Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical work price guide

Options
  • 04-03-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone have a rough guide to pricing electrical installation work and how much to charge for certifying the work or where I could find this out??
    I have a price I use for fault finding work and small jobs but my pricing bigger jobs is all over the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

You talking domestic or commercial work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robinod180 wrote: »
    I have a price I use for fault finding work

So your fault finding work must already include your overheads.
    Therefore use this price + materials

Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 robinod180

Helpmefarm wrote: »
    You talking domestic or commercial work?

Both domestic and commercial work

2011 wrote: »
    So your fault finding work must already include your overheads.
    Therefore use this price + materials

Simples :)

That's only good for small jobs and fault finding work

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That's only good for small jobs and fault finding work

Why?

Do you intend to charge more or less per hour for installation work?

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Why?

Do you intend to charge more or less per hour for installation work?

For bigger jobs you wouldn't be charging by the hour. You would be giving a fixed price. I would just be afraid of leaving myself short or being too high for tendering. I am just wondering if there is a rough guide to go by where I could be a bit more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Pricing for installation work i.e giving a price for a house, nursing home, shop is very straight forward.
    You will be charging x amount per item and total up, e.g x amount per socket, x amount per 1 way light/2way/3way, x amount per tv/phone.
    You will need to factor in other costs e.g for fuseboard, tails, certifying, tails etc.
    Depending where in the country you are the amount you charge will vary as you will need to be competitive in your price.

50 euro a point for domestic materials and labour! Steel conduit installation 60 euro a point labour only and price materials separate as it varies a lot type of containment whether it 2 compartment etc.

I use an estimator too but they get expensive when u pricing 20 jobs to get one! But if ya in the running for a sizeable job no harm to get it double checked b4 u sign on the dotted line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

By estimator I assume you mean a QS

• Advertisement

Electrical estimator they mostly called, your typical construction QS could not price an electrical installation! Most of the time they are electricians with the patients of a saint!

WikiHow wrote: »
    Pricing for installation work i.e giving a price for a house, nursing home, shop is very straight forward.
    You will be charging x amount per item and total up, e.g x amount per socket, x amount per 1 way light/2way/3way, x amount per tv/phone.
    You will need to factor in other costs e.g for fuseboard, tails, certifying, tails etc.
    Depending where in the country you are the amount you charge will vary as you will need to be competitive in your price.
    That's great. That's exactly what I would be doing but it's the rate to charge each is what's catching me really,like you're saying, to be competitive.

50 euro a point for domestic materials and labour! Steel conduit installation 60 euro a point labour only and price materials separate as it varies a lot type of containment whether it 2 compartment etc.
    This is what I was looking for. But I have 1 question for you, are you giving that price per point rate for both lights and sockets??

Yeah I don't over complicate it! As a double check price materials and estimate how long you think it would take and see how it compares to unit price! Where u based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

That's great. That's exactly what I would be doing but it's the rate to charge each is what's catching me really,like you're saying, to be competitive.

That is something you need to figure out depending on your location, for instance i know of an area in the south west that charge around the €30-€35 for a double socket in a domestic situation, that is really cut throat though. :eek:

Perhaps it is not that straight forward.

So €50 for a double socket?
    Does this include chasing a mass concrete wall or is it only for a partition wall made if plasterboard?
    Is this for a switched MK logic plus or a cheaper unswitched unit?
    Would this price still stand if the socket was a long run?
    Does it include modifications to the existing board or part of the supply of the new board?

I take it that this price would not apply to a supply for a 8.5kW shower?

Well he did ask for larger installations! And if you averaged the cheap points with expensive ones you would land near 50! I did say check ur price on materials and labour basis! However for MK an up charge of around 5 euro a point! I was giving the man advice on what I do in my business and I do ok! Anybody could find holes in any price!

Well he did ask for larger installations! And if you averaged the cheap points with expensive ones you would land near 50! I did say check ur price on materials and labour basis! However for MK an up charge of around 5 euro a point! I was giving the man advice on what I do in my business and I do ok! Anybody could find holes in any price!

I know. I agree with the general thrust of your argument.
    I am just trying to make the point that there is a lot to consider.

I assume that €50 per point does not include VAT ?

Ya plus VAT!

Yeah I don't over complicate it! As a double check price materials and estimate how long you think it would take and see how it compares to unit price! Where u based?

Ya that sounds good . I'm in Cork

• Advertisement

If u pricing a job ya want and u want it double checked PM me and I'll give ya my email and I price it for ya if I'm not too busy! See how the prices compare! I'm in cavan so we won't be competing for it! Ha ha

If u pricing a job ya want and u want it double checked PM me and I'll give ya my email and I price it for ya if I'm not too busy! See how the prices compare! I'm in cavan so we won't be competing for it! Ha ha

OTE=Helpmefarm;89596478]If u pricing a job ya want and u want it double checked PM me and I'll give ya my email and I price it for ya if I'm not too busy! See how the prices compare! I'm in cavan so we won't be competing for it! Ha ha[/QUOTE]

That's great. I appreciate that. Thanks. I'll steer clear of jobs in cavan so

Hi, I'm pricing a particular job at the moment which is a refurbishment but most of the existing wiring is staying as it was rewired a few years ago. There is some work to be done to get it done to the new regs standard eg bathroom and kitchen. There will also be new points and a number of changes and additions to the downstairs layout. Would it be better just to charge per hour and materials? Thanks

Advertisement