Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7yr old bedwetting a lot suddenly

Options
  • 04-03-2014 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

My son is 7 and has started to wet the bed 1 - 3 nights per week for no particular reason.

It could be that he is tired but his routine is the same, bedtime is the same and there are no late nights.

It could be that he is drinking too much before bedtime but we've restricted drinks in the evening.

He says that everthing is ok, that nothing is bothering him, but I am getting worried at this stage.

He was having issues at school with some children, he says that is all ok, but I am wondering if it would be worth asking his teacher just to keep an eye on matters in the yard again.

Then again, maybe it's a phase boys go through?????

Any tips or advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Anne Other wrote: »
    My son is 7 and has started to wet the bed 1 - 3 nights per week for no particular reason.

It could be that he is tired but his routine is the same, bedtime is the same and there are no late nights.

It could be that he is drinking too much before bedtime but we've restricted drinks in the evening.

He says that everthing is ok, that nothing is bothering him, but I am getting worried at this stage.

He was having issues at school with some children, he says that is all ok, but I am wondering if it would be worth asking his teacher just to keep an eye on matters in the yard again.

Then again, maybe it's a phase boys go through?????

Any tips or advice?
    It might be worth going to the GP, bedwetting could be a sign of diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It might be worth going to the GP, bedwetting could be a sign of diabetes.

And ask the teacher for an update on what is going on in both the classroom and in the playground. If indeed there is stuff happening at school it will need to be picked up.
    You mention no routine changes, any other changes like house moves/bereavements/difficulties having happened he might have picked up on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Thank you,

I will go to the school about it.

I can check his blood sugars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

On one hand, it isn't unusual for boys of that age, my 7-year-old son wet himself most nights until a year or two ago, we ended up using the Rodgers Bedwetting alarm to get him out of nappies at night.

However, when he is anxious he is still likely to wet the bed, so don't write it off as a "phase" - I think "phases" is just another way of saying "we never figured out why it happened".

Our son is having trouble with a boy in his school, but it was hard to have him admit it. He understood the bullying behaviour as a sign that the older boy didn't like him so his solution was to try to be a better friend to the bully. This is a normal enough response to bullies, thinking that they will stop if they get to like him more.

As a result, he doesn't say anything direct against the other boy, and it's hard for him to admit that the other child intimidates or scares him. Instead he would say that the boy is his friend, but sometimes he wishes the boy would play differently. We can be quite adept at lying to ourselves.

There could be other sources of anxiety - has he taken up any new activities that he perhaps is finding hard, or feels he is not good enough at? Children can be so hard on themselves sometimes.

ectoraige wrote: »

Our son is having trouble with a boy in his school, but it was hard to have him admit it. He understood the bullying behaviour as a sign that the older boy didn't like him so his solution was to try to be a better friend to the bully. This is a normal enough response to bullies, thinking that they will stop if they get to like him more.

As a result, he doesn't say anything direct against the other boy, and it's hard for him to admit that the other child intimidates or scares him. Instead he would say that the boy is his friend, but sometimes he wishes the boy would play differently. We can be quite adept at lying to ourselves.

This is my son to a tee also, he's had trouble before and said nothing. At his parent teacher meeting I was told he's too kind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Children do often internalise worries and fears; one on hand you could have a kid that explodes and lashes out, on the other one that may present with tummy aches, headaches, bed wetting etc. No harm getting blood tests and ruling out any physiological reasons behind the bedwetting but worthwhile exploring the emotional side too. Good luck. Interested to hear the outcome of the GP and School.

Thank you.

He was proud as punch this morning telling me he didn't wet the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 denis_pf

Hi, You mentioned the Rodger bedwetting alarm. Where did you get it as researching the alarm for my child at the moment and wondering how successful it is. Is it rodger.ie ?
    ectoraige wrote: »
    On one hand, it isn't unusual for boys of that age, my 7-year-old son wet himself most nights until a year or two ago, we ended up using the Rodgers Bedwetting alarm to get him out of nappies at night.

However, when he is anxious he is still likely to wet the bed, so don't write it off as a "phase" - I think "phases" is just another way of saying "we never figured out why it happened".

There could be other sources of anxiety - has he taken up any new activities that he perhaps is finding hard, or feels he is not good enough at? Children can be so hard on themselves sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would definitely go to gp first. It could be a urinary tract or kidney infection, diabetes or if he is slightly constipated or has a bowel problem it can press on the bladder and make him wet the bed, also ad someone else set it could be a sign of diabetes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Go to a GP and check first if there are any physical causes, like a UTI, or pressure from the bowel. Rules those out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

denis_pf wrote: »
    Hi, You mentioned the Rodger bedwetting alarm. Where did you get it as researching the alarm for my child at the moment and wondering how successful it is. Is it rodger.ie ?

Yes, that seems to be a new website from the same people, we went through
    http://www.bedwettingalarm.ie/ but it's the same company.

Do go to the doctor first to rule out any physical issue. Also, if you have health insurance that covers medical devices, you may be able to claim some back if prescribed by a GP, we did through the HSF, although they weren't immediately amiable to it.

Advertisement