Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hate Repair Wise

Options
  • 04-03-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

One of the things I hate most (in fact I won't do it) is when a family member or friend asks me to reinstall their PC which contains multiple user accounts. :eek:
    I will do it with one account and they can do what they like after that :p

No matter what way you look at it? a machine with let's say three user accounts that has each individuals documents, music, photos and programs etc installed is almost like dealing with three individual machines when it comes to backing up and restoring and is just too time consuming.

What about legit PC repair shops? What do they do in situations like that? Do they even entertain the idea or do they just sort the machine with one account?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Backup indivual files for each user, reinstall OS with initial Temp profile, activate Administrator account and install all necessary software for All Users (MS Office etc.) delete Temp user account and recreate new user accounts (app desktop and start menu shortcuts will be present for all software installed from Admin) and restore indivual files to User / Documents folder (or leave them on root of C in seperate folders like C:/Files/John and C:/Files/Mary so they can move them manually) and you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Uninstalling bloatware and toolbars - jebus I've seen some real beauties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

advertsfox wrote: »
    Backup indivual files for each user

That in itself is a pain when all users decide to have iTunes installed and have tonnes of music and video, not to mention disk space required to hold Temp backup while you do the re-install. While your procedure is fine, it's still Incredibly time consuming for the thanks you get or in the case of a commercial shop, the price you can justifiably charge.

I suppose too it's down to how conscientious the repairer is? I only do it for family & friends and I always complete all updates as I know well they wouldn't be ar$ed doing them themselves :D Actually, that leads me to a second question!

If A machine was left in to a professional repair shop, be it the likes of PCWorld or a private shop and it had multiple accounts and required a clean install,

1. Would they do it?
    2. Do they include all available updates or leave that to the owner?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have worked in a repair shop and we had terabytes of external hard drives that we used to backup. It was time consuming but when you have multiple laptops to repair all at different stages its grand you can be working with one while the other is backuping up or restoring I also would update any Laptop/PC I repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Uninstalling bloatware and toolbars - jebus I've seen some real beauties.
    My younger brother's laptop *shudder*

• Advertisement
Advertisement