Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

miller82 - in the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

tunney wrote: »
    Onto someone who has been knocking around the board for a couple of years but someone I know little about - miller82

* What sports did you do growing up?
    * When did you start triathlon?
    * Strongest discipline?
    * Weakest discipline?
    * Best race?
    * Worst race?
    * Favourite race?
    * Most expensive piece of kit?
    * Average weekly training hours?

* What sports did you do growing up?
    My first sport was soccer at the age of 7 maybe. I was fairly useless and never enjoyed it. Started playing Gaelic football and Hurling. Loved them both and was decent at the small ball. Played rugby then for a good few years on top of that as well. For a few years I had one or two sports on a day, which possibly has stood to me with Triathlon. Eventually packed in all team sports about 6 or 7 years ago

* When did you start triathlon?
    This will be my 4th season

* Strongest discipline?
    Swimming

* Weakest discipline?
    The bike probably

* Best race?
    Hard one to nail down to be honest.
    Galway HIM in my second year is one that stands out. I had being doing okay up to then but felt I took another step up that day..... still nothing amazing, but just personally i felt i improved.
    Other races I would feel good about :
    IM Austria 2013 - it all ran smoothly
    Double Oly Athy 2013 – highest finish
    Caroline Kearney 2013 – first (and only…for now :P )AG podium

* Worst race?
    Tri an Mhi last year was horrendous, just horrible. The swim was shortened which put me in a stinker straight away and then the conditions were just brutal. Hated every moment
    Shout out to Black sod in 2012 – hated every second of it. It was just too late in the year for me
    The swim in DCT last year – I just had a stinker.
    Dublin city marathon 2013. Horrible horrible horrible !!!!!!

* Favourite race?
    IM Austria & Beast of the East and really enjoy Bray aquathlons

* Most expensive piece of kit?
    The Bike I suppose – Planet x- Stealth

* Average weekly training hours?
    At the moment …. About 12/13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What do you do for crust?
    Favourite meal - across the courses and plonk?
    5 dinner guests you'd have around for dinner.
    How long are you doing tri?
    IM Austria, cracking performance. :cool: Just hit me when I saw RQs post. Apologies, I was convinced you had gone sub 10. A cracking showing all the same. What sort of volumes and hours did you put in for this?
    Was sub 10 always the target or did it evlove as training progressed?
    What are your times like for HIM, OLY & Sprint?
    5k, 10k & HM pbs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

37 seconds, 37...does it still hurt? :)
    Are you going to do another IM?
    What was your target for DCM 2013?
    What are your plans for 2014?
    Favourite discipline?
    Favourite session?
    Ultimate goal in tri?
    Whats your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Dream bike?
    What runners do you wear?
    Did you go straight into tri or did you do some running or cycling etc first like most did?

37 seconds, 37...does it still hurt? :)
    Favourite discipline?
    Favourite session?
    Ultimate goal in tri?
    Dream bike?
    Did you go straight into tri or did you do some running or cycling etc first like most did?

does it still hurt?
    ha, yeah a little maybe :-) sometimes i get annoyed with myself. Ironically i was too disciplined with my strategy and that cost me a sub 10hr

Yes i will :-) .....Austria 2015
    Initially sub 3.15. as the weeks passed and i was carrying an injury and motivation was zero, i realised that was slipping away. The wheels came off on Foster Avenue and i was reduced to a combination of walk, run and stop/stretch. ended up with the exact time i did in IM Austria 3.36

Simple enough... improve on Oly distance races.
    Hopefully two AG podiums. Take a good chunk off my best bike times and more consistant with run times.

Favourite discipline?
    Swimming. I do enjoy the bike but i'm way off where i should be

Favourite session?
    generally anything where i hurt and push myself. so swimming generally.

Ultimate goal in tri?
    I dont really have one ultimate goal.
    would love to do Norseman.
    aiming for sub 9.30 in Austria 2015.
    and just to see steady improvements over the next three years before i start to slow up :)

Dont have one really. never been a crisp person.

Dream bike?
    oooh, tough one. I'm not a bike nut, but love looking at pretty ones :P My next one will probably be a Scott

religiously sticking with Mizuno wave inspire

nope, straight in to tri.

pgibbo wrote: »
    What do you do for crust?
    Favourite meal - across the courses and plonk?
    5 dinner guests you'd have around for dinner.
    How long are you doing tri?
    IM Austria, sub 10, cracking performance. :cool: What sort of volumes and hours did you put in for this?
    Was sub 10 always the target or did it evlove as training progressed?
    What are your times like for HIM, OLY & Sprint?
    5k, 10k & HM pbs?

Trustee analyst

I love a lot of food. at the moment, my favourite food is sweet potato wedges made in coconut oil with a bit of honey. And raw chocolate the bird makes. She's vegan, so my diet has changed a fair bit the last two months or so.
    Only getting in to wine the last few months too, so wont comment yet.

I'll keep the dinner party light
    John Delaney - just to call him a **** to his face and then tell him to leave my dinner party immediately and take his bag of cans with him.
    Brian O'Driscol - serious man love
    Prince - i just think he's cool
    Ross O'Carrol-Kelly
    Eva Mendes for when the other four leave - given my choice of guests, i'm not sure she will still be there when they leave

4th season

Peaked at about 22 hours (swim bike run gym yoga). Average was probably 15-18

Honestly, i didnt think i would get that finish. i was thinking, sub 11.30 was within me, and going well, sub 11. Didnt let myself think much more than that.

I'm no sprinter anyway thats for sure. I havent developed that gear
    I'm not sure what is my best distance, but i reckon HIM. I love the Oly distance though, its perfect in terms of demand on your life and the race itself. But i probably should focus more on slightly longer ones, but need to improve the bike.

5k - 19m i think
    10km - 39m in tri, 38m in straight race..... doesnt add up
    HM...1.33 in wicklow HM (cycled down from dublin though) and 1.38 in tri an mhi, 1.28 in Double Athy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

You say your next bike will probably be a scott, that means you have one in mind. Which one are you looking at?

Are you a member of a club?

Are you coached or ever looked at being coached?

4 years in tri, how long did you wait before Ironman or did you go straight for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi miller82

did you follow a generic plan for ironman? if yes, who did you follow? or did you get coached?

swimming is your favorite discipline, have you been a swimmer all your life or did you take it up later on

have you many races planned this year and are they mainly oly and HIM

joey100 wrote: »
    You say your next bike will probably be a scott, that means you have one in mind. Which one are you looking at?

Are you a member of a club?

Are you coached or ever looked at being coached?

4 years in tri, how long did you wait before Ironman or did you go straight for it?

I don't really. I have looked at their range. I have funny measurements.... 6ft 2 with long legs and shortish torso. Was told scott and Canondale suit me

Yes - pulse

No and thought about it but not much more.

Did IM last year, so it was my third season and a year too early IMO.

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Hi miller82

did you follow a generic plan for ironman? if yes, who did you follow? or did you get coached?

swimming is your favorite discipline, have you been a swimmer all your life or did you take it up later on

have you many races planned this year and are they mainly oly and HIM

No coaching. I didn't follow any specific plan. It was a combination of a few I suppose. Also had a boardie member here with previous experience to run it by

I love swimming. I started when I was a kid. Went with my cousins to glenalbyn from the age of 8 to 11 maybe ?? They were all class swimmers. I was mediocre but obviously learnt good technique. Even 20 years later when I started the swimming with pulse it stood to me.

A good few yeah. All oly for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello Miller. :)

82? Is that your year of birth?

If swimming is your best and favorite discipline, then what is your background in it? And are you currently coached? (apologies if this is duplicated above....just saw the other posts/answers)

What is your 400 free time? (meters or yards is acceptable ;)) And is this a dive start? On blocks?

How are you at butterfly? 100 or 200 time? (again, meters or yards is acceptable)

Jammers or briefs to swim in at practice?

How far can you swim underwater without a breath?

Which side do you naturally breathe to? And in a race, what is your typical breathing pattern?

Phelps or Thorpe, and why?

Kick or pull, which is your weapon?

Have you any tattos? If so, how many, of what, and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'm doing an IM this year, its only my second year. Like you my bike is my weakest. I know its too early for me to do an Ironman, but one of the reasons I'm doing it is to improve on the bike as I have no choice to be on it lots this year. I'm hoping to build a solid base for seasons ahead.

Are you seeing improvements on the bike this year?

Have you found it hard to build speed back into your running after the IM?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello Miller. :)

82? Is that your year of birth?

If swimming is your best and favorite discipline, then what is your background in it? And are you currently coached?

What is your 400 free time? (meters or yards is acceptable ;)) And is this a dive start? On blocks?

How are you at butterfly? 100 or 200 time? (again, meters or yards is acceptable)

Jammers or briefs to swim in at practice?

How far can you swim underwater without a breath?

Which side do you naturally breathe to? And in a race, what is your typical breathing pattern?

Phelps or Thorpe, and why?

Kick or pull, which is your weapon?

Have you any tattos? If so, how many, of what, and where?

It is :)

Can I come back to you on that ? I did one last year(time is on a TT thread somewhere ) will do one this week ...it's about time :)

AWFUL . I wouldn't even clock myself

Jammers

I have no idea actually.......I have a feeling I'm not good at it

Always bilateral ( unless waves to one side) and every three

Phelps. Aussies annoy me a little

Pull. My kick ain't up to much.

I do. An ironman one (slightly different to the normal stamp :p) on the inside of my upper arm

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I'm doing an IM this year, its only my second year. Like you my bike is my weakest. I know its too early for me to do an Ironman, but one of the reasons I'm doing it is to improve on the bike as I have no choice to be on it lots this year. I'm hoping to build a solid base for seasons ahead.

Are you seeing improvements on the bike this year?

If you know its too early......... ;)
    Save yourself the 5k, get a turbo and wait until year 4 would be my advise.
    I got sucked in because a large group from the club were going and i knew that would help for training and mates were going. if you have no mad rush, i would wait.

hard to tell on improvements. I havent got too serious yet this year. finally got a proper bike set up and feel i have a bit more power (placebo perhaps). Did okay in the club 20km TT.... i have no idea how much was new bike set up and how much was bike improvements.

Not really. I always had three types of run training
    endurance
    tempo
    interval.

I never really totally abandoned the speed work too much. possibly though, i havent gauged it too much so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Over the course of your IM how much time do ya reckon you spent looking at you watch / computer? + / - 37secs?! :-D

Shaved legs? Now or ever?

Biggest food vice?

Do you do much stretching? Before or after?

You've done DCM, Duathalons, Aquathons and Tri / IM... You say your bike is your weakest discipline, would you look at doing a rr / tt or getting involved with a CC to supplement your Tri Club?

Mars bars or snickers?

Lager or Stout?

What's more important to you, looking good going slow or looking wrecked going fast?! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

StaggerLee wrote: »

Off topic I know and I apologise. Not sure why you think this would be the case. I saw huge run gains when training for an IM. My times the following season were a lot faster.

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    Over the course of your IM how much time do ya reckon you spent looking at you watch / computer? + / - 37secs?! :-D

Shaved legs? Now or ever?

Biggest food vice?

Do you do much stretching? Before or after?

You've done DCM, Duathalons, Aquathons and Tri / IM... You say your bike is your weakest discipline, would you look at doing a rr / tt or getting involved with a CC to supplement your Tri Club?

Mars bars or snickers?

Lager or Stout?

What's more important to you, looking good going slow or looking wrecked going fast?! :-D

ooohh. fair point...BUT.... i was trying to not focus on chasing a time. i really didnt want to blow up on the run. i was also getting a bit delirious and was close to cramping, so my only focus was keeping her lit !!
    I heard the MC announce something about making the cut off, when i was a few hundred meters from home, but couldnt get it together to work out what he was talking about or to push any harder

not now, probably never

chocolate !!!

i do. in the gym and after cycles and runs

I have considered it. and it was something i "talked" about - i do that a lot. it didnt transpire this year. I would like to do a rr, as i love the racing element of bikes.

Mars

hhhmmm.. probably lager

I do triathlons.... so looking good is key right ????
    I tend to go balls out in most training sessions and races (i shouldnt so much), so looking good, normally isnt an option

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What is the furthest distance you've ever swam? biked? ran?
    What box sets do you own?
    Chase or be chased, which is better race psychology for you? Or is it always just your own race?
    What nutrition did you use for IM?
    What physical attribute would you change and why?
    Do you ask your oh for permission to do big races?

Oryx wrote: »
    What is the furthest distance you've ever swam? biked? ran?
    What box sets do you own?
    Chase or be chased, which is better race psychology for you? Or is it always just your own race?
    What nutrition did you use for IM?
    What physical attribute would you change and why?
    Do you ask your oh for permission to do big races?

IM

Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Luther
    The Wire
    Flight of the Concords (more people need to watch this)

Gerally my own race, but on the bike, i would play chase more. On the run i dont like feeling like i'm being chased.

Nutrition was one area i let myself down on, through out the IM process. Only got it together in the last two weeks or so.
    On the day i was eating power bars - cookie ones
    herbalife in two of my bottles from the start and the third being rotated with water and iso out on the course.
    may have thrown a rice cake in to me in transition (with peanut butter and jam.....TRY IT !!). was horsing a fair bit in to me out on the run course. could have done with more salt sachets

give myself a bigger arse :D my glutes are lacking and i have suffered in a few ways as a result

nah not really. she'd be cool about it. she was in triathlon before me and did an IM before me (and was pretty good), so she gets it :) she's completley done with it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

miller82 wrote: »
    IM
    nah not really. she'd be cool about it. she was in triathlon before me and did an IM before me (and was pretty good), so she gets it :) she's completley done with it now though.

Is your girlfriend Christie Wellington?
    What time she do the IM in?
    I saw the mention of 5k :eek: for Austria, can you give me guideline figures of what it totted up too?
    Are you a dub or are you a blow in?
    Favourite movie character?
    Favourite scene from a movie?
    Have you ever done a selfie?

catweazle wrote: »
    Is your girlfriend Christie Wellington?
    What time she do the IM in?
    I saw the mention of 5k :eek: for Austria, can you give me guideline figures of what it totted up too?
    Are you a dub or are you a blow in?
    Favourite movie character?
    Favourite scene from a movie?
    Have you ever done a selfie?

Ha, nope
    I think maybe 12 hours ish, but the wheels came off badly on the run and messed up her time.
    She won a fair bit at sprint and oly races before she packed it in. Fairly Impressive stuff and a hell of a lot more than I have achieved.

No no, those 5k and 10k times were unrelated to Austria. My run time was 3.36 in Austria.

Proper Dub

Ooh tough one......too hard to pick, so over the last few years......
    Johah hill In wolf of Wall Street
    The dude - big lebowski
    Donnie Branco just popped into my head

Again, recently, wolf of Wall Street has some ridiculously funny scenes. I wasn't expecting to laugh as much.

A selfie.....negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello again Miller. :)

So you had a 10 hour IM - what were your splits?

What were your splits in your best HIM?

How are your T1 and T2s?

What is your biggest weakness in a race?

What is your biggest strength in a race?

Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

Do you tend to show up early, on time or late for things?

When you're all alone in your car with your radio blasting your favorite tunes, do you unapologetically sing your little heart out?

How much do you weigh?

What is the strangest or potentially most annoying habit you have?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello again Miller. :)

So you had a 10 hour IM - what were your splits?

What were your splits in your best HIM?

How are your T1 and T2s?

What is your biggest weakness in a race?

What is your biggest strength in a race?

Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

Do you tend to show up early, on time or late for things?

When you're all alone in your car with your radio blasting your favorite tunes, do you unapologetically sing your little heart out?

How much do you weigh?

What is the strangest or potentially most annoying habit you have?

Good questions

Splits.....hhhhmmm I think ......
    Swim - 59
    Bike - 5.15
    Run - 3.36
    And then a few mins between the transitions but nothing too out of line

Best HIM splits
    Haven't actually done that many. I did Galway in my second year (36.22, 2.37, 1.43 = 5.06)
    Tri an Mhi in my third year but the swim was butchered !! (13.35 (750m) 2.53), 1.38)
    And did athy double but that's not proper distance really (49.10, 2.21, 1.28)

Transitions are okay. Could shave a bit off . Got stuck with my jersey over my head at Joey hannon last year - not good but generally avoid comical mishaps.

Race weakness - probably not being aggressive enough in the swim or on the run when I'm hurting convincing myself I'm not a runner and someone looks faster so allowing myself accept being passed.

Strength in a race - discipline and being able to dig deep

Rituals .....hhhhmmm always need my porridge !! No matter how hard I try not to, with out fail, as soon as I zip up the wetsuit my bladder fills !! Drives me nuts

Early or on time

Occasionally yes :)

Weight - eh at the moment just above 13 but have lost about 1.3 stone in the last 6 weeks which wasn't planned so trying lift it up !!

Loads !!! Too regimental , always looking at what's next, and can be a stresser. Heard them a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

as soon as I zip up the wetsuit my bladder fills !!

Surely that's just part of the warm-up...;)

cjt156 wrote: »
    Surely that's just part of the warm-up...;)

well played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey sir.

any bucket list of races,
    ideal location to go for a swim, cycle, run.
    ever done any bike races, or would you consider it.
    If you could train full time, in an IM how fast do you think you could go.
    any phobias

now the serious question
    If you could pick a super power what would it be.

thanks

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hey sir.

any bucket list of races,
    ideal location to go for a swim, cycle, run.
    ever done any bike races, or would you consider it.
    If you could train full time, in an IM how fast do you think you could go.
    any phobias

now the serious question
    If you could pick a super power what would it be.

thanks

Alpe du'huez triathlon and Norseman probably....BUT been told i will need to think about making my triathlon "career" shorter then planned due to a back issue, which means as unlikely as they were before (especially Norseman) it is highly unlikely either will happen now and i will have to pack it all in a lot sooner than i would want.

two nicest places i have swam so far.... Glendalough and Klagenfurt.
    Cycle...i like to suffer a bit, so i prefer some climbs, ideally up a mountain, with vews. The Sally gap always blows me away a little everytime. Run... tough one. somewhere quiet, allowing no interuptions in the run, preferbly early . I love running when on holidays .... central Park, around san fransisco, etc

no but i would yes.

hhhmm, with full-time and focused cycle and run training... i would have thought sub 9 anyway ????

Phobias... nothing major. snakes freak me out (like most people i'm sure), scrapping the ice on a freezer box is the worst sound in the world to me, and the fear of the day i stop triathlon training :mad:

The power to "bing"(copyright) yourself anywhere in the world by simpling blinking really hard.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The power to "bing"(copyright) yourself anywhere in the world by simpling blinking really hard.
    Youre a bit late with the copyright. :)
    giphy.gif

Oryx wrote: »
    Youre a bit late with the copyright. :)
    giphy.gif

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. Similar technique but different powers

Advertisement