Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail notications

• 04-03-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi - I have switched from an S2 to an iPhone 5 and I am having problems with my gmail notifications. When I used Gmail on my S2 I used to get notified of every email that entered my inbox, now with push notification it only happens sporadically - sometimes it is fine but other times it is up to 20 minutes late notifying me. I am trying to run a responsive business and need pretty much instant notifications like my S2 used to have. A 20 minute delay can cost me a huge amount of money. Is there any way to remedy this or do I have to pass on my iPhone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Are you using the Gmail app or the Apple Mail app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

What you are looking for are push notifications. Push notifications for Gmail are only possible through the official Gmail app. If you use the standard Mail app, then you can only receive mail by 'fetch' that periodically check for mail (15/30/60 mins) so this is why you are seeing mails appearing at different times.

Google stop supporting push notifications for iOS last year when they shut down their ActiveSync/exchange service. Try downloading the gmail app and see how you get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Google got rid of push email for iOS so that you'd buy an android device. I think you can pay them for a google apps account that'll allow push email, otherwise you're stuck with it polling for mail every 15 minutes at best. Damn you, Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

iOS stock mail app is great and set it to Push..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Zcott wrote: »
    Google got rid of push email for iOS so that you'd buy an android device. I think you can pay them for a google apps account that'll allow push email, otherwise you're stuck with it polling for mail every 15 minutes at best. Damn you, Google.

Not so, I use a regular gmail account (a few, actually) none of which I pay for. I have the gmail app and it pushes mails straight to my phone/ ipad as they come in. Sometimes I'll be at my computer looking at my inbox and my phone will light up with an incoming email before it shows up in my inbox on my computer!

• Advertisement

Not so, I use a regular gmail account (a few, actually) none of which I pay for. I have the gmail app and it pushes mails straight to my phone/ ipad as they come in. Sometimes I'll be at my computer looking at my inbox and my phone will light up with an incoming email before it shows up in my inbox on my computer!

The key issue here is the Gmail app. I don't really want to replace the stock mail app for integration reasons.

Also, to help the OP, there is a workaround using an outlook.com account:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639069

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Zcott wrote: »
    The key issue here is the Gmail app. I don't really want to replace the stock mail app for integration reasons.

Fair enough I suppose. But I have to say I don't notice any problem with integration of the app at all. You don't loose functionality I think. Plus it's far nicer to use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Use Mailbox for Gmail, it pushes email and its a great client. Really missing now that I'm using Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Molto and Evomail+ are 2 good alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Use Mailbox for Gmail, it pushes email and its a great client. Really missing now that I'm using Android.

Was about to mention mailbox, i love it

Advertisement