickens (except the 5lb ones) are supplied by Shannonvale in Clonakilty, including their free range

I actually buy nearly all my fresh meat from bresnans but every now and again you have a poor man week! I know the difference between good quality meat and cheap stuff but if you're stuck you won't taste the difference in a curry but to be honest it wasn't really a saving as they halved in size when they hit the pan anyway!
    I was there earlier and they'd chicken thigh pieces very cheap which would be grand I'd say...I just got tempted by an apricot and something or other stuffed pork steak for a fiver!

The man obviously knows his stuff in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Someone mentioned the Cork Meat Company. I don't know if anyone has noticed but my parents bought meat from them before and it is wasn't even Irish, never mind being from Cork despite the misleading labels. Lamb from New Zealand etc... I thought it was very poor form when the label said it was "Irish" (closer inspection revealed it not to be).

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the Cork Meat Company. I don't know if anyone has noticed but my parents bought meat from them before and it is wasn't even Irish, never mind being from Cork despite the misleading labels. Lamb from New Zealand etc... I thought it was very poor form when the label said it was "Irish" (closer inspection revealed it not to be).

Nothing wrong with New Zealand lamb as long as they are not trying to market it as irish.

Nothing wrong with New Zealand lamb as long as they are not trying to market it as irish.

I visted aukland back in 2011 and a NZ leg of lamb in a supermarket was more expensive than had i bought the same size NZ leg of lamb in Ireland...thats what is totally confusing about the world food market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Will people ever learn, you bloody well pay for what you get, if it's too good to be true, then it usually isn't.
    I would rather buy meat from a traditional butcher at a normal price rather than cheap stuff from a fancy 'butchers' shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I visted aukland back in 2011 and a NZ leg of lamb in a supermarket was more expensive than had i bought the same size NZ leg of lamb in Ireland...thats what is totally confusing about the world food market

Its cos 95% of lamb is exported. Theres a real demand there

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

would a MOD please fix the title of this thread. It's factually incorrect and very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Good point.

The thing about CMC was that they seemed to be marketing foreign meat as being Irish. I doubt they were breaking laws in how they did it but misleading stuff nonetheless...

kub wrote: »
    Will people ever learn, you bloody well pay for what you get, if it's too good to be true, then it usually isn't.
    I would rather buy meat from a traditional butcher at a normal price rather than cheap stuff from a fancy 'butchers' shop.

That's fine if you can afford it, but in effect you are saying if you can't afford butchers prices then you should be deprived of eating meat.

I'm sure most people here would love organically reared meat but reality is that for some it's just out if budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

That's fine if you can afford it, but in effect you are saying if you can't afford butchers prices then you should be deprived of eating meat.

I'm sure most people here would love organically reared meat but reality is that for some it's just out if budget

That was not my point, just wondering what is the problem with the likes of The English Market, just old fashioned butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a whole other discussion, but eating a smaller amount of good quality meat is probably better for you than eating cheap meat meals every day of the week. Quality vs quantity.

In our family, we eat meat/fish less than half our dinners and lunches, because we try to eat good quality and budget for it. Plenty of protein in lentils, beans, pulses, eggs for all the other days. Eating smaller amounts, or just using the different cuts (chicken thighs /wings or a whole chicken instead of just breast) is a good way to deal with tight budget. I don't think I've bought chicken breasts in a decade. The rest of the chicken is much better value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement