Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feathered Steak & Butchers

Options
  • 04-03-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently got into feathered steak on advice from Jamie of course. I asked at my local butchers with whom i would have a good relationship going back a number of years. They were surprised that i asked and actually mentioned Jamie in reference. But they went in the back and pulled out a lovely slab of steak and chopped off 2 whoppers for me. They had no pricing info on it so they charged me a tenner. Great value, best steak i ever home cooked, although it took nearly 15 mins to get it to medium Rare.

Ive since gotten it again a number of times and they told me they mostly sell it to restaurants and i have seen it called out on the menu in my local pub but that's the only time Ive seen it on a menu. Also, it was priced very close to the Rib Eye.

However, the last 2 times my wife has done the shopping the butcher got a bit shirty and said they didn't have any. they may not have but she felt there was attitude in the response. He kept pointing her back to the Strip-loin saying its the same thing, which im pretty sure it isnt.

Does anyone know what the crack is with this meat? Are the butchers suppressing it in favor of the more expensive cuts? Are they in league with the restaurants? Am I a paranoid maniac?

FYI - some description links if you have not heard of it. Americans call it a Flat Iron steak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My new favourite cut of steak is Hanger steak - omg where has this been all my life and sooo cheap, approx Eur 5 for enough for two

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

For each head of beef your butcher does per week he only gets 4 full feather blabes. That equates to about 8 x 8oz steaks at the most...so if a connoisseur steak like this gets publicity it won't be long selling out...try the onglet/hanger steak or ask for a flank steak . These are both supremely beefy in taste and suit hot fast cooking to a medium rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Good stuff, thanks for the advice. The hangar steak does sound interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lidl does flat irons. 5.49 I believe for two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement