Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on Groody Village, Limerick?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm hoping to stay in Groody Village in limerick next year. I'm hoping to go to UL.
    Is Groody good for security, distance from UL, noise? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Groody is around a 15-20minute walk from the campus. Can be a bit of a trek but if you've a good rainjacket or a bike, you should be grand!

Securitywise, its surrounded by a six foot fence and they have their own security lads check the place. You need to scan your key to get in past the gates so its very safe.

Noisewise, its a student village so can go either way. I live down that way myself and generally find people migrate to town/Stables near 11 at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Internet is a b!tch.
    Overall a nice place at a competitive price vs campus accommodation.
    No shuttle bus to college though, unlike neighbouring accoms Troy and Brookfield. If you've a bike or don't mind the walk, you're sorted but 15/20 min walk is worse than it sounds when you've 4/5 9 o clock starts and weather outside is windy/rainy/icy/sleety or just very cold.
    It is a nice place to live though given your housemates are decent, I was blessed this year with 2 quiet ones.. :)
    If you're on ground floor, like myself, you might have to tolerate the sounds of walking around/furniture moving from apartment above you.

To summarize, lovely place to live really bar 2 things.
    1. Noise can be an issue, luckily, gates keep most of it out, but it doesn't mean people living there are silent either. Might sometimes get people knocking on windows and stuff and rag week is bound to be rough, although hasn't been too bad so far.
    2. Internet. When you use ethernet cable it isn't too bad, but wireless is absolutely diabolical. It's just so unreliable. You can spend hours trying to reconnect and get a proper connection to no avail. Other times then it can be flying. I'd definitely invest in an ethernet cable if you haven't already though as if you've research to be doing that needs the internet, you're almost guaranteed a connection using the wire whereas wireless is a coin flip.

Don't mean to drive people away from it, and sure many more people love the place, just my review.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmmaLinnane

Reiver wrote: »
    Groody is around a 15-20minute walk from the campus. Can be a bit of a trek but if you've a good rainjacket or a bike, you should be grand!

Securitywise, its surrounded by a six foot fence and they have their own security lads check the place. You need to scan your key to get in past the gates so its very safe.

Noisewise, its a student village so can go either way. I live down that way myself and generally find people migrate to town/Stables near 11 at the latest

do you know if many first year students go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Theres usually a mix of first years everywhere, except the student estates (though you do get some adventurous enough to chance their arm!). Don;t worry, you're in walking distance of everywhere and you'll probably be put in with other 1st years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Highly recommend Groody.
    On campus (Plassey/Kilmurry) is better for 1st Year though . . .
    That is not to say that you will not have a good time wherever you go! ! !

• Advertisement
Advertisement