Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Prices in the Mart

• 04-03-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Does anyone know how sheep are selling in the mart . Was hoping to sell some ewes with lambs at foot , but have heard they are not worth selling at the moment with the prices been very bad . Has anyone been to the mart this week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

If I was doing this and I had good stock to sell, I would sell privately on done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I heard demand isn't great alright. I think guys are holding off buying as grass hasn't started growing yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

Demand low at the min but if the weather takes up and grass grows that will change. 2 year old ewes with single lambs over a month old made 120 and older ewes with doubles making 110-120 and young ewes with doubles making up to 140 today. I bought 5 2 year old ewes with 6 lambs for 110 last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Tullow mart today,2 year old mules scanned in lamb made around 100 euro,broken and full mouthed scotch in lamb to border leicster about 60 to 70 euro.Not a great trade at the moment for ewes in lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Tullow mart today,2 year old mules scanned in lamb made around 100 euro,broken and full mouthed scotch in lamb to border leicster about 60 to 70 euro.Not a great trade at the moment for ewes in lamb.
    Buying in ewes this time of the year is only asking for trouble, unless you can isolate them.
    You don't know what you're buying in or their previous management.
    I could sell 20 of my cull ewes for breeding every year, they really look the part, but I can promise you that you'd know everything about sheep by the time you'd have them lambed, just beware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd only buy breeding stock from someone that is selling a whole flock or getting out of sheep for some unrelated reason. Otherwise you would just get their culls especially in the mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

we always sell breeding(3/4year old cheviots) ewes at the mart and are usually bought by one of our repeat customers, we'd usually have the culls out the week before.

After the 3/4 year make they don't thrive aswell on the hills but thrive on the soft lowland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

On Thursday seen six 2 yr olds with 8 six week old lambs make 115 euro,
    Scanned at 1:9 2 yr olds make 95 to 100,
    And ewe lambs nice speckled scanned a single make 85 euro,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

On Thursday seen six 2 yr olds with 8 six week old lambs make 115 euro,
    Scanned at 1:9 2 yr olds make 95 to 100,
    And ewe lambs nice speckled scanned a single make 85 euro,
    That's small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Any of ye see 3/4 old ewes with singles selling lately ,roughly 6 weeks old

• Advertisement