Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Management Framework 3.0 and error 0xd00000bb

• 04-03-2014 1:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else found a solution for this problem?

The specifics:
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64, configured as a read-only domain controller.
    • .NET Framework 4.5.1 installed.
    • PowerShell ISE is installed.
    • All patches current.

The problem: Attempting to install Windows Management Framework 3.0 (KB2506143) appears successful, but on reboot (required for completing the install) the changes are rolled back.

I'm only doing this because I'd quite like to be able to monitor all my servers from the desktop using the Server Manager in the RSAT package; everything else is fine, but this machine just won't play ball. It seems to be linked to the RODC role from other posts I've seen, but despite the patch being almost a year and a half old I can't find any fix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

Windows Management Framework 3.0 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0. You can install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212547

In addition, the following requirements apply:
    1. To install Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE) for Windows PowerShell 3.0 on computers running Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1, before installing Windows Management Framework 3.0, use Server Manager to add the optional Windows PowerShell ISE feature.
    2. Before installing Windows Management Framework 3.0 on Windows Server 2008, you must download and install the version of Windows Management Framework which includes Windows PowerShell 2.0, WinRM 2.0, and BITS 4.0 as a prerequisite. This version of Windows Management Framework is available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929.
    3. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) must be installed as a prerequisite on computers running Windows 7. To install SP1, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/installwindows7sp1

Install WMF 2.0 first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Traitor wrote: »
    Install WMF 2.0 first.

That's only for Server 2008, not Server 2008 R2. I had my hopes up while I double-checked the details for that KB, though.

If all else fails I can remove the RODC role from the server in question, but I'd rather not have to do that. I suppose at least I'm not running Exchange 2010, which apparently has similar issues with this patch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

Yeah, that package had lots of issues. So many in fact, Microsoft had expired it at one point until they could figure out what they did wrong.

Will WMF 4.0 do what you need? It says its for Sever 2008 RC2 SP1, specifically "x64: Windows6.1-KB2819745-x64-MultiPkg.msu".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Traitor wrote: »
    Yeah, that package had lots of issues. So many in fact, Microsoft had expired it at one point until they could figure out what they did wrong.

Will WMF 4.0 do what you need? It says its for Sever 2008 RC2 SP1, specifically "x64: Windows6.1-KB2819745-x64-MultiPkg.msu".

I don't know but shall try it shortly - thanks for the suggestion :)

Fysh wrote: »
    I don't know but shall try it shortly - thanks for the suggestion :)

I tried that this morning but it seems to fail with the same symptoms as WMF 3.0 :(

Looks like the only solution for me remains to demote the RODC, install the updates, then promote it to an RODC again. At least I'm not running Exchange on that box, I guess...

• Advertisement
Advertisement