Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into new shared accommodation - old utility bills

Options
  • 04-03-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

A utility bill has arrived which I'm 2 out of 8 weeks responsible for, as I'm only in the apartment a short while.

Is it reasonable for me to cover my 2 weeks, or should i be expected to cover the 8 weeks?

I'm concerned that the lease perhaps may stipulate I'm responsible for paying the 8 weeks?

Don't want to cause an unnecessary fuss with the new housemates!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

It's a split utility bill, it can't be that much. It's perfectly reasonable for you not to pay or be expected to pay for a full 8 week split but on the flipside I'm sure it'd go a long way towards goodwill with your new housemates if you just kept it simple and ponied up. Think of it like a connection fee if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

We're talking about €50, so it's enough to care about!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No way would I pay that, nobody in their right mind would. Ask them if they'd like to pay off 6 weeks worth of some of your bills from before you met seeing as they're feeling so generous with your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I wouldn't pay for usage that predates my movein, personally. That said, is there a TV license, and when's it due? If there is one and it's paid up for the next half year, they might turn around and ask you for your share of it.

Also relevant - was the room empty before you moved in? If not, you could always say that you're paying a quarter of this (so €12.50 of €50) for the quarter of the time you were there, and they can chase up the outgoing tenant for the rest. If it was empty for that time, they should be splitting the bills one less way for those 6 weeks, since if the bill had showed up then, you wouldn't have been around to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you werent living there so no way would I pay.

its different to the sthread we get like i was on holidays for a month do i have to pay the whole bill in this case yes but your case is different you werrent living there so no way your responsibility. If they didnt get it off the person that moved out before you thats their own problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement