Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged IKEA product

Options
  • 04-03-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased 2 flat packs from Ikea. When I got home I discovered that one section of one unit was water damaged and cannot be used.
    I know from their website they will have no problem replacing it if I return it to the store.
    However, my issue is I live 70 miles from the store and it will take about a 3hr round trip plus diesel, plus time off work (self employed).
    Before I contact them, I'm wondering what my options/consumer rights are on this.

Can I reasonably expect them to collect the damaged one?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Consumer rights are quite clear; you need to bring it to the store as it's not the store's fault if you drove them somewhere else.

As for other options; do you know someone who're doing work up towards Dublin that could do the switch for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you took them 70 miles from the store so thats your problem. You want it sorted you bring it back to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't expect them to do anything other than replace it in-store, but I would suggest calling them and asking nicely *will* they do anything. They do have a delivery fleet with a set set of rounds around the country, for instance. You might get lucky but it'd be entirely voluntary on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Thanks for the replies. I have 90 days to return it which gives me time to organise something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks for the replies. I have 90 days to return it which gives me time to organise something.

Your statutory consumer rights place a responsibility on you to report any issues promptly as soon as they become apparent so make sure you report the damage to them immediately rather than wait a couple of months until you walk into the store. It also reduces any suspicion that the damage was cause by you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wooooahhhh there a second.

I had an issue with an item I bought there - one of the chest of drawers flatpacks had a piece screwed on the wrong way. They dropped a replacement side panel straight to my door.

Ring them and tell them the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Wooooahhhh there a second.

I had an issue with an item I bought there - one of the chest of drawers flatpacks had a piece screwed on the wrong way. They dropped a replacement side panel straight to my door.

Ring them and tell them the story.

Same here, chest of drawers had the wrong piece in the pack, a quick phone call and they sent out a replacement part, very helpful company to deal with in general.

Advertisement