Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does polenta add to a dish?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm trying a new dish this week that calls for polenta to be sprinkled on some chicken before it's cooked. I've never used or tried polenta before and not sure I want to buy a whole (packet? can? jar?) of it just in case the dish doesn't work out.

I've googled polenta and it's apparently a corn meal but most of the references online are about turning it into a porridge type goop, not about sprinkling it on chicken before frying (obvs). So all things being equal, will I notice the polenta if I use it, or more correctly, will I notice it's absence if I don't?

(For ref, the dish is the spicy cajun chicken from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just gives it a bit of a crispy topping I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm trying a new dish this week that calls for polenta to be sprinkled on some chicken before it's cooked. I've never used or tried polenta before and not sure I want to buy a whole (packet? can? jar?) of it just in case the dish doesn't work out.

I've googled polenta and it's apparently a corn meal but most of the references online are about turning it into a porridge type goop, not about sprinkling it on chicken before frying (obvs). So all things being equal, will I notice the polenta if I use it, or more correctly, will I notice it's absence if I don't?

(For ref, the dish is the spicy cajun chicken from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals)

We've tried that recipe. Turned out really nicely. It put a crispy coating on the chicken , chicken turned out really juicy and tender too any time we've made it. Not sure if that's anything to do with the polenta, probably not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

I haven't seen Jamie's recipe but I've made cajun breasts like that by mixing breadcrumbs, cajum seasoning and parmesan. Dip the breasts in egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs. Leave to stand in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour and then pop into the oven. As I suspect Jamie might be applying the polenta directly you could just trry seasoned flour instead ie flour with the cajun spices, salt & pepper mixed in That would certainly crisp up the outside of the breasts. Polenta might make for a nicer end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ok, sounds like no harm in getting some polenta to give it a shot. Next question: where would one find it in one's local Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I picked some up in Lidl yesterday for €1.50. They have an Italian type foods promo on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

works on roast spuds too adds a crunch to them ,funny stuff nice mixed with some parmasan and rosemary then fried in slices but always ends up migrating to the back of the press over time and only pops up now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Normally don't like polenta slabs - but was in Drury Buildings restaurant a few weeks ago in Dublin - they fried the polenta with cheese in the middle. It was very, very fine.
    "Head to Lidl, buy polenta, rosemary and cheese" now added to the to-do list!

theres a lovely cake recipe by that irish chef,cant think of his name.its an orange polenta cake with a rosemary syrup,made it a few times it was fab, it's also handy if you make your own pasta.it stops the pasta sticking together and falls away in the cooking flour makes it a bit claggy.Now I think of it polenta has a good few uses but I still cant think of the chefs name.

Nevin McGuire thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Think this can be added to pizza dough too.

• Advertisement

corn bread with peppers(the hot ones Finely chopped)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

semolina will do the trick for you to coat the chicken if you can't find polenta, they are basically the same thing from what I've seen on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh had these deep fried polenta triangle things with sea bass and aioli for lunch a wee while ago. Have no idea how they were made but I would kill for that recipe now. They were fecking yummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

in the US (south) we just call it grits

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I make that JO chicken all the time. The polenta really makes a difference, adds a lovely crunch.

The recipe is great because the chicken cooks in no time at all because you bash it down to a thin thickness before frying. I keep meaning to make a few chicken breasts and use it a roll for lunch. I'd say it'd be great with some coleslaw and salad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

EZ24GET wrote: »
    in the US (south) we just call it grits

Is that what grits are? They always remind me of the film My Cousin Vinny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Me too! :) It was only 'on' recently. Great film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Me too! :) It was only recently. Great film.

It's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I love Grits in the US; but not a fan of "mashed" polenta.
    2 of my favourite US meals were shrimp n'grits (Vidalia in Washington DC and Magnolias in Charleston; even thinking about them now makes my mouth water.)
    Apparently they're near-enough, but not-quite the same thing (http://www.thekitchn.com/polenta-versus-grits-whats-the-difference-187807) - the result of frantic googling inspired by what I initially thought was an extreme food shallowness, liking/disliking food based on name. But turns out, I'm not a fussy eater. Relieved.

[I have been very proud of not being a fussy eater since I was a child]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Grits are very versatile. You can eat em like mush, you can combine them with other things(like tomato cheese and onion , seafood, ham or sausage) eat them poridge with milk and sugar, let them set up a bit and slice and fry them either with syrup for breakfast or as a base like a cracker sort of or like you might use like you would use rice.Cornmeal under a pizza or bread helps it release from the baking board, and they can be made from yellow or white meal there must be a way you like them cause there are so many ways of using them

• Advertisement
Advertisement