Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris

• 04-03-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Heading to Paris over the Paddy's weekend for 4 days, staying in St. Christophers Inn Gare du Nord Hostel opposite the main station in the 10th arrondissmont. Obviously there's the usual fare, Louvre, Versailles, Arc de Triomphe etc. I heard that the Eiffel tower isn't worth it, expensive, insane queues and the view isn't even that good. As I'm currently 26, I unfortunately won't get free museum access so I'm thinking a 2 day museum pass is probably my best bet?

Any recommendations for what to do and what to avoid? I'm well aware that Paris is very expensive so any tips for pubs, restaurants to avoid or seek out and also just general tips for getting around etc are much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Well I'd avoid the area around Gare du Nord for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

If you're into cool cellar jazz clubs, there are a few in Paris that are right out of the movies. Of course, I forget where they are - but we found them in the Lonely Planet guide to France/Paris, and they were 100% tourist free, and pretty cool. Helps a lot if you can dance, but even just to go and watch the hip folks is pretty different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

brownian wrote: »
    If you're into cool cellar jazz clubs, there are a few in Paris that are right out of the movies. Of course, I forget where they are - but we found them in the Lonely Planet guide to France/Paris, and they were 100% tourist free, and pretty cool. Helps a lot if you can dance, but even just to go and watch the hip folks is pretty different.

Thanks man, sounds pretty different to the usual, think I was in a similar type bar in Chicago. Will certainly look into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi Grimm,
    My recommendations are:

Restaurant:
    Au Chien qui fume (the smoking dog.. all those old classic pictures around the place!). Maybe have a look here on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d2087172-Reviews-Au_Chien_Qui_Fume-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Nightlife: Barrio Latino. This is a salsa club near Bastille. If you are going at night-time, check out which nights are the best for salsa. We also went for a salsa lesson on a sunday lunchtime and then enjoyed the dancing (mainly watching the experts at it!) for the afternoon.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d695173-Reviews-Barrio_Latino-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Instead of Tour Eiffel go up the Tour Montparnasse.Its the highest building in Paris.Very small queue if any, much cheaper than Eiffel and another plus that you dont get at Tour Eiffel . . . . . your view actually includes Tour Eiffel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Instead of Tour Eiffel go up the Tour Montparnasse.Its the highest building in Paris.Very small queue if any, much cheaper than Eiffel and another plus that you dont get at Tour Eiffel . . . . . your view actually includes Tour Eiffel!

Nice one! Will definitely fit it in as an alternative to the eiffel tower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Try the Hyatt Regency hotel in Porte Maillot, their roof bar offers an excellent view of the city, just buy one drink and a lot of straws :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

For the best view of Paris from a height, go to the Montparnasse Tower. It only costs about €12 and the lift takes one minute and there is rarely a queue. There is a little restaurant at the top and access to the roof. The Musee Carnavalet in the Marais is dedicated to the history of Paris and is well worth a visit.

Advertisement